SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   East Coast of Florida to North Carolina (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/30597-east-coast-florida-north-carolina.html)

PBzeer 03-23-2007 12:10 PM

East Coast of Florida to North Carolina

Will be heading north after crossing Florida through Lake Okeechobee and I'm wondering what the best route would be that would allow for anchoring at night, yet not just staying in the Ditch. Not looking to sightsee on the way north, I'll save that for the return trip south. Is it fairly easy to duck back in for the night, or is ingress limited? Can do some allnighters, but would like to keep them at a minimum.

Thanks,

sailhog 03-23-2007 12:43 PM

PB,
I can only speak for SC and Georgia... ingress is limited through here, and it takes a long time to get in and out. A friend of mine who cruises between HHI and Lake Worth makes a point of getting outside and staying outside for 2-3 days at a pop when he wants to make time. From my home port on HHI, it takes me approx. 4 hours to get out far enough to turn left or right for safe passage. I'm going to be making my first overnight sail to Charleston in a month, and that's what I planning on. By the way, Cam sent me a link to this book. You might find it helpful... http://www.whitesoundpress.com/detail%20seinlet.htm

Stop in and say hello when you get to HHI, especially if you come in via Port Royal Sound. You can borrow the family car to re-pro if needed.
Best,
Sailhog

PBzeer 03-23-2007 12:47 PM

Thanks sailhog. I forget, did you say your double-wide had a blue tarp roof? :) Just starting looking at routes, so all info is appreciated. I will give ya a holler though if I'm in the area.

sailhog 03-23-2007 12:52 PM

PB,
The tarp on the double-wide is more of a mauve, but the trim is something of a tope or perhaps a light slate. Sometimes it's hard to see from the water, as it's set against a moonshine operation I've got going here which happens to have been painted from the came color pallet.
Sailhog

sailhog 03-23-2007 12:57 PM

By the way, St. Catherines Sound is a good place to duck in for the night, as the trip in and out is much shorter. Although I haven't done it, I think it's only a couple hours in and a couple hours out if you ride the tides. It's just south of Savannah.
Sailhog

camaraderie 03-23-2007 01:51 PM

John that link is a cruicial resource for your planning.
The problem with going offshore and pulling in to anchor each night is that there aren't enough decent inlets to do that. Furthermore...the in and out mileage from the sea-buoys to the anchorages adds up to MORE mileage than the ICW.
So...it is possible to make a few in and out day trips but not real practical. If you want to make time up the coast...you really need to do some overnighters off the coast. Just to give you an idea of the POSSIBLE day hops in long summer day conditions in YOUR boat.
Ft. Pierce...Cape Canaveral
Canaveral...to Ponce Inlet (not a great inlet...only settled weather tide)
Ponce to St. Augustine
St. Augustine to St. Johns R. (Jacksonvillle Beach)
Jacksonville to St Mary'sRiver (Fernandina)
Fernandina to St. Simons Island
St. Simons to TYBEE Rds. (Savannah River/Hilton Head) VERY long day
Tybee rds. to N. Edisto River...ONLY in settled weather
N. Edisto to Charleston to Wynyah Bay...(George Town)
Georgetown to Little River Inlet (shoaling heavily INSIDE the inlet but no real issues for you)
Little River to Cape Fear...Southport
Southport to Masonboro Inlet (Wrightsville Beach) good weather only
Masonboro to Beaufort.
Stay inside from Beaufort but if you want to sail...head down the Neuse River past the ICW turnoff and out into the Pamlico sound on the Alternate ICW and stop in Ocracoke and Manteo on your way to Coinjock and Norfolk.
Get some charts and dividers and you'll see how this "day tripping" isn't very efficient and how if you can sail for 18-24 hours you can make a lot better progress by staying out instead of heading in every 8-10 hours.
I am going to duplicate post this on the ICW thread since a lot of boats will be heading north soon.

tahoedave 03-29-2007 09:39 PM

John,

Are you still based in Clear Lake, Tx? If so when are you making the trip up the over to Flordia and then up. By the looks of your thread you already made the trip over to Flordia. I was looking at making the trip a few months back but ended up post poning the trip to stay in St. Marten for a few months. I will beheld back to Clear Lake in three weeks to take the ICW over to Flordia and then up to Virginia. Do you have any advice for the trip over to Flordia.

Happy sailing,
Dave

stoutwench 04-01-2007 04:07 PM

John

We started in St Augustine on March 15th and just pulled into Swansboro, NC (20 miles So. of Beaufort). We have really been taking our time and enjoying the trip. Here is what we did.

St. Augustine > St Mary's (Fernandina Beach) outside

St Mary's > Charleston overnight outside - 30 hours to skip Georgia anchored St.Mile 445

Charleston > McClellanville inside too many bugs keep going to Georgetown

McClellanville > Georgetown inside

Wanted to go outside from Winyan Bay to So. Port, but the weather forcast was adverse for the next several days....so we have stayed inside since.

Georgetown > South of Myrtle Beach anchored at St. Mile 375 in Swamp Beautiful anchorage!!!!!! Worth the trip inside.

So. MB > Little River Stayed at Dock Holidays Marina (avoid on weekends)

Little River > So. Port

(Can go outside from So. Port to Beaufort, NC)

So Port > Carolina Beach (St Mile 295) inside

Carolina Beach > Hammock Bay (St. Mile 245) inside

Hope that this helps. We have not pushed hard (did that last year) and have really enjoyed ourselves.

Have a save trip!!!

Roger

PBzeer 04-02-2007 07:51 AM

TD - leaving Clear Lake around the 18th of this month. I posted what info I have on the Ditch between here and New Orleans in your thread.

Roger - thanks for the info. Every little bit helps.

tahoedave 04-02-2007 10:10 PM

John,

I am flying inn on the night of the 17th and will probably be a few days behind you do you hav a phone number to be contacted at.

Dave