SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

USCG Seeks Comments on Weather Broadcasts

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  jr438234606 
#1 ·
The notice below is from the US Coast Guard:

The US Coast Guard is seeking public comment on the need to continue
providing high frequency (HF) radio broadcasts of weather forecasts and
warnings. Public comment is necessary in order to assess the demand for
the HF radio broadcasts in each of three forms: (1) radiofacsimile; (2)
voice; and (3) simplex teletype over radio (SITOR), also known as narrow
band direct printing (NBDP). The infrastructure necessary to provide
these services has exceeded its useful life expectancy; the equipment is
no longer manufactured, repairs are difficult to accomplish, and spare
parts generally are not available. Comments should be submitted by
August 24. 72 Fed. Reg. 20863
<http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/14mar20010800/edocket.access.gp
o.gov/2007/pdf/E7-7945.pdf> (April 26, 2007).

Regards,

The USCG Navigation Center Team
U.S. Coast Guard Navigation Center

If the USCG Navigation Center web site is not working properly, please
be sure to visit our mirror site at: U.S. Coast Guard Navigation Center.

To unsubscribe from the USCG District Seven email subscription service,
please visit:
Seventh-cg-dlnm Informations Page
Then enter your email address.

Seventh District LNMs - USCG Navigation Center

Seventh-cg-dlnm one-way mailing list - -

See less See more
#2 ·
These services might be essential on the high seas. I don't sail on the ocean so I have never used any of them. I guess you will need to subscribe to a commercial satellite based service for weather information.

What disturbs me is the reason for discontinuing these services. They can't keep the equipment working! I'll bet you India or China wouldn't have that problem. :confused:

--- CaptChas

#3 · (Edited)
HF radio broadcasts

Please do not mistake this for VHF broadcasts. The VHF weather broadcasts will continue and are in no danger of being discontinued. This subject was discussed at the International Catalina forum. Some sort of advertisement was attached to "vhf" above telling you to shop at the sailnet store. I didn't put it there and would recommend that you NOT shop there. This link will explain that.

#7 ·
The CG needs public comment in order to continue to justify funding for these systems. In many parts of the world and for cruisers on a budget...WeFax, Sitor and voice SSB broadcast are the only weather a cruiser can get. I would urge anyone witheven a passing interest in cruising to take a couple of minutes to comment that it is worth keeping this service as no practical alternatives exist for the general public.

#8 ·
How to respond?

I'm with Cam on this! This will be a significant loss to cruisers if it goes away. I followed every link in the original post and could not find a way to express my opposition to ending this service. Does anyone have a functioning link they could post? Thanks.

#11 ·
WAVE...you should make clear that HF... IS WEATHER VOICE FORECASTS OVER THE SSB...since vhf is no good much more than 25 miles from land...it takes the place of "weather radio" for cruisers. It is also text weather (SITOR) and weather fax (WeFax). If you only use weather radio (VHF) today...but you hope to cruise someday...it IS in your interest to make sure this stuff is still there for you when you do need it OR simply to help your fellow sailors out there who do cruise.

#13 ·
XM and Sirius satellite weather information have limitations in coverage, due to the way their satellites are placed. They can really only cover the US and Canada, with some coverage over the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean, but outside of those areas...I think they're both toast.

#14 ·
Wave said:
I apologize for my ignorance and thanks for setting me straight.:eek: I agree this is extremely important to cruisers. Is there an option with XM or Serious satilite radio?
I am exploring purchasing Sirius Weather for my RayMarine C120. They cover hundres of miles off East and West US coasts, and the entire Gulf of Mexico, Bahamas, and more. They are in the process of expanding this coverage even more from what I understand.

Search for a thread on this forum with keyword "Sirius" and you can see where I posted a map of their coverage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.