Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue
Wife's below fixing lunch, Otto's at the helm.
Very nice...
SH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Possibly the USCG tow rope was a proper hawser and simply too thick to be secured to the cleats on the boat.

I've been taught to run a tow rope aft to the mast and secure it around the mast itself if there is no suitable strong point on the bow, but I can see that might not be feasible either, given the sea conditions and the amount of motion it would swing through.

I'd hate to be the PO, explaining why I threw away the recall notice instead of replacing the rudder.
Old 03-16-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
I'd hate to be the PO, explaining why I threw away the recall notice instead of replacing the rudder.
This topic is now on 3 different threads, but I don't think there was any kind of recall.
Old 03-16-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue
thanx sailhog . . . taken while singlehanding to Block Island last summer. Wife's below fixing lunch, Otto's at the helm (Otto's my autopilot).
C'mon TB - singlehanding means having to make your OWN lunch too!!
Old 03-16-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Give me a break . . . life's tough enough without the armchair sailor criticisms.
Old 03-16-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
T34C-
"The rudder breakage on a (since discontinued) composite rudder post was a KNOWN problem to Hunter and they issued a bulletin to owners on the subject in 2005 after 16 reports of failure. "
My foolish assumption, that if rudders were known to break off, a manufacturer would have issued a recall of some kind rather than, what? just sending out postcard saying "Keep an eye on your rudder" ?

AFAIK there is a strict product liability under the Uniform Commercial Code, Magnusson-Moss Act, and other statutes for hidden defects that would pretty much make the builder responsible for coming out and replacing the rudders. (Which is not to say some vendors wouldn't try to ignore that cost.)

Dunno, not my department.
Old 03-16-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra
That's not a cleat. It's a friggin' bollard!
Yep. I have six of them. If they ever give, I'll have bigger problems than a five-inch hole in the deck.

My boat is about as far from a Hunter 45 as you can get, and I suppose we've "sacrificed" good looks, style, some speed (not as much as you'd think, however) and some amenities to go to sea in her. But when I hear stories like this, I think that the sacrifice is on the other human, so to speak.
Old 03-16-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor
but if I ever have to be towed in rough conditions, I think I would use my rock climbing background to try to rig a load equalizing, 3 point harness to spread the load over both bow cleats and the base of the mast. Hopefully, such a bridle tied into a long enough tow line would spread the shock
Your instincts are good. It's the whole idea behind snubbers and other shock-deflection tactics...not to create an overwhelming "point load" that will cause the actual fabric of the boat to fail.
Old 03-16-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
T34C-
"The rudder breakage on a (since discontinued) composite rudder post was a KNOWN problem to Hunter and they issued a bulletin to owners on the subject in 2005 after 16 reports of failure. "
My foolish assumption, that if rudders were known to break off, a manufacturer would have issued a recall of some kind rather than, what? just sending out postcard saying "Keep an eye on your rudder" ?

AFAIK there is a strict product liability under the Uniform Commercial Code, Magnusson-Moss Act, and other statutes for hidden defects that would pretty much make the builder responsible for coming out and replacing the rudders. (Which is not to say some vendors wouldn't try to ignore that cost.)

I almost forgot. Hunter said that rudders are designed to protect the bottom of boats. (All this time I thought they were for steering.)

Dunno, not my department.
Link to Hunter site that discusses this: (Thanks Cam-)
http://www.huntermarine.com/Images/P...2005TuneUp.pdf
Hunter doesn't warrant the rudders of their boats. Of the 16 boats that lost rudders they were able to look at 13 of them. 11 met their design/manufacturing standards. (maybe not high enough) 1 met design tolerances, but not their in-house tolereances. (bad quality control). 1 "may" have had a defect. (again, bad quality control)

Hunters solution: The captain should learn to sail w/o a rudder, and they have made a ss rudder post they would be happy to sell you at a "reduced" cost.

Last edited by T34C; 03-16-2007 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-16-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Steel boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente
Yep. I have six of them. If they ever give, I'll have bigger problems than a five-inch hole in the deck.

My boat is about as far from a Hunter 45 as you can get, and I suppose we've "sacrificed" good looks, style, some speed (not as much as you'd think, however) and some amenities to go to sea in her. But when I hear stories like this, I think that the sacrifice is on the other human, so to speak.
Right on, Valiente! Though a steel boat does not suit us or our normal sailing venues and habits, some years ago I did a down coast trip to California on a Colvin Schooner in steel - not fast, but when the weather hit we had tremendous faith in the structural integrity of the vessel and fittings. One worry down.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.