SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Boston to Bermuda singlehanded in an O'Day 34. Crazy?? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/30246-boston-bermuda-singlehanded-oday-34-crazy.html)

woolswtr 03-13-2007 03:44 PM

Boston to Bermuda singlehanded in an O'Day 34. Crazy??

Hi everyone,

I bought my O'Day 34 last year to use as a liveaboard and hopefully more. So far she's been everything I've hoped for. I took one direct shot trip Boston to Acadia (2 overnights at sea) with 2 crew last season with no problems.

I'm contemplating purchasing a Monitor windvane and heading to Bermuda in June to watch the Marion to Bermuda race come in. I don't think I'll be likely to convince any crew to come with me as I'm pretty inexperienced offshore, plus the singlehand experience appeals to me.

My question is... would I be stupid to try this? The boat is in pretty good shape, and I'll go over her thoroughly before leaving, but I can't afford to do any major overhauls (not that I know of any needed).

I'm young and in pretty good shape, so hopefully I wouldn't be the weak link.

Opinions? Encouragement? Cautions? Anyone done this sort of thing in an O'day 34/35 that can comment?

Thank you all!

-Mike

Boasun 03-13-2007 04:04 PM

Take a couple of friends with you and only use your right hand.....LOL

Seriously, see if you can go a few days with only catnaps in place of true sleeping. such as going from Early Friday morning until late Sunday night. And if you find you can do so and with being reasonably sane and awake, then enjoy your trip.

Freesail99 03-13-2007 04:18 PM

I don't think an O'day is the boat to make THIS trip with.

sailingfool 03-13-2007 04:32 PM

Oday 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by woolswtr
....I'm contemplating purchasing a Monitor windvane and heading to Bermuda in June to watch the Marion to Bermuda race come in. I don't think I'll be likely to convince any crew to come with me as I'm pretty inexperienced offshore, plus the singlehand experience appeals to me.

My question is... would I be stupid to try this? The boat is in pretty good shape, and I'll go over her thoroughly before leaving, but I can't afford to do any major overhauls (not that I know of any needed).
.....Opinions? Encouragement? Cautions? Anyone done this sort of thing in an O'day 34/35 that can comment?
....-Mike

Mike,
This board has had several discussion threads about what makes a boat suitable for offshore use, I wouldn't think an Oday 34 so suitable, although you might get there and back just fine. I think this question is similar to the tread as to whether a Catalina 36 is suitable for such use, both are fine coastal boats, read this story and make your own judgement: http://equipped.com/0698rescue.htm

camaraderie 03-13-2007 04:58 PM

Mike...ditto that especially single handed with no ocean experience. You are looking at a week at sea or more, crossing major shipping lanes, out of reach of a port to pull into and crossing the gulf stream. The boat is built for coastal cruising (I had an O'day 32 so I know the build quality).
Sounds like a lot to take on all at once.

In your favor is the time of year and your youth and presumed fitness. I can't tell you "Don't do it" but I'd fell better if you'd done some single handed shorter blue water trips first. Good luck on your decision making.

ReverendMike 03-13-2007 05:12 PM

Crazy, definitely crazy, are you taking your dogs?;)

Are you trying to test my motto? (see below)

bestfriend 03-13-2007 05:32 PM

Just curious, not planning to do it, but what about in a CS34? Coastal cruising only? Thats all I bought it for.

sailingdog 03-13-2007 09:08 PM

If you're planning on going as a straight shot, bluewater only passage, I would recommend DON'T. You could go down the coast and across...but that would take considerably more time, however it would give you significant experience single handing. It could also be done as several short offshore passages down the coast and then west to Bermuda... with the passages increasing in length and difficulty as you go.

AA3NK 03-13-2007 09:29 PM

I might help you out. Presently based in Rockport, MA and I am a long haul rider, 40 hours or more straight through is not a problem.

Single handed is ok but anything can happen, twist your ankle, break an arm, having a spare hand available is an alternative and having alternatives is much more comforting than not.

Bob in Rockport

BarryL 03-13-2007 10:27 PM

Hello,

I don't know if it's crazy or not.

According to O'day, the boat was designed for blue water cruising.
The brochure for the boat is available here:
http://oday.home.att.net/brochures/34b.htm

Of course the brochure is for marketing purposes.

The previous owners of my boat, a 1986 O'day 35, cruised from
the Newport RI area to the Caribbean, and lived there for two years.
I know they did at least one of the trips non stop and offshore.

The o'day is lighter than a 'typica' blue water boat, but that's an
advantage in lighter wind. Compared to many of the race boats that
will be making the trip, the O'day will be more comfortable and probably
safer than many.

Good luck with your decision.

Barry