SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Help me pick chain for my anchor (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/31982-help-me-pick-chain-my-anchor.html)

jasonr575 05-02-2007 12:33 AM

Help me pick chain for my anchor

I have recently posted requesting help in deciding if my ground tackle is suffiicient. One recommendation is more chain. i have 12 ft of (i think) 5/16 galvanized chain. i want to increase it. I have noticed there are different types of chain. What is recommended and where can i get it? Is Lowes or home depot an economical option for chain or should i be sticking to a west marine or something like that. Can i just add to what i have with a shackle or should i replace the whole chain? Jason

Newport41 05-02-2007 01:46 AM

Galvanized chain with a strength rating is all more or less the same as far as I know. PLEASE don't buy that high stregth low weight stuff. Just buy larger chain. The whole point is for it to be heavy. I would get a total of 50ft minimum to be really useful. And yes you can link the old peice to the new but there are better options than a shackle. Whatever you use make sure it won't ever come undone, you can cut it off if you need to.

SimonV 05-02-2007 04:57 AM

First we would need to know what size vessel you have.

GordMay 05-02-2007 05:03 AM

Check out the (2) charts, and Specifications:

Working Load Limit for Anchor Rodes:
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery - WLL for Anchor Rodes

Design Loads for Deck Hardware:
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery - Design Loads for Deck Hardware

NACM* WELDED STEEL CHAIN SPECIFICATIONS:
http://www.nacm.info/Downloads/NACM_Welded.pdf

sailingdog 05-02-2007 07:06 AM

Actually, most of these people have ignored or forgotten the most important question.

Do you have a windlass?

If so, what size chain does it require you use?

If you don't have a windlass, get whatever you want... but if you do have a windlass, the gypsy on it will only take a specific size chain. For instance, the Anchorman windlass, I have on my boat, will only take 5/16" G4 high-tensile strength chain. I have to use 5/16" G4 chain if I want to be able to use the windlass.

BTW, don't get a second piece with the idea that you can join it to the first piece and get a longer length if you have a windlass. Most of the couplers that you could possibly use won't fit the windlass gypsy and will cause it to throw the chain when you're using it. Also, most of the couplers are significantly weaker than the chain would be by itself, and will become a weak link, literally, in your anchor rode.

Craig Smith 05-02-2007 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonr575
I have recently posted requesting help in deciding if my ground tackle is suffiicient. One recommendation is more chain. i have 12 ft of (i think) 5/16 galvanized chain. i want to increase it. I have noticed there are different types of chain. What is recommended and where can i get it? Is Lowes or home depot an economical option for chain or should i be sticking to a west marine or something like that. Can i just add to what i have with a shackle or should i replace the whole chain? Jason

You definitely need more. In general terms BBB or G40 will be what you want. You can go to high tensile if you want, or if your windlass wildcat forces you undersized (considering your existing anchoring tackle, it may).

There is a mode of thought which says light chain heavy anchor, contrary to Newport's post, but that theory gets more support when anchoring on hard bottoms and/or shallow water. In mud it's best to maintain a certain amount of weight in the chain.

One pointer is to ensure the quality; do not buy anything made in China. Avoid anything not European or from the US. Ask to see proof of origin as it isn't always obvious, and many stores carry cheap nasty stuff.

You can add it to the existing chain with a good quality joiner (again be very careful), but for the sake of 12' why bother. Replace it.

camaraderie 05-02-2007 07:53 AM

He has a 37' Morgan with NO windlass.
Suggest 5/16 BBB in anticipation of NEEDING a windlass!!

sailingdog 05-02-2007 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaraderie
He has a 37' Morgan with NO windlass.
Suggest 5/16 BBB in anticipation of NEEDING a windlass!!

Depends on the windlass.

The Anchorman manual windlass I have uses 5/16" G4 high-test chain, which I would prefer over the 5/16" BBB, since it is considerably stronger for roughly the same weight.

camaraderie 05-02-2007 09:52 AM

Dawg...the Anchorman specs say either HT or BBB can be used and BBB is more compatible with a wide range of electric windlasses made today. No doubt HT is stronger...and you can always find a windlass and capstan to fit...I was just trying to recommend chain that would be both SUFFICIENT to his purpose and COMPATIBLE with the widest # of windlasses he might consider down the road. No argument.
BTW...I assume you have the manual anchorman with the circular take up rather than the traditional vertical pumping action type. How do you like it? Do you get sufficient leverage to make it relatively easy to haul anchor or would you choose differently next time?

jasonr575 05-02-2007 12:22 PM

as stated the boat is a 37 ft morgan, weighs 1800lbs, i have a 45 cqr anchor and plan on getting a bruce, not sure of size yet. No windlass yet but hopefully next year.
Now what is the difference in the chains (bbb, g4, etc) dont know what this means.