Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Did i ever tell you about the cat I picked up in India. Mean little bastard. Oh, dogs? Korea, ya gotta go to Korea. If they don't work out on the boat, you can sells 'em. $5/lb, dressed out, last I knew.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsailors
I currently own 15 aces and the perfer to play in the bed.
You know what they say, "crazy in the head, crazy in bed."

Vaya con Dios
Old 03-07-2007

LWinters is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to LWinters
I know better than this, but here goes. I sail with two dogs, a 50lb husky and a 70 lb Chesapeake Bay retriever. We got them used to boats by spending weekend trips on freshwater lakes aboard out Catalina 22. There was nothing easy about it, but when they hike out it is something to see!

We are gearing up for longer cruises with the pups, but are making the necessary modifications to the boat, an Allied Mistress 39, and systems to allow them and us the necessary comfort to make it possible. This includes a boarding plank that doubles as a platform from dock to boat and as gangway up and down the companion way. They are astro turf trained and will go wherever we place the turf. When the swell is up this means the cockpit with an overboard toss of the solids and flush of the cockpit with the saltwater wash down pump.

The pups have their own pfd and we will be adding additional nonskid to the deck for the safety of all crew. We also have chest harnesses for them to attach both a tether in heavy weather as well as a hauling purchase that can be used on the mizzen halyard should one go overboard. A 140 gallon water tank + water maker will keep up with the water needs. Food is a challenge we still haven't totally figured out. I am looking at large vacuum packed bags of dry food that can be stored in the chain locker on longer runs or in the bilge (very dry) when at anchor.

Here is the point; every argument made in this forum about sailing with dogs is on the money. However, like anything regarding life on a boat, if you plan, prepare, and take the necessary action it can be done. The difficulty of life with dogs isn't worth it to many. However, there are several of us who wouldn't do it without them. I should also note that in our case the girls are ~ 9 years old are more content to lounge than do anything else. They get winded going up stairs in our house.

As for quarantine, dogs automatically exclude a whole lot of cruising ground. However, using the references already listed in this forum there are many, many places that you can still cruise. Not to mention, new policies have been put into place for the EU. You can do a pre-trip quarantine in the U.S. for dogs going to the UK. This can eliminate the 40 days listed above, but takes some planning up front.

I've been laughing my a** off reading this string. Dogsailors, the folks who post here typically know what they are talking about. I'd try and keep a sense of humor about this topic. God knows you better have one as you heave a steaming pile overboard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-07-2007
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
LWinters - Glad to see someone who plans and is realistic, but you didn't give the boys much to shoot at

M

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)
Old 03-07-2007
A little less cheek

ianhlnd will become famous soon enough ianhlnd will become famous soon enough
Hi Lwinters,

A very thoughtful and experience laden post. Just one question:

WHERE IS THERE ANY WATER IN ALBURQUERQUE???
I had to go to my maps and the only thing I saw was a lake on some indian reservation.

Old 03-07-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
LW...good post. Sounds like a nice one step at a time plan...good luck hauling her over the sand to the Rio Grande. What is your draft...I think it is pretty shoal there??!!!
Old 03-07-2007

LWinters is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to LWinters
You guys ever see the movie Sahara where they "sail" the old plane across the flats? Yeah, it's kind of like that. The good thing is I don't have do much sanding before the antifoulant goes on and no blisters.

I've sailed in the Gulf of Mexico & across Southern CA, but there really is something special about sailing in the high desert lakes of NM. It's pretty cool to be running 7 knots at the base of snow covered peaks. We use our Cat 22 for quick fixes around home. http://www.nmsail.org/

Romance, the Allied, is in her slip in Kemah, Tx. We just got some bottom work and a few upgrades done so will be leaving the desert SW and moving aboard full time this summer. Luckily I commute to TX every 3 - 4 weeks for work so getting the boat hasn't been too bad. I do think I define crazy in some ways. What kind of jackass lives in the desert and owns not one, but two sailboats?

Old 03-07-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
sailaway21-

They only cook a specific breed of dog in korea...one that is raised as a food animal. If you want to sell just any old dog... go to Vietnam instead.

LW-

Well said. And I'd agree with Cam, the Rio Grande is very shoaly...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-07-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
LWinters,
A most excellent post. What makes it great is that you have acknowledged the difficulties and planned for them. And you have not said your's is the right, and only, decision. Would not be surprised to see a future post explaining here's how we did it, and here's the results, or even an admission of, 'I'd never do it again'. It's all in the attitude. I cannot imagine you getting confused over which is more important-the dogs or the vessel. The dog lady, on the other hand, will probably be frying eggs for "precious" when it's really time to be throwing in a reef. Good luck.
Old 03-07-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Seeing how these folks didn't enjoy the answers here, I'm sure they'll LOVE the response to this same thread over on Sailing Anarchy if she posts the same crap there. I've got my pilsner and popcorn ready.