Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Hey Goose,
Wanna go to the BVI this Christmas and do some research?
Sailhog
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Ohhhh Hello, here we go again.

Let's see.. the Gilbert Islands. That is what, NE of Australia in Micronesia, right? I don't know anything about that particulair island, but lets just say the better part of 2000-3000 miles away. That will be about 3 weeks at sea (each way, mind you).

You just discounted every trawler out there, with a few exceptions: Nordhavn, maybe Krogen, maybe a Marlow (like a Selene) or a few others that might be custom built. Those boats are rare and few and far between. Awesome boats though (Nordhavn being my favorite). Let's see, you should have no porblem picking up a 47 foot Nord for about 1 MILLION or so. Let's say mom and pop millionaire actually have the million dollar yacht and do not mind some company (b/c they have nothing to do now that they have their millions and cannot imagine a place to take their million dollar yacht). It only has 2 staterooms, as I recall. Where are the others going to sleep? Let's say they are all really good friends and they just bunk together (we wont go there), who is going to foot the bill to get that Nordhavn ready to cross the Pacific? That would cost more than the fuel.

Ok, ok, let'f forget the Nord. Scratch it off the list. Let go by sailboat. That is an area we all know better. How many sailboats are prepped and ready to cross the pond, are large enough to accomodate 6 people, and are safe enough to do it. Sure ain't going to be a Catalina. The percentage of boats that can do that is very small. The number of people that want to do it would be even smaller.

Let's say they find someone that wants to do it. It is 2 - 3 weeks there, the same back (assuming no massive breaks). Are these people going to get sea sick? Do they know how to sail? Have they weatherd any storms? Crossing the Pacific is a hell of a crash course to see if they can take it... not the boat.

Of course, they could cut some of that time off by dropping the tub on Yachtwise to Sydney. Oh what, about 35k? Who picks up that bill? Scripps? If so, they should have just chartered their own boat out of Oz and done it themselves.

That is my point. And not to mention what I said before: Does SHE know anything about the people that will be sailing her across the Pacific? More likely she will get some Popeye that could not spell Heave to, much less do it.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-22-2007
2kt wind=trolling speed

goose327 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhog
Hey Goose,
Wanna go to the BVI this Christmas and do some research?
Sailhog
Let me run it past the Admiral,,LOL. Being the a-mature scientist I am I'm sure she'll say "sure honey, whetever you say".

Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?
Old 03-22-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
CD, if you look at the other pages on her web site...You're looking at mainly some PhD candidates trying to do a fairly ambitious project, and I'd bet that simply asking for a support vessel could make the million dollar difference in how much funding they'd need to do it.

I have, in past, had occassion to do some solicitations for charitable groups and events. Sometimes the responses are incredibly generous. Suppose Malcom Forbes's ghost sees it and says "Heck, I'm not using Highlander V for those two months, just take the boat and give me a receipt for the donation."

You never know unless you ask! Somewhere on this planet, there are indeed people who are both willing and able to make her project happen. So what's it cost her to post the message here? Nothing. Stranger marriages have been made.
Old 03-22-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by goose327
Let me run it past the Admiral,,LOL. Being the a-mature scientist I am I'm sure she'll say "sure honey, whetever you say".
You'd better love research. When we're there, it's going to be work, work, work...
Sailhog
Old 03-22-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
CD, if you look at the other pages on her web site...You're looking at mainly some PhD candidates trying to do a fairly ambitious project, and I'd bet that simply asking for a support vessel could make the million dollar difference in how much funding they'd need to do it.

I have, in past, had occassion to do some solicitations for charitable groups and events. Sometimes the responses are incredibly generous. Suppose Malcom Forbes's ghost sees it and says "Heck, I'm not using Highlander V for those two months, just take the boat and give me a receipt for the donation."

You never know unless you ask! Somewhere on this planet, there are indeed people who are both willing and able to make her project happen. So what's it cost her to post the message here? Nothing. Stranger marriages have been made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue
I'm long overdue for a long tropical dive vacation. PM me and I will forward a spreadsheet of projected expenses for my wife and I to share our boat with your research team . . . to be fully reimbursed by SIO of course.
I was actually leaning more towards the serious end of the pool with this. I love diving, adventure and science . . . just lacking the money to do it for three months at a time.
Old 03-22-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Hello,

I hope it does, honestly. I probably worry more about her than the other way around. I have not made that run, but I understand it is not easy. I look back and read what I wrote and realize it came across a bit harsh. Just the reality of it is kinda out of this world.

There is nothing wrong with her idea, it is the specifics that are the detriment. WHo was it that said, "Ahh, but the devil is in the detail..." Wait, I think that was you on a conversation with Dave.Verry a while back!!!

Ok, not to hijack this thread, but wouldn't it be cool if you could do your own research on the reefs??? For me personally, I have the biology and chemistry background. I love oceanography... but don't know much about it, other than, "WOW! Isn't that Nemo!??" (smile).

Neat thought, though.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-22-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Well, if TB is taking her I DEFINITELY WORRY MORE ABOUT HER THAN THE OTHER WAY AROUND!!!

- CD

Just kidding TB

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-22-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
who was it that said . . . "the devil is in the detail..."
I believe it was that famous bauhaus architect - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe.
Old 03-22-2007
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad
Well, if TB is taking her I DEFINITELY WORRY MORE ABOUT HER THAN THE OTHER WAY AROUND!!!

- CD

Just kidding TB
Hey, I resemble that comment.