Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2007

huguley3 is on a distinguished road
coding

I was thinking of programing for smaller devices like treos or other palm devices. I am still relatively young(35ish) so I have quite a bit of time to sort it all out. It is a good suggestion to create something that generates revenue mostly by itself and maybe needs a tweak here and there. I guess I need to come up with that killer app and stop playing world of warcraft.

I had not really considered that you really only need 2k or so a month for general expenses and can cruise for a long time. I can't imagine living on 2k a month but with no car or house money would go farther. I am sure it finds a hole to get stuffed into no matter what. Thats how money works.

Thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
I would second the notion of work now, sail later. Utilize your shoreside productivity to the maximum. One way you can prepare to cruise sooner is to start paring down your lifestlyle. Sell the Beemer, cancel the wine club, and quit eating out so often. Aside from saving yourself a bunch of bucks for the cruising kitty, you'll begin to think in the cruising mode. What are you going to have room and budget for on a small boat? From what I've gathered, most cruisers are not particularly wealthy, but they have pared their lifestyle down to what they regard as just the essentials. The people who attempt to take their lifestyle with them, both in boat selection and luxury, do not seem to last at cruising. **** Red, with the odd ice cube, has supplanted Kendall Jackson. Most of the cruisers seem to live on a college freshman budget, with their number one concern being preservation of capital for a major, unexpected, boat repair.
Old 05-10-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Coding isn't really practical IMHO as a cruising profession. Web design can be... programming often needs far more face-to-face interaction between the programmer and client IMHO.
One thing I could see working in popular anchorages is communications equipment troubleshooting for the cruiser community: configuring Pactor modems, tuning SSB antennas, getting the fastest speeds on sat-phone uplinks, etc. And let's not forget plain old Windows/Mac troubleshooting. Hands-on repair (heat shrinking fresh connectors, conformal spraying circuit boards, etc.) would be a valuable service as well.

An electronics technician or someone even only moderately above solder jockey could make a few bucks here and there, especially fixing autopilots and other "exposed" electronics.

On the computing side, a lot of people would want bullet-proof access to blogs, which would not only require a touch of design work, but the ability to maintain the equipment to get online from far-flung places. Often this would be a consulting job...selecting and loading the best laptop (usually the most weather-proof, not the most powerful or capacious) and buying the appliances to keep it charged off a standard 12 VDC outlet.

Lastly, get a decent cartridge printer that can handle card stock. People love "boat cards". None of this will make you rich, but especially "boat electrician" could keep you fed and watered any place you drop anchor for a couple of weeks that has fifty Westerners in overly complicated boats already moored.
Old 05-10-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Valiente-

What you've described is much of what I have as part of my plan for when I go cruising long-term. Technical boat repair/upgrade skills are generally quite useful and usually in demand. I already do a fair bit of the communciations/GPS/Navigation systems work as it is at my marina.

A decent photo printer isn't a bad idea either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-10-2007

42ndstreet is on a distinguished road
Valiente, excellent reply. As are the others. We would like to go with a 40-42'Beneteau or similar. I believe we can make it on 25k a yr. We will have about 250k in cash. We will buy used. I guess we better get moving on debt reduction.
Old 05-10-2007

Kernix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brak
No kidding.

IMHO cruising and work are incompatible for most people except, perhaps, writers and ...

What about freelance photographers?
Old 05-10-2007
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
Wouldn't somebody who was a qualified marine surveyer make money abroad? If you could do one survey each week it would add to your kitty. Maybe surveys aren't required aborad?....just a thought.

I would also think that if you had any kind of mechanical skills you would be able to swap work for food.
Old 05-10-2007

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernix
What about freelance photographers?
Freelance writing and photography are both very small markets. Freelance writing (except for some fiction writing) takes access to sources for background material. Freelance photography requires fairly good to high quality photographic gear. I don't see these are real viable options to make much income except for a very tiny percentage of people. You could possibly make a very small amount of money here and there while sailing.

Another option for making money as a freelance photographer is in the stock photography market. For a good photographer, you can make a sustained income off this. However, as for submitting photos, you need access to high speed internet or reliable mailing for CD/DVDs, computing power for photoshopping pictures, and be established with a stock agency.

I actually make my living as a freelance writer and photographer and I am dubious that I could be successful at making much of a living while extended cruising.
Old 05-10-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Fleeting visons of cruising while sustaining a steady income through my architectural profession, become just that . . . fleeting visions.
Old 05-10-2007

Kernix is on a distinguished road
Wow - I have lots of quality equipment, but I would go freelance before stock - I'd even spend most cruising to get to spots to add to my library of pics and also cruise to art festivals and put up booths.

I already have a list of 60+ art galleries, magazines and other printed material editors who've I've contacted that buy what I shoot - some give you 5-10 day assignments like Backpacker who pay $400/day for up to 10 days - granted you'll have to follow other backpackers and you'll be humping one heavy backpack, but that's how you get payed by them (assuming you deliver quality pics). Other assignments do not pay as well but also don't involve that much exertion.

I'm hoping that the freelance thang along with either web-design or database programming will pay good (enough?) money.

We shall see....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.