SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Trucking from Great Lakes to East Coast and across Atlantic (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/31765-trucking-great-lakes-east-coast-across-atlantic.html)

wysiwyg 04-24-2007 11:07 PM

Trucking from Great Lakes to East Coast and across Atlantic

I hope to truck a traditional 33' sloop (20,000lbs) from the Great Lakes to the East Coast and then sail across the Atlantic to Ireland.
  • Any recommendations for trucking?
  • Any suggestions for good jumping off points on East Coast?

Thanks.

sailingdog 04-24-2007 11:15 PM

Boston or Newport would be fairly good choices as jumping off points for Europe. As for the trucking, you might want to contact Brownell systems, or do a search for other trucking companies mentioned on this site. Search the threads for other suggestions.

BTW, what is the draft and beam of the boat. Any boat wider than 8' 6" may cost more due to it being a wideload.

sailaway21 04-24-2007 11:58 PM

Why not sail from the Great Lakes to Ireland, and eliminate the truck? Just a thought.

camaraderie 04-25-2007 12:33 AM

Are you planning on sailing the northern route or the traditional Bermuda/Azores/Europe route?
If the latter, you would be best to leave from Newport OR if a shakedown would be beneficial...go to Norfolk and leave from there on a good forecast.
If you do a search on trucking or transport you will find some boat mover choices.

Valiente 04-25-2007 12:38 AM

Why not out the St. Lawrence and then to Newfoundland? Several acquaintances of mine here in Toronto have done the trip in 30 footers and say it's one of the friendliest places on Earth. Then it's just 1,900 NM to Ireland...and considerably less time spent at sea on the longest leg, which can be a concern given the tankage and stowage of even a 20,000 33 footer (geez, how "traditional" is it?)

sailingdog 04-25-2007 12:45 AM

sailaway-

Good point... sail out the Erie canal and down the Hudson River, and then to Ireland. Or, if you like a more northern route, sail out the St. Lawrence river and across the Atlantic.

labatt 04-25-2007 01:06 AM

What's the max air draft for going from Lake Ontario up the St. Lawrence and out to the Atlantic? If there's low clearance, is it just at one end and you can go the rest of the way with the stick up?

tessliddy 04-25-2007 01:19 AM

I shipped my Catalina 30 from San Diego to lake Superior with Joule transport with no problemsat all

Hampstead 04-25-2007 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by labatt
What's the max air draft for going from Lake Ontario up the St. Lawrence and out to the Atlantic? If there's low clearance, is it just at one end and you can go the rest of the way with the stick up?

If you mean overhead clearance for your mast............No restrictions at all. presuming you are using the St Laurence Seaway........

Lots of ports along the lower St Laurence, which gets wide and very tidal near it's mouth.......

But Hey if Champlain, over 400 years ago and 1000's of others since have done it, so should you be able :)

My understanding of the Northern route is that you would want to leave NFLD June lastest...........

With a 175% over "normal" chance of hurricanes this year i'd stay north............

labatt 04-25-2007 12:10 PM

Thanks for the info.. I'm going to start another thread on this rather than hijacking this one!