Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2007

blueranger is on a distinguished road
I know but has anyone actually tried it?

Hi all,

Looking for my next boat and plan on using it for cruising after a couple years of daysailing and weekending. The boats I keep coming back to for a number of reasons are all 25'. Everything I've read and common knowledge states categorically that a 25' boat is too small for a couple to cruise on.

By cruising I mean a lot of coastal hopping with 2-3 major passages where we'll have several days out of sight of land.

I'll save the seaworthiness of a boat that small for another debate. Just curious if ther are any couples out there that have actually cruised for at least 6 months on a 25' boat and what their impression was and how it worked out. Any stories from those that have lived to tell the tale?

Thanks,
Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2007

southerncross31 is on a distinguished road
I bought a Pearson 26 to someday cruise on and it was too small. I couldn't deal with not being able to stand up, bumping my head when i woke up etc... There's not enough storage space, or a proper galley or head either. If it is going to be a boat you want to grow attached to and build up, don't shy away from a larger boat. Move up to 29-32 ft and it will be a different world. A boat that size can easily be singlehanded, will probably have an inboard (which is very important for safety issues) and will be more comfortable at anchor. 1/4 berths and small aftcabins are more likely on the larger boats, and great to have! Now i'm stuck trying to sell the P26 while i toil away tring to get my SC ready. It's like a stepping stone i didn't need. My uncle is a seasoned cruisesr and i have watched him move through several boats....SC28, IP29, ?34 etc. He now has a IP 38 and says he should have just started there. I should have listened myself
Old 06-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Unless it is a 25' Catamaran, it is very likely that a 25' boat is going to be too small for a couple. Head room on most 25' boats is fairly limited... and unless you're shorter than I am, you'll probably want something more like a 28-30' boat. An Alberg 30, Southern Cross 28/31, Cape Dory 28, are all good choices.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-23-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
Mike,
It all depends on you. A friend and I sailed to England from New York on a 27-foot Albin Vega. We had lots of room and that’s a small 27-footer compared to a fatter boat like a Catalina. When I was younger I lived on a 22-foot Sea Sprite and sailed one of them to England from Rhode Island and also found that I had lots of room. I have a friend that spends the winter living on her 40 footer in Florida and she wants a larger boat. It all depends on what you, not others, think is enough and what you and you partner needed at the time.
All the best,
Robert Gainer
Old 06-25-2007

blueranger is on a distinguished road
Being less hard-headed these days, I think the reasons for skipping over a 25 footer are valuable. At 6'2" headroom will definitely be an issue, and the head and galley issue have already been a point of concern. Thank you for the feedback and Sailingdog thank you for the suggestions. Your posts are always helpful.

I love the lines of the Cape Dory, that shouldn't be too painful...

Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-25-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You're welcome...also should look at the Bristols and the Cape Dory 30...

Glad to help.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-25-2007

44Kebeck is on a distinguished road
If you don't know about them you should really check out the Martin family who circumnavigated on a Cal 25.

Sail the World with the Martin Family
Old 06-25-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
You are probably aware of these folks down at the lower end of the length spectrum:

Microcruising in the Bahamas

They are just crossing to the Bahamas, but if you look in their links on the left at famous small boats, there are some amazing stories. I am not suggesting that you go that small, but it is some interesting reading to put things in perspective...
Old 06-25-2007

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
My previous boat was a Pearson 26. My wife and I cruised it each summer from western Long Island Sound to points east (Block Island, Newport, Martha's Vineyard, etc.) for periods as long as 3-4 weeks. I don't think I would want to spend longer periods than that on such a small boat. The recommendations for a bigger boat make great sense. It's surprising how much additional room you will pick up by going to 28-30 feet.
Old 06-25-2007
Catalina 38 Avantura

duffer1960 is on a distinguished road
Check this website out

This is the story/log of a couple whou cruised the islands on a 27 footer. Welcome to the Destiny Calls Home Page

It is great reading for everyone.
Catalina 38, Hull #112
"AVANTURA"
Lake Erie
Grosse Ile, Michigan