Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
You will want a smaller jib of some sort, as the summer breezes for the most part come out of the north, at least up here in Wa they do. So you will be heading into the wind one heck of a lot, if not most of the time coming up the coast. Many folks in reality, will sail to hawaii, then north to puget sound from S Ca, and make it just as fast as coming up the coast. Going south down the coast is easy in the summer, stick out a spinaker, and enjoy! Early day will be light winds, then about noon to a couple of hrs before sunset the wind will be 10-15, with gusts to 20 at most. Some days will be fog in AM , sunny in PM.

Have fun on the trip.

Marty
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool
Makes sense now. I personally don't like partially furling a sail, other than for a short sprint home, so carry 150/125/85/storm jibs so I can use an appropriate size jib for the conditions, although the 150 is often left at home.

Ditto on your storm jib comment.
I think that maybe it depends on the boat. As an example my old boat (full keel, masthead rig,) responded best to a single reefed main and going to a smaller jib but Raven seems to like a double reefed main even with full genoa so it's not often we have to even partially furl the headsail. Flattening a partially furled headsail is a bugger of a thing to achieve, that is for sure and that's definitely the biggest drawback to a furler. If I do get caught out in thirty knot winds then hammering to windward is not something I'd do by choice.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 05-03-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Beating in 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw
....If I do get caught out in thirty knot winds then hammering to windward is not something I'd do by choice.
If you have a small jib like the 85% you should try it. With the 85% and a double reef, it a real hoot to beat upwind in 25-30 and actually a very nice ride, I think better than running in the same conditions. If the water is real cold, its only fun for a while, if the water is warm, its fun all day.
Old 05-04-2007
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
On our 34' pilothouse we have a 130 genoa on a furler and we had a very heavy, high clew 90 jib made. Have found this covers most conditions, both winter and summer here in the NW. Installing an inner forestay is a big, expensive project that I would only consider if going offshore for an extended time(I'd love to have it though). If you watch the weather and plan your trip well you shouldn't have too much trouble, but be ready to head in if it sounds like it's going to kick up. A three reef main is a very good idea, and makes for a balanced rig when you have the heavy weather jib furled in a bit.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 05-04-2007

tsingtao is on a distinguished road
My main does have 3 reefs. Sounds like the best approach is to go with a 100 to 110 jib made for roler furling--roll it up, put in 3 reefs and have fun. Appreciate all the input!!!
Old 05-04-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool
If you have a small jib like the 85% you should try it. With the 85% and a double reef, it a real hoot to beat upwind in 25-30 and actually a very nice ride, I think better than running in the same conditions. If the water is real cold, its only fun for a while, if the water is warm, its fun all day.
To be honest it's something I quite enjoy, maybe not in excess of 30 knots but certainly in high 20s. Your post makes me think that maybe on a day like that I should try a combination of a reefed main with the storm jib. If that vaguely worked then I might consider getting an extra sail that is more a working jib but one that sets off the inner forestay to use in combo with the reefed main. might be an interesting experiment.

Uphill bashing is fine on a day sail. I'm not so sure I'd want to be doing it for multi days in a row.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 05-04-2007

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
Your difficulty wombat is that you seem to be unbalanced, and the experiment would make it worse.
Old 05-04-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_gee
Your difficulty wombat is that you seem to be unbalanced, and the experiment would make it worse.
I don't know ! It is of great concern to me mum when people say things like that about her favourite pup. I will have you know that I am no more unbalanced than ....than....hmm...OK...never mind for now. I'll get back to you. My hinge needs seems to be becoming un.