SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Support Conservation Research Expedition (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/30564-support-conservation-research-expedition.html)

SheilaMarie 03-22-2007 02:41 PM

Support Conservation Research Expedition

Coral reefs have existed for 500 million years but in a fraction of this time over 20% of reefs have been destroyed. Scripps Institution of Oceanography (La Jolla, CA) researchers are planning an expedition to the Kiribati Islands to document changes in coral reef ecosystems across a gradient of economic development. Kiribati represents the full range of human impacts that coral reefs are encountering globally. The ecological surveys will compliment an economic survey on the effect of the changing cash economy. These results will provide a baseline of coral ecosystem health and a blueprint for sustainable development strategies applicable globally.

The most efficient and safest way to conduct these SCUBA surveys is with devoted boat support. We are looking for a boat that could accommodate three researchers and one dive operations manager for approximately a month. This could be a great experience for an experienced owner/operator (a couple or family) to contribute directly to coral reef conservation.

For more information, please visit: http://cmbc.ucsd.edu/gilbertislands/ or

Sheila Walsh
858-344-7182
sheilawalsh@ucsd.edu

Cruisingdad 03-22-2007 02:44 PM

I think the Fasten Seat Belts light just came on.

- CD

Cruisingdad 03-22-2007 03:02 PM

Sheila,

I do not know whether you are for real or not. You have never made a post here, then you post wanting someone to plop you and some buddies on a boat to head out for the reefs. I want to take your post in good faith, but have you considered:

1) The cost of the diesel.
2) The cost of outfitting.
3) Water cap/sewage (or are you just going to dump that on the reefs) on most cruising sailboats?
4) Room inside the average sailboat?
5) Space for gear on the average sailboat?

Have you ever sailed? Do your compadres get sea sick? Can you weather a blow offshore for days? Do you have any idea how many hundreds of thousands of dollars a personal yacht costs?

I know it sounds intersting off the cuff to say, "Hey, lets see if anyone that we have never met would like to take 4 complete strangers on their yacht with them and cut out across the ocean for the sake of coral reef conservation?"

I am not opposed to your theory, but the implications and practicality of it on a maybe 40 foot boat (which would be considered on the large side for most cruising boats) is crazy. You need a research vessell for that or you need to charter a boat yourselves with a captain (assuming you do not know how to sail).

Without exception, on this board, ssca, cruisersforum, etc... you will find a real empathy for the environement and reefs especially. But I don't think you realize what you are asking.

- CD

PS Do YOU want to hop on a boat with a stranger(s) whom you have no idea of their seamanship skills, and hop across the ocean? Ever seen Capt Ron... or more likely Dead Calm???

sailhog 03-22-2007 03:17 PM

CD... I was going to post a similar request, as I'm planning a research expedition that will study the drinking and mating habits of tourists in the BVI during the holiday season. Anyway, I'm going to need to borrow sombody's boat for a full month, as my C30 won't accomodate many of the activities I plan on engaging in. Before your britches in a bunch, think about it... what a GREAT way to contribute to my understanding of the opposite sex... Just PM me if you'd like to participate.
All smiles,
Sailhog

Cruisingdad 03-22-2007 03:29 PM

Sailhog,

Go talk to Ian. He has just the boat for you. Don't believe me, look at his avatar. On my tub, you would be worn out from kids running everywhere, kool-aid staind on the shirt, and you have to be in bed (alone, or with the kids sleeping inbetween) by 8:00. Probably not the ideal research vessel you might consider. Not to mention, when they see my wild boys running around, you ain't gettin nothin', notta, and she will end up joining the convent a virgin!!

- CD

TrueBlue 03-22-2007 03:33 PM

I'm long overdue for a long tropical dive vacation. PM me and I will forward a spreadsheet of projected expenses for my wife and I to share our boat with your research team . . . to be fully reimbursed by SIO of course.

Freesail99 03-22-2007 03:36 PM

Sailhog, you be needing crew ? :)

Giulietta 03-22-2007 03:47 PM

Sailhog...we could use my boat on that research....I'm in... (now who would sail that across the Atlantic????:D :D

It would be great to study married "wild life" too...Then we could use my boat's speed abilities to run away from furious husbands:D :D ...

Sheila, wait a little while, CD is loading his boat so much, soon it will be a fine coral reef, too.

It will be the.... "Y'all Great Texan Catalina Reef"...:D

ReverendMike 03-22-2007 03:52 PM

O my Gawd! Giu, i almost wet myself over that one (sorry CD):eek:

poopdeckpappy 03-22-2007 04:00 PM

Is this the same Sheila Walsh that's is or was a staff writter for GEF, the evironmental group that gets and or has recieved millions in grant dollars to study sustainable development, an ideology that want's to herd mankind into reservations so as not to impact the environment, niether marine nor terra firma ???

just curious