Boston to Bermuda singlehanded in an O'Day 34. Crazy?? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
My main concern with a straight bluewater shot is the lack of experience woolswtr has. Weather planning/routing has gotten much better, and if he had more bluewater experience, I would still be hesitant to have him do the straightshot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Barry...you have to understand the marketing brochures. Off shore means just that...off the shore...otherwise known as coastal cruising!!
In any event...the boat will be fine in bluewater as long as conditions are fine.
The trouble with blue water is that when conditions are not fine and the boat is not fine you have no where to go but down. That is one of the real risks in a coastal boat. The risks in this trip are addative and none will really be important until one thing goes bad.
Old 03-13-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Generally, it isn't any one thing that really screws you over btw... it is a lot of little things going wrong that really screws you.... While people have made bluewater passages in an O'Day, it wouldn't be my choice of boat for doing so. I'd take a Flicka, Bristol Channel Cutter, Cape Dory 28, Alberg 30, or Southern Cross 31 over the O'Day for that type of work...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-14-2007

woolswtr is on a distinguished road
Thank you all for your replies, I very much appreciate the advice.

First in response to the "go south first, then east" idea by sailingdog. I believe it's just about as far from any point on the east coast to bermuda, with Cape Hatteras still being about 550nm and Martha's Vinyard being about 570nm.

In response to sailingfool and mention of the Catalina 36 story on equipped.com, I'd already read this and taken it to heart... but taking the problems with the boat one at a time, I'm not worried. I would bring full replacements for everything in the wheel steering assembly and an adequate tiller; my O'day has never leaked a drop; and I would have all the rigging professionally inspected and would only sail if the rigging was given a clean bill of health.

In general, I disagree that O'days (at least those from the early 80's) are made with the quality attributed to Hunters & Catalinas. I understand that an O'day 34 once won the Marion to Bermuda race in it's class.

I wholeheartedly agree with some shorter singlehanded trips first... I would be taking a singlehanded run up to northern Maine as a shakedown cruise before Bermuda... not way off shore, but definitely out of sight of land.

While the bermuda trip would be way out away from any port, I would at any point in the trip have enough fuel on board to make it either on to bermuda or back to the east coast motoring... this gives me a lot more confidence.

Thanks for all your opinions.

-Mike
Old 03-14-2007

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
Why don't you just do the bermuda 1-2 That way you'll have the company of other boats.

http://bermuda1-2.org/

To late for this year but by the time the next one rolls around....
Old 03-14-2007

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
Doesn't the marion-bermuda act more as a rally than a race anyway? You should just do the race.
Old 03-14-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Mike..I think the SD recommendation for a down south and over trip was more to get you some offshore singlehanding experience BEFORE crossing to Bermuda than to cut down on distance. Your plan to single hand up to maine coastally is OK but you really can't sleep safely in coastal situations like that. A much better test trip would be say Block Island to Norfolk...about 3 days...major shipping lanes and much further off shore.
Anyway....sounds like you are committed to do it and making some good prep steps. You will be either buuying or renting a raft and an EPIRB for the trip right? Also suggest you look into weather routing/gulf stream analysis for the trip as it can help make the trip go a lot faster and keep you out of trouble. What will you be using for communication?
Keep us posted on your progress...will be interested to follow you.
Old 03-14-2007
Coastal Cruiser

Bill Mc is on a distinguished road
If a fellow can cross the Atlantic Ocean from England to the good ol' U.S.A and back in a West Wight Potter. I feel that with enough experience, a good weather window and a dash of good luck you can sail anything anywhere.

Look at what Shackleton accomplished ***

Edit; Take along an EPIRB..

Fair Winds,

Bill

Last edited by Bill Mc; 03-14-2007 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-14-2007
Cabin boy

JimHawkins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool
Mike,
... read this story ...
http://equipped.com/0698rescue.htm
It seems like an awful lot of things broke in a short period of time. Does this suggest the boat was not in seaworthy condition?
Old 03-14-2007

woolswtr is on a distinguished road
In response to those who have suggested participating in the marion to bermuda race, or the bermuda 1-2. I totally agree with the saying that the most dangerous piece of equipment on a sailboat, is a schedule. Thus I'd feel a lot safer not having to leave at a particular time or return at a particular time.

Last edited by woolswtr; 03-14-2007 at 01:01 PM.