Boston to Bermuda singlehanded in an O'Day 34. Crazy?? - Page 5 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2007

saurav16 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to saurav16
To what extent can a Catalina 27 make passages into the ocean? Would it be appropriate to sail from NYC to Annapolis? If so can you do this by staying about 3mi offshore? Would that be safer?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Saura, the boat is fine as long as the ocean is flat as glass. Staying three miles offshore won't matter, because in some parts that will keep you in shoal waters, where wind and current may make them very rough and make things harder to handle. And, you can't just duck in for safety since many parts of the Jersey shore, etc. don't offer you any safe entry or inlets in bad weather either.

It is as much, or more, a question of what you can comfortably handle the boat in, as what the boat can handle. And, what you will have to stay OUT in.

Other than that, your weathercasting skills and your ability to wait for a weather window will probably be paramount.
Old 04-05-2007

saurav16 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to saurav16
So basically in that boat if you hit bad weather or moderatly rough water it could get dangerous for the Catalina 27
Old 04-05-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Saurav...I used to own a C27 and LOTS of summer weather is suitable for working your way down the Jersey coast. I would hesitate to do this with an outboard alone...but if you have an internal engine I don't think there is much danger as long as you can take your time and wait for the right weather.
Starting at Sandy Hook which is a good harbor, you have 3 inlets you can use in good weather...Manasquan, Atlantic City and Cape May. Fortunately you can get to each of them in a long days travel making 5 knots. From Cape May it is up the Delaware, through the C&D canal and over to Annapolis.
If you are confident of your boat handling skills and have a good engine, you can do the trip in good weather without much risk.
Old 04-05-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
The Delaware Bay has some very strong currents and heavy ship trafiic. I wouldn't want to do it with a sailboat with an outbroad on it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-05-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Well, some boats take wx better than others and I know some 28' boats that are perfectly secure in 8' seas and 40+ knot winds. Given a crew that know the boat.

But IIRC 26' is the size that "small craft warnings" are designed for, meaning, it is often uncomfortable or dangerous for boats that size or less to be out in those conditions. In the Northeast, small craft warnings are fairly common, it doesn't take much weather to get that far.

The best thing you can do is to make a habit of sailing in progressively worse weather, to build your confidence and a knowledge of the boats limits. And your own of course. Work your way up to it, and when you are ready, you will know. Or, you may chose to set a limit.
Old 04-05-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
HS, I believe that the small craft length is anything less than 10 meters or 33', not 26', as I've often been told that my boat is a small craft...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-05-2007
Plausible Deniability

Closest I could find on the web was from USCG Station Chatham, which simply says there is no legal definition of "small craft".

I'm sure a more extensive search could find disagreement.
Old 04-05-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
HS-

Just FYI, from the website-

Quote:
A Small Craft Advisory is issued to alert operators of small craft whenever sustained winds of 20 to 33 knots inclusive, and/or seas of 7 feet or greater, are either ongoing or forecasted to develop within the next 12 hours. This criteria is uniform for all U.S. Gulf of Mexico coastal waters, but may differ along the FFCantic or Pacific coasts. There is no official definition for the term "small craft" in the National Weather Service. However, the U.S. Coast Guard considers any vessel less than or equal to 33 feet to be a small craft. The smallest, most weather-sensitive boats can experience problems in lower winds and seas. For this reason, the headline, "Small Craft Exercise Caution," is placed in the forecast for current or predicted winds of 15 to 20 knots and seas of 4 to 6 feet.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-05-2007
Plausible Deniability

SD-
So, an NWS page says the USCG considers one thing, while a USCG station on the uscg.mil web site says another.

Did I mention, a little searching on the web should find some contradictory opinions?