Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2007

cheapboxofwine is on a distinguished road
Cruising with Kids-Top things you can't live without?

We're in the planning stages of cruising with the girls ages 6 and 4. This will be our first time with family. Originally it was going to be to Spain, now due to complications, I think we'll stick from the Great Lakes to the Intracoastal Waterways. Keeping open to ship the boat to the Med or travel to the West Indies when we get to Florida and beyond. Flexibility is #1 thing we can't live without.
From a family cruisers perspective, please reply with a list of things you brought with you that make time sail smoothly and frankly, that you can't live without. A list of things to leave behind will be great as well.
Thank you,
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2007

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
A sense of humor is very necessary with children either ashore or at sea.
Child size safety equipment.

Assorted toys & games that they really enjoy... Don't carry anything that they don't want to play with. And keep those to a minimum if you can get away with it...

Lots of reading materials for them.

The top of the line First Aid Kit. Along with the training necessary for it.
First Aid training for Sea-Going personnel is much more intense than the basic Red Cross First Aid training course. It is more on par with EMT's skills.

The appropriate clothing for the weather you know that you will encounter in your voyages. But keep it basic as much as possible.

Did I mention Child size safety equipment?? Be sure that their lifejackets & harnesses are comfortable for them to wear. and when they are in the cockpit or on deck, always hooked up to a jack stay line.

Netting along the lifelines. To make it harder for people to go over the side when at sea.

Look into home schooling. So they may keep up with their peers in education. Calvert(?) has good courses for children voyaging with their parents.

I'm sure that there are other items that I have missed but some one else may have a better input on this subject.

Last edited by Boasun; 06-07-2007 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-07-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
CBOW,

I will try and write some stuff up for you before too long. I am finishing up an article right now. I have a bunch of stuff and ideas. You might also chekc in some of the old threads. I think I did some pretty extensive write-ups on this in the past... but it could be many months. If we cannot find it, I will try and get some more stuff out to you.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook: