Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2007

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
Re-entering or entering USA

Something has to be done to facilitate cruisers, both US citizens and non US citizens, entering the US via water. New regulations require all aboard to present themselves to a custom officer. In most cases this is very inconvenient. Friends who returned to the US from the Bahamas at Ponce de Leon inlet were asked to go to Jacksonville. The only way would have been to rent a car and drive there. In Miami you have to go to Dodge Island, which has no public transportation to it. Lake Worth you have to rent a car. The list goes on and on. There has to be a better way. The only way to change this is through Congress. It's up to you. I wonder what everyone thinks of this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I think that it is pretty easy via the Rio Grande to enter by water! (G)

Actually I agree that it sucks. (Ft. Pierce is better than most places in FL but still a pain.) I don't think there is a prayer of changing it since boaters don't represent much business or population and it is really not a major issue for boaters anywhere but FL and perhaps?? So. Cal.
Old 06-23-2007

Cam, I agree it's unlikely but I think the only way it might get changed is through a lobby group such as the National Marine Manufacters Association. This is a recent change in procedure which is more easily changed than before it becomes entrenched. The Border Protection people in Brunswick, Ga. actually come to your boat which is far better for the boater and as a way to prevent what ever it is they are trying to prevent.
Old 06-24-2007
SV Valerie Arden

varden is on a distinguished road
Cam, it's an odd requirement. You would think we would be required call and have them come to the boat so they could inspect. Do you think Boat US might want to champion a change here?

Last edited by varden; 06-24-2007 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-24-2007

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
I think the lesson here is obvious - once you get on the boat and leave the United States, it's important to never come back.

Take a hand saw so you can build a hut somewhere ...
Old 06-24-2007

Wind Magic, perhaps this might apply whether you have a boat or not. What happens to a US citizen who flies out of the US without a passport? According to the laws as they stand now he won't be allowed back in.
Old 06-27-2007

S2 Dave is on a distinguished road
ebs001,
We found an easy solution in Miami. We stayed at the Bayside Miamarina, the cheapest marina in Miami. It is right at the foot of the bridge to Dodge Island. It took us about 20 minutes to walk to Customs.
Dave
Old 06-27-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
After hopping in and out of the east coasts of Florida, South and North Carolina, I was never questioned about where I was coming in from. I could have been coming from most anywhere, and unless they are tracking each and every vessel out there, how would they have known?

Not saying to ignore the requirements, just that it doesn't seem to be a very vigilant area of concern.

Currently at 36 03 21 N 76 36 37 W

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-27-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
A tangent; what if you "leave" but don't go to another country before you come "back" into the US? For example, cutting the corner across the Gulf of Mexico to get from Pensacola to St Pete in a straight line? I know fishing boats often go out about 40 miles or more here (NC) to get to the stream, but they come back the same day to the same place.

EDIT - No, I am not about to do this and become one of those blue water rescues. I am just curious for future reference.

Last edited by arbarnhart; 06-27-2007 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-27-2007

PB, if you were to leave the USA and go to another country you are obligated to report in to Customs when you return. They may not catch you but I wouldn't want to face the consequences if they did.