Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Here are some facts about swimming in the western shore area near Annapolis and Baltimore:

Anne Arundel County Department of Health - Anne Arundel County Water Quality Results

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 06-17-2007 at 11:18 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2007

SailinJay is on a distinguished road
T37--

Nothing better than hard data over uniformed opinion.
Old 06-17-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Mitch...duh...Patapsco of course...but the Patuxent ain't bad either!
USCG...company this weekend...limited access!!

Happy Fathers Day All!
Old 06-17-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna
Ok big question. I am charting a boat next month to sail one of the top ten places in the world the Chesapeake Bay out of Annapolis for 4 days. Now the question is where do I go to anchor, swim, sight-see(maybe), islands to visit and anything else someone might suggest.
Melissa
S/V Freedom
Melissa,

The bay is pretty much broken up into three sections, upper, middle, and lower Chesapeake, Annapolis being in the middle to upper bay region. You don't mention what your chartering so you may be able to go further. It will really depend on how much actual sailing you want to do and the wind can be variable?

Because you mention sightseeing and with only four days I would suggest this:

Day One: Annapolis to St. Michaels
(via Eastern Bay)
Drop the hook in front of the Inn at Perry Cabins and dingy (dingy dock near the crab claw restaurant) into town for crabs at the Crab Claw or Micheal Rorks Town Dock Restaurant for something a bit more elegant. Definitely visit the maritime museum, especially if you have kids, allow about two-three hours. Theres a ferry from St. Michaels to Oxford if want to check it out as well, a quaint town with a couple good restaurants and lot o shops.

Day Two: St. Michaels to Rockhall/Swan Creek
(via Kent Narrows/Chester River) Drop hook in Swan Creek and just enjoy the beauty of it and go for a swim.

Day Three: Rockhall to Baltimore
Rent a slip form the harbor master (channel 68) I think its a $1 per foot plus $4 for electric. I would try to get a slip near the Clipper City. The Maryland Science Center is there with a cool planetarium. The National Aquarium (cant miss it) is fun but pricey (around $28 per) The dolphin show is short but entertaining. An Orioles game at Camden Yards would give you a good taste of Baltimore. Skip the restaurants with big neon lights and find the hole in the wall pub (Fells Point) for dinner/drinks. On you way into the harbor via the Patapsco, just past the Key Bridge, look for the red, white, and blue marker to the north of the bridge, this marks the site where Francis Scott Key wrote the Star Spangled Banner.

Day Four: Baltimore to Annapolis

If your a Ice cream/gelato lover, next to Phillips Restaurant downtown Annapolis is a Italian Gelateria...you gota try the Hazelnut! If you love sushi, go to Joss Sushi Bar. If you happen to be there on a Wednesday, catch the Wednesday night races. You might try to get a tour of the Navel Academy.

Good luck...watch out for crab pots and frieghters...and thunder storms.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 06-17-2007 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-17-2007
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Thanks guys. You are the best. I knew I could count on all of you for some good advise. I am chartering a Catalina 36 for 6 women.. Women's week out on the water. No guys, boyfriends or husbands allowed! If anyones see us, we will be flying the delicates on the haylard.. argggg! Stop and say HI! Boat's name is Ad Astra. Truely I appreciate all the good spots you all wrote!
Melissa
Old 06-17-2007

wlcoxe is on a distinguished road
If you see the USS Constitution in Baltimore, you are way off course, because she lies in Boston. The USS Constellation lies in Baltimore. Both are worthwhile
Bill Coxe, O40 Kukulcán, New London, CT
Old 06-17-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna
Thanks guys. You are the best. I knew I could count on all of you for some good advise. I am chartering a Catalina 36 for 6 women.. Women's week out on the water. No guys, boyfriends or husbands allowed! If anyones see us, we will be flying the delicates on the haylard.. argggg! Stop and say HI! Boat's name is Ad Astra. Truely I appreciate all the good spots you all wrote!
Melissa
Melissa -- Wow. That's a boat load of women for a 36 footer. Hope you're all good friends! You should have a blast, so go for it. The bay is a great place to cruise and all the places mentioned are great destinations. But perhaps you should have the Coast Guard send out a special notice to mariners warning others of your pirate ship of females?

Fair winds!

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 06-17-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlcoxe
If you see the USS Constitution in Baltimore, you are way off course, because she lies in Boston. The USS Constellation lies in Baltimore. Both are worthwhile
Bill Coxe, O40 Kukulcán, New London, CT
Bill -- Good catch. I blew right by that one when Cam moved Baltimore south to the Patuxent. So it's all Cam's fault.

They turn the Constellation around twice a year to even out the effects of sun and weather on the boat, and last year I tried to make it up there to watch. They did it earlier in the day than scheduled so I missed it. But it made a good excuse to miss work that day. I keep my boat on a creek near the mouth of the Patapsco.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 06-18-2007

foxglove is on a distinguished road
Do some crabbing

Don't forget to pick up some chicken necks or backs along with a net and some line. We cook ours on board.
Old 06-18-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Oh...don't bother with Baltimore...none of the stuff I thought was there actually is there. Better go up the Potomac to Norfolk instead! (G)