Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2007

calltrev is on a distinguished road
Question About The ICW

I am just starting to do some research about the ICW in hope of soem day getting out of lakes and the seaway up in canada (quebec). My question may have a simple answer but I have yet to find one. Can a sail boat drawing 6.5 feet stay in the ICW from norfolk to miami without running aground. I have been looking at some charts and for the most part they are pretty clear, but in certain areas I can't tell. Also does anyone recomed a book to read about crusing the ICW in a sailboat. Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Possible, but unlikely. It isn't a question of if, just when.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-12-2007

sailorjim99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Wow!!!!

That says it all in a very profound way.
I am impressed by the way the question was answered in such a concise and deliberate way.

Does that mean he can't, can, could or try?

Jim.
Old 04-12-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
There is no definitive answer to the question. There are too many variables to say yes you will go aground, or no you won't. In the ICW though, it's usually not a question of will you go aground, but when will you go aground. Particularly with that much draft.

JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 04-12-2007

GordMay is on a distinguished road
John is correct - a 6-1/2 foot draft suggests that a grounding is very likely somewhere on the ICW.

The “authorized” project depth (MLW, or at low tide) of the AICW is:
~ 12 ft from Norfolk, Virginia to Ft. Pierce, Florida
~ 10 feet from Ft. Pierce to Miami, Florida

However, shoaling and silting have reduced controlling depths, in many (changing) locations to as little as five feet (or less), and other underwater obstructions further complicate safe navigation.

Notwithstanding the likelihood of grounding (somewhere on the ICW) with a 6.5 draft, such groundings are not usually ruinous, and should not altogether preclude a safe & enjoyable transit from Nofolk to Miami.

See the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway Association website:
Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway (AIWW)
and
ICW Channel Conditions:
This report only lists areas less than 8 feet in depth at mean low water.
ICW Channel Conditions
Old 04-12-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Also, many parts of the ICW are not being properly maintained, so the shoaling and silting of the channels has become more of a problem, rather than less. One state, Georgia I think, was recently in trouble for not funding or maintaining the ICW and the Feds were going to drop the boom on them.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-12-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Personally, I have never understood the attraction of the ICW. I (obviously) haven't travelled it, so perhaps its charms are opaque to me, but my impression is that at certain points of the year it resembles nothing so much as a watery traffic jam in an undredged ditch. While I realize it reduces a powerboat/small sailboater's exposure to the ocean to a 90 mile hop to the Bahamas, I doubt the congestion or aggravation would be worth it to me personally. If I or my boat couldn't handle say, New York to Bermuda to the Caribbean, I'd just pick up a charter boat already there, or crew down via the ocean.
Old 04-12-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Valiente-

It's charms are that you don't have to go via an open water passage in bad weather... but you do have to motor it almost all of its length.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-12-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

Also, there are a lot of "attractions" along the way, most of historic or cultural nature.

JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 04-12-2007

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
CruisersNet

Well..... Cam didn't throw me off the list last time for directing people away from this list.... so I'll do it again This is a list dedicated almost entirely to the ICW - Salty Southeast Cruisers' Net ~ Your home for all the cruising news along the ICW It's not as active as this one but I've not seen the amount of detail about the ICW anywhere else. Edit - cruisersnet.net if that link doesn't work.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI

Last edited by christyleigh; 04-12-2007 at 10:30 AM.