Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Random Thoughts on Cruising

Thought I'd throw out a few of the things that have occured to me this past week.

If you want to get from Point A to Point B, outside is better (weather permitting). This might seem a no brainer, but for a singlehander that prefers to anchor at night, it took getting to the Tampa area and dealing with bridges constantly, for it to sink in. Had to ask for as many bridge openings in one day in Florida, as I did the whole way from Lake Charles, LA to New Orleans (which was 240 miles).

GPS chart software is great. But I found when I had an area of no coverage, I could easily use my paper charts. By paying attention to the daymarks and their numbers (binoculars are a neccesity, not a luxury) I could always tell where I was at, relative to the chart.

Anybody that thinks places like Galveston Bay are shallow, should wander around the Florida Keys. This shallow water can hurt you in some places.

Florida lightning is nasty!

Indian Key anchorage has 5 mooring balls for use ... free.

Getting fuel between Marathon and Miami can be a challenge for boats drawing more than 3 1/2 foot. And if you're running outside, plan on spending the better part of a day to get to fuel and back out.

Those big cruising cats are fast .... under power.

It's been nice to finally start meeting fellow cruisers, as well as some internet friends.

I think it was smart to pay attention to the weather and take a mental health day today.

Currently at Indian Key, Florida

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
If you want to get from Point A to Point B, outside is better (weather permitting). This might seem a no brainer, but for a singlehander that prefers to anchor at night, it took getting to the Tampa area and dealing with bridges constantly, for it to sink in.

Good notes John! I wanted to comment on the snippet above since you will be turning north soon. You can day hop a lot near shore along the florida east coast and still get inside for a nightime anchorage all the way up to St. Simon's in GA. After that...you have such long runs inside and out to the inlet sea buoys that you'll need to make a choice to stay inside or just plan on some 24-48 hours passages off the coast.
Since you will be single handing...and will be near both the coast and lots of fishing traffic...I would recommend no more than 24 hour jumps or staying inside.
Old 05-15-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Depending on weather, I don't mind anchoring outside. My boat is just too slow under motor power for running in and out. Plus, I don't mind an allnighter as long as it's followed by a short day and a good anchorage, or marina.

JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 05-15-2007

SeanConnett is on a distinguished road
PBzeer, I suggest another mental health day today. Keep your eye on the weather because as you probably already know, northeast winds will kick it up a bit out in the stream. When you get further north, make a stop in Miami. Coconut Grove has some good anchorages outside of the barrier islands off Dinner Key and there is even some room inside to anchor too. If you do stop by and need something send me a PM and I would be glad to help if I can.
Happy Day.
Old 05-15-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

Sean - already considering just that, though bypassing Miami if winds are favorable to Port Everglades. Been checking the weather reports, as well as bouy data. Leaving late this afternoon and running an allnighter is also a possiblity. It is nice though, hanging on this mooring ball when it's nasty out.

JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 05-15-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

One more point to make, and somewhat obvious, but even the obvious can be overlooked.

Hold yourself to as little of a schedule as possible. It's not always doable, but pushing the limits, just to be somewhere, by some particular time, can be an invitation to disaster, or simply a most unpleasent experience.

JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 05-15-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One guy who sells large boats, Passports IIrC, said that when you're out sailing, you should throw your appointment book away...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-15-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Anybody that thinks places like Galveston Bay are shallow, should wander around the Florida Keys. This shallow water can hurt you in some places.

Florida lightning is nasty
HEHEHEHE!!! I love it. And so true, Baby. You don't know what shallow is until you get to SW or South Florida. And you are not even in the real stormy season yet. In the summer you have the 2:00 stors. Every 10 seconds another lightning crash (each one closer than the one before!! or so it seems)..

Have fun, that is what it is all about.

See ya.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-15-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
When running the Keys and the east coast of Florida, north bound it's a good idea to get a bit offshore. Outside of the majority of the shipping is best. If you stay inshore, a mile or two off, you'll catch the countercurrent to the Stream. It can run at one to two knots, and impede your progress. The south-bound ships you see, that seem to be running right up along the shore, have local knowledge, little room for error, and are making good time.(g)
Old 05-16-2007

cockeyedbob is on a distinguished road
Treasure

So, PB, when visiting Indian Key, look for the loot buried by Avery Southenson, captain of a slaver ...

Clues? You bet!

Skull of the turtle.
The treasure is at the turtle's jaws.
Drink of the nectar for the night is long.
Eat you may, dig you may.
The treasure is guarded by the spirits of the bonded ones.

Searched in 1974, found nothing but wasps, spanish bayonet, and ants.

It's a long story ... best of luck and don't get caught!