Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2007
johnr

jr438234606 is on a distinguished road
FL.Keys taverns?

Hi All, me and a buddy are sailing to the Florida Keys this summer on my 44' cutter. Don't know the area too well. I'm trying to find local taverns and hot-spots right on the water that you can sail up to. (Don't really want to dinghy in and take a cab.) Anywhere from Key Largo to Key West. Any suggestions?

Last edited by jr438234606; 04-06-2007 at 04:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Buy a good cruising guide to the Florida Keys... it'll have all of the information you're looking for, along with phone numbers, VHF frequencies, and a lot more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-06-2007

Guesser is on a distinguished road
You gotta go the the town of Tavernier; south of Key Largo. Tavernier got its name from thirsty sailors from nearby Plantation Key. There, the sailors stopped to load their ships with fruit from the pineapple plantations and then went looking for some grog before returning to sea. Tavernier became known as such because there was always a "tavern-near". This town was a favorite haunt for Hemingway, and has numerous Taverns and Bars. It's a little touristy, but worth the stop.
Old 04-07-2007

sailboatsandcottagescom is on a distinguished road
sailboatsandcottagescom

Hi I live in key largo and you want to stop at Gilberts just on the south side of the jewfish creak bridge on the inter coastal as you come in to key largo they al so have a gas dock and rooms if you need it for some reason, then hit up the Caribbean club where the movie key largo was filmed and if you make it past those, two hang out the night in button wood bay have dinner at Snooks in button wood bay it is just north of my place Key lime sailing club (were on the web for more keys info or if you just want a sail boat and a cottage we have it.)

Any way Snooks has good food and 2 bars one out side on the water and one inside it is also walking distant's to a electric repair shop and a wall greens that sells beer, wine, ice and hard alcohol .

Depending on your draft you can sail up to the dock or take your shore boat in.
Safe sailing
Old 04-08-2007

owlmtn is on a distinguished road
When in Key West The Green Parrot is the only place to be. It's just about the last remaining locals hangout, happy hour 4-6 is a blast, the juke box is the best (no Jimmy Buffet!), blues on weekends and the crew is the best. Trust me on this one, The Parrot is the best bar in the US. Jim L

PS Don't even mention Jimmy Buffet or you will be subjected to a torrent of derision.
Old 04-08-2007
johnr

jr438234606 is on a distinguished road
Why the contempt for Jimmy Buffet?
Old 04-08-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I think the contempt is for people who mention Jimmy Buffett, not Jimmy Buffett himself...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-18-2007

DemeraraDrinker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlmtn
When in Key West The Green Parrot is the only place to be. It's just about the last remaining locals hangout, happy hour 4-6 is a blast, the juke box is the best (no Jimmy Buffet!), blues on weekends and the crew is the best. Trust me on this one, The Parrot is the best bar in the US. Jim L

PS Don't even mention Jimmy Buffet or you will be subjected to a torrent of derision.
I second the Parrot. There is a harmonica player from New Orleans named Rockin' Jake who plays there every New Year's. He plays in my neck of the woods, too. Its a testament to the great music they have there.

They even have a webcam.

Webcams in Key West FL, Green Parrot Bar- Live Entertainment in Key West

PS Can I say I like Jim Morris?

Old 04-18-2007

prelude is on a distinguished road
In the Keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr438234606
Hi All, me and a buddy are sailing to the Florida Keys this summer on my 44' cutter. Don't know the area too well. I'm trying to find local taverns and hot-spots right on the water that you can sail up to. (Don't really want to dinghy in and take a cab.) Anywhere from Key Largo to Key West. Any suggestions?
Head for boot Key harbor. There is a nice place at the Maratheon Marina. continue down the channel, there you will find Burdines just past the bridge on the west side. Keep going down the channel and you can follow the music to the bar on the east side of the channel (almost to the end) There are many places you can walk once you get ashore.
Old 04-18-2007

simbar is on a distinguished road
I would suggest the Lorelei in Islamorada on the bay side for sunset watching, but I'm not sure if they're back in business after our last big blow. Also, I strongly suggest Alabama Jack's on Sundays for fun and live music. They are on a narrow but deep canal paralleling Card Sound road on the northwest side of the approach to the bridge. Bring your country dancing shoes and have a blast. But be sure to keep an eye on your depthfinder; there is a lot of shoaling and shallow grass in the area, and its illegal to disturb the grass!

Last edited by simbar; 04-18-2007 at 08:49 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.