SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   For those interested (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/33351-those-interested.html)

PBzeer 06-07-2007 01:10 PM

For those interested

Seems I mistakenly put 30 N instead of 32 N in my currently at line. Correct position is 32 15 21 N 80 44 40 W.

I'd hate to have to do those 2 degrees over again :)

ebs001 06-07-2007 02:10 PM

Can you see the golf green from your anchorage? It looks like you are right off a green when I checked your position on google earth

uspirate 06-07-2007 02:19 PM

I've been following your route on google earth. you really make some descent time getting around:)

sailortjk1 06-07-2007 03:09 PM

Sounds like your making great time going North, John.

On another note............... and not to hijack your thread, but has anybody noticed how quite it is around here without the Portugese Pirate? I bet there having a grand time.
Does anybody have any updates?

Any odds on who will be the first to jump ship?

TrueBlue 06-07-2007 03:20 PM

You're right tjk, it's been very quiet here w/o Alex luffing everyone's sails. They were scheduled to leave port yesterday morning - arriving at the south coast in 2 days . . . that is, unless winds (or the crew) died.

PBzeer 06-07-2007 03:43 PM

I just put in two consecutive allnighters, that will eat up some miles real quick. Took today off though to recuperate :) I'll probably do an all day sail to Georgetown, then, if the weather is right, all the way to Beufort, NC. The ICW may be great in bad weather, or if you have a trawler, but I prefer offshore for making time.

I'm about halfway between Skull Creek Marina and Port Royal Sound, in a little group of shoal islands. Three different rivers here, and tidal current, but otherwise, seems a great place for sailing.

Currently at 32 15 21 N 80 44 40 W

Idiens 06-07-2007 04:00 PM

Hi PB, I just used the advice of uspirate and pasted your coordinates into Google Earth. Marvelous this technology! How are you communicating from there?

TrueBlue 06-07-2007 04:08 PM

Great sailing progress John. Why not just keep going and aim for a circumnavigation? :) Unless you've seen it all before, or there was a threat of an early and active hurricane season, I'm curious to know why you're in such a rush to get to the Chesapeake though.

I"ve traveled throughout the Gulf and East Coast for years. But if I was visiting these places for the first time again, exploring the different ports and meeting new people along the way would be hard to resist.

PBzeer 06-07-2007 04:38 PM

Idiens - I have wireless internet through Verizon Wireless. Can connect anywhere my cellphone can.

TB - Sightseeing is for the trip back down south this fall. Just want to get a bit more north right now, then take my time after that. These first few months are more of a learning curve thing for me, as I figure out a routine, and what works and doesn't work.

Oh, and btw, I saw a True Blue in Fort Lauderdale. Though it was a powerboat, you'll probably like knowing at least it was a pristine Hinckley Picnic boat.

Currently at 32 15 21 N 80 44 40 W

pmoyer 06-07-2007 05:29 PM

Ok, so stupid noob question here. Is the "currently at" feature something you just paste at the bottom of your post, or is it a setting on the avatar or profile page? Or can you configure your GPS to auto-upload? :)

Cheers!