Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Toronto Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormann
.... It seems to be as much of a target up here as a Canadian one is down there....
Hey, we are very nice to our Canadian vistors, they are almost American (if they speak English)...anyway I was beating out of Boston harbor a week ago Sunday when I tacked across the path of an incoming C&C ( I think a late 30 Mark I) flying a big red maple leaf flag. As I crossed astern of him I saw Toronto on the stern - the skipper was busy eyeing my CS 36T as I eyed a nice example of my favorite boat...anyone you know?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2007

chappyonice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente
On the Great Lakes, I believe there is harmonization on discharge rules, so if you can't do it in Ohio, don't do it in Ontario. Lake Erie itself doesn't recognize a border, but the prevailing winds and currents send the poop over the Falls eventually...and into my lake.

That said, I know nobody who doesn't take "the captain's privilege" off the stern rail. Why, exposing one's block and tackle to a freshening breeze is one of the better parts of boating, and if you're like me, foreign-flagged vessels tend to dip their ensigns...
Nice, I crapped from laughing so hard. I'm on Lake Erie too and it's headin' your way .
Old 06-14-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
he declared the pistol at Yarmouth and the authorities put it under lock and key. The dilemma was this: He could only recover the pistol if he departed from Yarmouth, they wouldn't send it to his port of exit from Canada or to the States. Nope, if he wanted his pistol he had to go back through Yarmouth. He was so frustrated. I don't know anything else about the law but this was his story as he told it to me.
Guns are a big deal up here. He is lucky that he declared it. If it had been discovered, he would have been arrested and might have had his boat confiscated. Zero tolerance.
Quote:
Hey, we are very nice to our Canadian vistors
It's changing - hearing more and more about the USCG chasing down boats that inadvertently cross the line down the middle of Lake Ontario ... hasn't happened to me (yet), and if it were an isolated report, I'd tend to dismiss it, but it seems to be a regular occurence these days ... Can't for the life of me understand why, as they are obviously monitoring them by satellite, and can see that there is no meeting of vessels to hand off contraband... Might just be one idiot Coast Guard station, may be a new policy...
Quote:
they are almost American
yes - standards have been slipping a bit lately - we'll have to pull our socks up huh ?
Quote:
...anyone you know?
Oh it must be - there are only 5 million people here - small town - and if we're not related then we've probably dated ..

No offense meant - just can't control myself...
Old 06-14-2007
Here .. Pull this

Quote:
Thank stinks - what do they think you are going to pee in a bottle and empty it overboard? That would be my plan. And why when at a dock is there are bathroom facilities?
It's a holdover from another time. It wasn't so very long ago that you couldn't buy alcohol here on Sundays... I think that the issue was actually a concern that you might use the bottle and forget to dump it overboard, leaving it unattended and that subsequently some poor, unfortunate fool might take a swig...I won't go any further... but we are a caring nation and try to protect our less sober citizens from unnecessary trauma...

Quote:
And why with a cooking device?
I honestly haven't got a clue on this one...but I am pretty sure that it's not
Quote:
So that you can cook a poo-poo platter for dinner?
Old 06-15-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
.....Oh it must be - there are only 5 million people here - small town - and if we're not related then we've probably dated ...
No offense meant - just can't control myself...
Yikes, yoo soor, I didn't think there 5 million people in the whole country...why you are big enough to be a state like Noo Yook, we'll have to see about moving up the border up to the artic cirlce so you can be US...if you did date, I hope you dated his wife, she looked sorta cute, but the skipper looked like a typical guy.

I don't mean to poke too much fun at Canada, a very important place, it provides Canadian Sailboat parts. So hey, do locals get discounts on CS parts?
Old 06-15-2007
can't re member

yotphix is on a distinguished road
He's just playing with you! There aren't 5 million people in the whole country! In fact, apart from a few sailboat parts there really isn't anything at all in Canada that would interest the US in any way...really. Hey...stop looking at us like that...why are you salivating?

There's nothing here!
Old 06-15-2007
can't re member

yotphix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It's changing - hearing more and more about the USCG chasing down boats that inadvertently cross the line down the middle of Lake Ontario ... hasn't happened to me (yet), and if it were an isolated report, I'd tend to dismiss it, but it seems to be a regular occurence these days ... Can't for the life of me understand why, as they are obviously monitoring them by satellite, and can see that there is no meeting of vessels to hand off contraband... Might just be one idiot Coast Guard station, may be a new policy...
I was informed by Canadian customs that when I left for a day sail and crossed the imaginary dotted line in the middle of the lake, around 15 or so miles out iirc, that I needed to report back in upon my return to Toronto. A dock neighbour of mine was actually stopped on the way back from such a sail and borded by some strange looking coast guard types.
Old 06-15-2007
Here .. Pull this

Strictly speaking, that is true. You have exited Canada when you crossed into US waters, and are re-entering, hence are required to report to Customs.

Unusual that your neighbour would be boarded by the Coast Guard. Is that the Canadian or US Coast Guard you are referring to ?
Old 06-15-2007

Looking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It's a holdover from another time. It wasn't so very long ago that you couldn't buy alcohol here on Sundays... I think that the issue was actually a concern that you might use the bottle and forget to dump it overboard, leaving it unattended and that subsequently some poor, unfortunate fool might take a swig...I won't go any further... but we are a caring nation and try to protect our less sober citizens from unnecessary trauma...

I honestly haven't got a clue on this one...but I am pretty sure that it's not
That's not it at all... geesh! You can't consume alcohol while under way because that is driving while under the influence. And the dock restrictions are obvious. If you have a head and a cooking device you can claim that you reside there at least part-time and as a residence you may 'park it' at the dock and stay for the night, not just some yahoo in a skiff hanging at the dock for a booze-up before heading back out on the water to try and find their way home!

poo poo platter... where the hell do you get this stuff?
Old 06-15-2007

calamitas is on a distinguished road
what I meant to say was...

Gosh, I have touch off quite a little discussion, eh?
For the record, I had a good time sailing in Canada a couple of summers ago (Georgian Bay) on a borrowed boat. Beautiful country. It just seems draconian not to trust someone to empty his own holding tank at an approved facility, just as I do in the U.S.A. Yes, I know, some people are taking longer voyages than I, but presumably they would have more technologically advanced heads. And a fixed stove. And a gun or two. Thanks, everyone, for your assistance with this. Maybe next year when the bank account recovers from the boat purchase, I will upgrade the "library." In the meantime, y'all in the True North please continue to "stand on guard" for me.