Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2002

VIEXILE is on a distinguished road
Bahamas Charts??

Is there any reason/experience out there that would caution against the Maptech (paper) charts versus other charts available for the Bahamas? Bluewater Books doesn''t seem to carry Maptech, and I''ve used them with great results from Eastport to Cape Ann. I need to put together the necessaries for the May cruise from Miami to St. Thomas. Lay some cautions (other than "don''t jump the gulf in a norther") on me. I''m basically going to adjust Van Sant''s recommendations to my itinerary, take my time, do the DR and PR (N and S respectively) coasts at night and bang it on home from Fajardo. Once I get to Ponce I know where I am. No hurries, solid boat, new rigging. KW
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-13-2002

carib99 is on a distinguished road
Bahamas Charts??

I''d be interested in crewing for the trip. I''ve been to the Virgins, and I own a Coronado 35 in Michigan. I''m 55 and retired.
(carib99@yahoo.com) Jim
Old 01-13-2002

captsteve is on a distinguished road
Bahamas Charts??

I used Map-Tech to sail from Luperon D.R. to Tampa Bay. There was no difference between the electronic charts and paper charts that I could see. Using both and verifying positions during plotting was most reassurring.
It was great to be able to plot and chart using the computer to enter the Lat & Long into the GPS with the accuracy of the Map-tech program. I was able to rigg my handheld GPS to the laptop but was not able to hook up the ship''s GPS.
The ablity to see realtime postion on a chart was very comforting. In fact when we lost power for my laptop the concern for our position at any given time was a very good reason to plot on paper as well as using the software.
I now have a new programable garmin and garmin is promoting a new Blue-Water CD with noaa charts worlwide. I''m anxious to see how well this new technology works.Does anyone have any info on the Garmin CD Bluewater Charts? ie cost? I was told about $150.
Steve
Old 01-15-2002

VIEXILE is on a distinguished road
Bahamas Charts??

I''m all booked for crew for the trip. People flying in and out all the way down through the Bahamas, DR and PR...thanks for the offer, though....KW