Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2007
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
Baby gate for the vee berth?

Anyone know of anything to baby proof the vee berth? My youngest (1.5 years) loves to play around up there, but we need something like a baby gate for the door so that he doesn't come crawling out and fall off the berth. Obviously, just shutting the door won't work for us. We need to be able to see him.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Make up some lee cloths out of the netting used in laundry hampers, and secure it to the cabin overhead and the v-berth...

Or, do what my friends do... stuff the kid into a portable playpen... and leave that in the v-berth. The sides of the playpen are the same type of netting/mesh I'm talking about...and it's pre-fabbed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-16-2007
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Have you considered fabricating a panel of mesh netting to fit your cabin door opening - for easy stowage? With a perimeter hem and grommets, it could be hooked onto clips attached to the door head, stretched taunt and hooked under the aft edge of the berth platform. Perhaps a couple of side attachments would be added also for extra security.

Edit - as usual, SD beat me to it.
Old 04-16-2007

cockeyedbob is on a distinguished road
SUPERGLUE ... naw, just kidding.

Netting best, small mesh so li'l noggins can't enter ... stows easily ... multiple uses ... buy some and a six pack ... crawl below ... when the six pack is gone, you'll have her figured ...

Nothing is kid proof.
Old 04-16-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I recycled the netting once found on the foredeck in the V-berth. I also discovered that I could fit an entire Graco folding playpen into the V-berth and just wedge it with pillows. Worked like a charm at first.

Our son started sailing at five days old. We took him out in 25 knots by lashing down his car seat at 10 months old...he snored and farted most of the time. Once he was walking, he learned "one hand for the boat" as soon as possible, and he knows that "on deck" means "PFD at all times". He lashes on with a Gibb hook underway, and his parents know to wear their PFDs at all times, too...something that is not legally necessary, but then when I see my next door neighbour riding his bike without a helmet with his daughter WITH a helmet in a rear bike seat or a trailer, I think: "Hmm. Hypocritical AND dangerous".

I started wearing bike helmets in the '80s as a bike courier, because I saw what happened when you failed to die after being slammed into a pole or a mailbox: a new hat size, lots of shouting and a career in basket weaving and wallet-sewing.
Old 04-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
TB-

It's not a race.. and it just goes to show that great minds think alike...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-16-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente
... I started wearing bike helmets in the '80s as a bike courier, because I saw what happened when you failed to die after being slammed into a pole or a mailbox: a new hat size, lots of shouting and a career in basket weaving and wallet-sewing.
What convinced me a long time ago to wear one on a motor cycle were the wise words of an ambulance driver:-

"Look, the chin strap makes it a lot easier for me to pick your head out of the ditch".
Old 04-16-2007
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the suggestions. We've used the play pen, but put it in the cabin. I'm not sure it would fit in the v-berth of our Catalina 27. I guess I'll rig up some sort of lee cloth.
Old 04-16-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiens
What convinced me a long time ago to wear one on a motor cycle were the wise words of an ambulance driver:-

"Look, the chin strap makes it a lot easier for me to pick your head out of the ditch".
Heh. I've heard the use of a helmet makes the difference between an open or a closed coffin. From what I've seen, though, it's the consequences of living with a personality or intelligence-modifying brain injury rather than getting killed that bother me, and the helmet can improve one's chances.
Old 04-17-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
I found a cargo net from a car or truck worked great as a child containment devise. If they have the "bunge" cord top you'll need to run a peice of static line thru so it won't stretch.

"Hypocritical AND dangerous" is riding a bike with your son or daughter in one of those rear seats, with or without a helmet.