Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2007

goldingds is on a distinguished road
exploring islands

hey all, im planning on going on an overnighter with some friends to a nearby island. im wondering, after anchroing near the island, how can i reach the island itself?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Good opportunity to find out if your friends are really your friends...

If they let you use the dinghy...they're your friends....if they left you to swimm...don't go with them next time....

Good ways to get from A boat to B island:

1) swim
2) dinghy
3) Ground boat on island
4) Open propane wait 15 minutes, light matches
5) use halyard and mast as bow and arch
6) Use elastics and make a catapult

Avoid:

Pole vault
walking on water
Old 03-07-2007

goldingds is on a distinguished road
lol thanks!!
Old 03-07-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Tell me where you want to go....I'll send my moorey booguey board taxi.....

$5.00 round trip....snaks included

Old 03-07-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I prefer the walking on water...but most people just can't do it...

Flying is also good...and precludes having to get wet...which can lead to an uncomfortable evening ashore. However, most boats don't have space for a helipad.

Grounding the boat on the island isn't a bad idea...but if the island has a rocky coast, it usually means finding a different way back to the mainland.

The propane bit is noisy, and sometimes, you fly off the boat and end up in deeper water, rather than getting to the island. Also, this method, like grounding the boat, may require you to find alternate transportation back to the mainland.

Swimming is a good option provided there isn't a strong undertow, a sewage treatment plant nearby or a native population of hungry, toothy fish in the water surrounding the island.

Using the stern arch as the basis for an elastic slingshot isn't bad, provided your crew is willing to haul you forward and let you go. This works best if you are a wombat. Note: see wombatpault...

The halyard and mast option only works if you have a very good backstay adjuster and a fractional rig.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-08-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Properly executed this system with modifications can work. It uses all natural materials and could well solve your problem. Yes there were some teething problems but faint heart ne'er won fair marsupial.

"In retrospect, lighting the match was my big mistake. But I was only trying to save Wayne," Bruce told the bemused doctors in the Severe Burns Unit of Bunyip Bay Hospital. Bruce and his homosexual partner, Blinky Bill, had been admitted for emergency treatment after a felching session had gone seriously wrong.

"I pushed a cardboard toilet paper tube up his rectum and slipped , Wayne, our wombat, in," he explained. "As usual, BB shouted out 'Fosters,' my cue that he'd had reached nirvana, so to speak. I tried to retrieve Wayne but he simply would not come out, so I peered into the tube and struck a match, thinking the light might attract him." At a hushed press conference, a hospital spokesman described what happened next.
"The match ignited a pocket of intestinal methane gas in Blinky's colon. Flames shot out the tube, ignited Bruce's hair and severely burning his face. It also set fire to the Wayne's fur and whiskers, causing it to scurry further up Blinky's colon, which in turn ignited a larger pocket of gas further up the intestine, propelling the marsupial out of the cardboard tube like a cannonball."
Brucei suffered second degree burns and a broken nose from the impact of the wombat, while Blinky suffered first and second degree burns to his anus and lower intestinal tract.
Sadly, Wayne the Wombat did not survive the incident.

It's sad to lose a cousin in such circumstances but it was in the interest of scientific research

ps - As SD has said walking on water s an option but you do need the right parents.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 03-08-2007 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-08-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
TDW...You are one sick Wombat!!

Golding....Ain't you glad you asked?? The answer to your question is in here somewhere!
Old 03-08-2007

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
TDW
Was PITA contacted about this?
Old 03-08-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
I wish I had gotten to this question sooner, but you have already gotten some very good advice. I'm just glad to see that you thought of this before you left on a cruise.

If it were me, I would probably swim. How warm is the water?
Old 03-08-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1
I wish I had gotten to this question sooner, but you have already gotten some very good advice. I'm just glad to see that you thought of this before you left on a cruise.

If it were me, I would probably swim. How warm is the water?
Please...don't be shy....develop....develop...the poster needs ideas.....imagination....work....please..don't let this interesting thread die...