Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2002

carisea is on a distinguished road
ssb broadcasts

I just bought a boat that came with an SSB. I am not very experienced with its use or capabilities. I have a list of broadcast stations for weather/times and frequencies.I know the radio works because I have listened on random frequencies to people talking ship to ship but I can not seem to get these weather forecasts. I am docked in jacksonville ,fl. Is there a cruiser net or some method that will allow me to pick up weather at a given time in say the bahamas or down in the caribbean. Also radiotelephone service .I believe ATT has shut down the High seas telephone service so who do I use now
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2002

rrbryce is on a distinguished road
ssb broadcasts

we used Herb to give us daily weather info and help us make our go/no go decisions.

South Bound II, Herb, provides a daily ship-routing/weather forecasting service, as a hobby, on marine HF/SSB frequency 12359.0, starting at 2000 UTC until 2200 UTC or until completion of traffic. 8294.0 and 16531.0 are used as alternate frequencies as announced from time to time, subject to propagation

Vessels are welcome to check in between 1940 and 2000 UTC, and should then stand by, until contacted again once their area gets covered. New check-ins should provide a short description of their location on checking in for the first time.

At 2000 UTC, Herb will acknowlege all readable check-ins. Once on the South Bound II log, stations are encouraged to check in and stay in contact daily, until completion of passage.

As part of the service each vessel is requested to provide current latitude and longitude to the nearest minute, when called back; also to provide true wind speed and wind direction, the barometric pressure, sea state and other pertinent data, such as sky conditions/squalls. Each vessel will receive daily, an extended four to five day route forecast, including way points, if necessary, to assist in avoiding potentially unfavourable conditions.

Individual vessel forecasts are prepared in advance of air time, utilizing and editing numerical forecast models and other available data and products. Forecasts are provided as value added information, not as a copy or duplication of otherwise available or published offshore/high seas forecasts.

http://www.geocities.com/rrbryce
Old 02-19-2002

kimberlite is on a distinguished road
ssb broadcasts

many cruisers use herb.
we have been more than thrilled with his service. even though he will help anyone for free we always send him a check as a thank you.

i like his work better than even paid services as he speaks to people underway and you get real time updates.
last fall he mentioned a eddy about 200 miles south of bermuda . when i called my weather service in the morning they had no knowledge of this and he was dead on. saved us a half a day.

thanks herb!
eric
Old 02-19-2002

kimberlite is on a distinguished road
ssb broadcasts

I forgot to mention that WLO is still on the air. you can make phone calls through them after sending a $50- registration fee.

i think the best way to go now for an offshore phone is to get an irridium phone. we keep ours tucked away in our bail out bag.
eric
Old 02-20-2002

carisea is on a distinguished road
ssb broadcasts

thanks rrbryce I will give it a try just to listen I do not need a forecast yet put am tryin g to get my ducks in a row when we go cruising.- Carisea