Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Delaware City Marina

Does anyone know anything about Delaware City Marina? I'm curious what the max draft is...?

Thanks!
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Labatt-

You can call them at:

Delaware City Marina, Inc.
302 Canal Street
Delaware City, DE 19706
302-834-4172

However, they do have a website, located here. It says that they have:

Quote:
Our draft at low mean is approx 12-20 feet to the channel and the mouth at low mean is 7.0 feet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-07-2007

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
From their website:
Delaware City Marina, Inc.
302 Canal Street
Delaware City, DE 19706
302-834-4172

2 miles north of the C&D Canal on the Delaware side. At green bouy #1, go port into the Delaware City Branch channel. Marina is approximately 1/4 mile down channel. Linear docks are on the starboard. Check current to determine approach. Call VHF 16 for assistance and assignment.

GPS: Lat. - 39.34.22
Long. - 75.35.25
VHF Channels: 16, 9
Reservations: YES
Transient Slips Avail.: 10
Total Slips: 100
Dock Type(s): Floating, linear
Dockside Services: Fresh Water, Pump Out
Shore Side Services: Restrooms, Showers, Laundry Services, Picnic Area, Public Phones, Within walking distance are groceries, playground, spirits, US Mail and restaurants
Pets Allowed: YES
Provisioning: Ice, Bait/Tackle, Boat Parts & Supplies
Office Services: Fed Ex
Transportation: Car Rental, Taxi

On Site Services Available

launch ramp nearby, repair gas & diesel on just about everything, light fiberglass repair, some electronics. Part ordered ASAP. Certified mechanical and painting.

Unquote

No mention of water depth. The chart shows a 5 foot spot just inside Fl G "1", then 6' in the Branch Channel (1983).

I'd call them to confirm depths if you're planning to stop there.

Bill
Old 05-07-2007
I'd rather be sailing

Arghh! I spent 5 minutes trying to find their website originally. I must just be tired. Thanks a ton!

We're in Tolchester tonight and we're hoping to get to the eastern end of the canal tomorrow. We had to stop because the 5/16" reef line we just had put in was slipping through the new clutches we put in, and we wanted to have the rigger who did the work come out and do it. That's a whole 'nuther story.
Old 05-07-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Glad to help.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 05-08-2007

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
dog,

Thanks for that info and reference. I'd found another website for them which was chatty, but not informative re: water depth.

If Labatt can confirm the water depth at the bar (near G Fl #1) is indeed 7' at MLW, that's very good to know, since this would be a convenient layover place sometimes.

Bill
Old 05-08-2007

gershel is on a distinguished road
It's been a while since I've been there, but from what I recall depth is not an issue. It's a long narrow channel with a long floating face dock to starboard. You have to make a 180 in the channel to leave. The tidal range is about 5'. A pleasant stop. Before entering the marinas channel, there is a turning basin with room for 2-3 boats to anchor.

Marc
Old 05-08-2007

gershel is on a distinguished road
PS to the last reply

As an afterthought, if the current is against you when entering the C&D, stop at Chesapeake City, then continue through when the current changes. In my opinion, this is a much better stop than Delaware City.

Marc
Old 05-08-2007
I'd rather be sailing

I can confirm the water depth is 7' at the entrance and goes a few more feet deeper as you progress. It's going to be a very tight turn tomorrow to get out of here. They have you tie up parallel to shore. It's probably 60 feet across MAX (if not less) so I'm glad I had the single lever engine control put on!!

Just a note for Tuesday's in this sleepy town... most places are closed - the one restaurant (Crabby Dick's) and the ice cream parlor. There is a convenience store. Dockage is very expensive - $2/foot, but they are pretty nice people. They don't pay much attention to the VHF and are somewhat lackadaisical about answering the phone
Old 05-08-2007
Telstar 28

Thanks for the update and confirmation... Where are you headed to?

Telstar 28
New England