LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2007

oandersen is on a distinguished road
Question Dominican Republic

Does anyone know about cruising in D.R.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Yes. Luperon is a hell hole. New marina in Puerto Plata is your best bet if making a passage through. See noonsite.com for particulars.
What other questions do you have?
Old 04-23-2007

oandersen is on a distinguished road
Thank you for the answer, Camaraderie. Would it be a place you´d recommend staying for a longer period, say through the hurricane season or should I go further south.
Old 04-23-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Oand...I guess it depends on what kind of a cruiser you are. It is certainly as hurricane safe in Luperon as anywhere North of Trinidad. I don't think they have ever had anything more than a tropical strom. Note this does NOT apply to Puerto Plata. Luperon is the only safe hurricane hole.
The harbor is the sewer for the town. It is most unsanitary and fresh food and water cannot be relied on. Bottled water only. NO fresh meat should be tried. Wash vegetables in bottled water only. Several friends on different boats got very sick while we were there. Officials are corrupt. Hookers walk the streets...but generally a safe place during the day. Some thieves in the harbor...not natives.
On the other hand some people love it because once you pay your entrance fees, no one bothers you and it is VERY cheap to live at anchor. No need for pumpouts either!

Personally I couldn't wait to get out of there but some stay happily for years.

For hurricane season we opted to head down to Grenada instead and got pasted by Ivan a couple of years ago...but that was the only storm in 55 years there. Trinidad is only 80 miles further south and has lots of cruisers, good boat yards and has never had a hurricane. If I were staying on the boat for the season...I would once again go to Grenada as it is a nicer place...but i would pick up anchor and head to Trinidad overnite if there was any storm track that threatened.

You can make it from the DR to Grenada in 2 weeks even with a few stops if you push...then after hurricane season you can do the rest of the islands on the way back up with the wind at your back.

Hope this is somewhat helpful as I have rambled a bit. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 04-23-2007

kptmorgan04 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to kptmorgan04
I have no idea about cruising there, but I did see the new marina at Ocean World, in Puerto Plata when I was on vacation there a few months ago. It looked like a good/new facility, although not sure what services they offer.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.