Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
It's too bad you are way down there. If you were up in Toronto you could meet me at the yard on Saturday and learn the whole process from fairing the keel, through cleaning the hull, polishing, dumping the freeze out of the engine, flushing the water tanks and scrubbing down the head... I think it's very important that you get a true and COMPLETE picture of the boating life - it's not all fair winds and pretty girls...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
I can see it now....."make sure you get that sanded real smooth now, and my ice is melting."

Vaya con Dios
Old 04-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormann
It's too bad you are way down there. If you were up in Toronto you could meet me at the yard on Saturday and learn the whole process from fairing the keel, through cleaning the hull, polishing, dumping the freeze out of the engine, flushing the water tanks and scrubbing down the head... I think it's very important that you get a true and COMPLETE picture of the boating life - it's not all fair winds and pretty girls...
The sanding is taking forever since someone accidentally used Marinetex for a fairing compound... Probably not the best person to be using as an example to follow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-26-2007

georgef is on a distinguished road
cool, many thanks. I will let you know when possible and if works for you we hook up... no cameras ok? ;-)
Old 04-26-2007

Thank you for the link, clearly a great way to start...will investigate further
Old 04-26-2007

not a problem, not sure how happy you'll be w/the results...anyway...are you sure that "it's not all fair winds and pretty girls...?"...oh well...sigh
Old 04-27-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Combining the thoughts of a few of the wise old greybeards of sailnet.

SAIL - If you havn't done any then get out there and do it. Rent a boat for a day, take a charter holiday, but sail. Funnily enough even the gales at sea when you are dreaming about them don't seem to have the same impact as the real thing. As you say yourself it's not all beer and skittles and while I have no desire to dampen your enthusiasm it's amazing how a few hours in a wet damp cold cockpit can do just that. It's real easy to love sailing when it's sunny, 10-15 knots and calm seas. It's not so easy to love it when you are cold wet and miserable. BTW if you don't feel confident enough to take out a sailing boat on charter then rent a cruiser for a few days. It will still give you a taste of the world aquatic.

OBSERVE - Get yourself down to your local yard and just sit and watch a few of the folk cleaning and painting. Get an idea of what it's like to be covered head to toe in the dust of sanded antifoul. Imagine the fun times you are going to have when it's your turn to slip your own little ship.

THINK - Are you planning on a "do it upper" ? If so try and get on board something and go and spend an hour crouched down under the cockpit or in the lazarette. Got lots of money and thinking of buying something new or almost new ? Even on the newest and the brightest little ship something is going to go wrong when there is no one around but you to crawl up behind the engine to try and fix a leaking stuffing box.

I am not trying to dissuade you merely open your eyes. Amazingly there are those of us who quite enjoy the scrapping and the painting. There are those of us who quite enjoy being wet cold and miserable, cos on occasions it can be quite invigorating, in fact there is little in this world that gets the soul a humming like finally dropping anchor in a nice quiet bay after a dirty run down the coast. Dinner on the BBQ, rum at hand, your favourite person by your side as we sing sing sing "Oh he's a lumberjack...oh sorry wrong sketch. The sheer unbridled joy of a freezing cold morning when you slide back the hatch and sit watching the mist rise off the water or a slow steady rain falling. (hee hee, then get in the dinghy and row the dog to shore so it can have a crap and you can get nice and soggy.) It's all good. There is nothing so much worth doing as the Water Rat famously mused. But it's not for everyone thank christ and finding out you are one of the "yeah nice but it's not for me crowd" after you have just dumped a hundred grand or so on your dreamboat would be a shame, a shame that has happened to thousands of other before you.

On the other hand yet again, if the first time you take the tiller and feel that living beautiful thing lean into the wind and accelerate away on a nice beam reach, you cannot get the smile of your dial then you my friend are hooked. Hooked into something that is surpassed by very little on this troubled old world we inhabit.

Good Luck.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 04-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Well said fuzzy wombat... Unfortunately, too many magazines glorify the cruising lifestyle without showing the reality of it. It isn't all sipping mai-tais and watching a beautiful sunset at a remote anchorage.

Even on a new boat, you're going to be modifying the way it is setup, fixing things as they break, doing preventative maintenance on things, and you'd be surprised at how much time all of that takes up.

Of course, inspecting and maintaining the bits and pieces of your boat earn you points for the black box... and if you take care of your boat, it is far more likely that she will take care of you when the weather goes really bad and you're too far from shore to make it in safely....

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-27-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente
Crew, crew, crew.
He said he wanted to go cruising, you are suggesting race training, which requires crew, crew, crew (or be-yelled-at, be-yelled-at, be-yelled-at - 'cos that's what they do to be fast and hard - and win. (Ian's got the best idea, meet some friendly sailing people first).
Old 04-27-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
When did they furry marsupial become so intelligent?