Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2007

TCPBob is on a distinguished road
American sailors fight Australian customs

I had quit the forums but now feel compelled to return for this message that I feel is more important than my personal issues.

An American couple are fighting the Australian government and could use support. Click here to read their account. They did everything right according to the information they got from the Australian government and still were prosecuted.

All cruising vessels may have a stake in the outcome of this legal action as the precedent is international in scope.

Vessels that may soon enter Australia must be alerted to what would otherwise be unthought of hurdles and risks.

Also, Australian sailors should know the issues. Maybe you can help.

Australian Customs are totally wrong on this, click here to read my report.

Sincerely

Bob
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
This has already been written about extensively on this forum...

This has to do with the 96 hour announcement of arrival requirement instituted by the Austrailian customs authorities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-04-2007

TCPBob is on a distinguished road
not really sailingdog...

I am aware that the 96 hour thing has been talked about. This is about a couple that is fighting it and I think they have a case that is good. If you remember a few years ago in New Zealand it was a court case that ended their policy of placing requirements on foriegn vessels. This had impact around the world as the legal defeat discouraged other countries from enacting similar regulation. This could be of similar importance and the couple are remarkable for their courage.

It's not about the rule.. it's about a sailing couple taking on the rulemakers.
Old 04-04-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I know that TCPBob... but their plight and story was written up quite a bit a few months ago... on this forum.

See this thread here.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-06-2007

haffiman37 is on a distinguished road
Try as a foreigner to 'drop by' US waters/territory. That is not recomendable!
I did that mistake on my way, and after that I made it a routine to check procedures on the net before arriving next destination.
We arrived Cairns in 2005 from Vanuatu. Did it easy, sent a mail to 'Yachtreport' telling our date of departure and estimated transit time. At arrival , called customs/immigration on the VHF, got permission to anchor until next day for clearance as they did not expect us as early as we arrived. 50knots of wind had given us some extra speed!
Strict, yes, but fair and friendly.
Feel sorry for You, but have to say: Blame Your captain, it is his responsibility.

To me the US waters are no-no zone and the least yachter friendly. Even after clearance, paperwork and whatever, You allways had the Coast Guard as a shadow.
Old 04-06-2007
Telstar 28

Haffiman-

A lot of that is due to two things... the War on Terror and the War on Drugs. Both of which seem to be futile efforts, started by politicians that don't really understand either problem.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-12-2007
Old Salt

Hampstead is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Haffiman-

A lot of that is due to two things... the War on Terror and the War on Drugs. Both of which seem to be futile efforts, started by politicians that don't really understand either problem.
I think that is well said sailing dog.........
The politicians, whom we elect, are at war with everyone....including the electorate........

Our world changed irrevocably back on Sept 11/01..........
Old 04-12-2007
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead
I think that is well said sailing dog.........
The politicians, whom we elect, are at war with everyone....including the electorate........

Our world changed irrevocably back on Sept 11/01..........
The whole world did... Just some people don't seem to have realized it.

Telstar 28
New England