SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

infants, lifejackets, wee one issues: not looking good...

8K views 41 replies 16 participants last post by  pdqaltair 
#1 ·
Has anyone had experience with sailing/cruising with an infant? After many years of grinding, my work schedule finally allows my wife and I to do some cruising this season, and we've been especially excited (and somewhat apprehensive) about doing it with our now 5 month old daughter. I've got good protected spots identified to lash the car seat, and just bought her infant life jacket (Mustang brand). Tried to make her first sail this past weekend, but didn't even come close to getting her on the boat...normally a docile, good natured child, she screamed inconsolably as soon as we put on the jacket, and wouldn't stop until it came off. Tried multiple times and failed. I'm sure it felt too confining with all that bulky stuff surrounding her.

So, has anyone had experience with a different brand of life jacket for infants that might be more comfortable but still provides sufficient floatation? Other than the Mustang brand, all other jackets I've seen look cheap and unsafe.

We have great dreams and increasingly serious plans to be living aboard and doing extend cruising within a year or two, and I've got a million fears and questions about doing it with a young child on board. Here we are unable to get beyond this simple first step. Hoping this isn't a deal breaker. Would welcome advice on this issue, or any other advice in general, about cruising with the wee little ones...

See less See more
#28 · (Edited)
Well, I see this is a bit of an old thread. Sorry Jakmedic, I did not see it at the time.

I would not go with ANY other PFD other than a Mustang. I am a huge fan of their products. Our fist son was on board at 5 days old and we lived aboard and cruised. Life jackets are a must and should be worn a bunch to get them used to it. As was mentioned earlier, they WILL get accustomed to it and it will not be an issue.

You can take them swimming in their jacket to try and start getting them used to it. Taking it off when they cry about it is a great way to start a bad habit. They will just cry everytime you put it on. Once they figure out it is not debateable, they will deal with it.

I will tell you our rules: If at the marina in the cockpit without someone in the cockpit with them, they typically need to wear their lifejacket. Reason being is that if the fall overboard at the marina, chances are that they will bang their head. Not so at anchor. However, without adult supervision, they are always required to have their jacket on anywhere outside. When underway, my kids do not wear a jacket down below. THey do when we are under way and they are in the cockpit.

You are going to HAVE to get her used to wearing that jacket because you will be doing a lot of rides in the tender, and it is neccessary in the tender.

Also, when our kids were infants, we rarely put the jacket on them. You can strap them into a car seat or a play pin and they are fine with that. Even when in the cocpit, we typically did not put them in a jacket except if the weather began to get questionable. At those times the kids go down below anyways. When the kids get a bit older and they can move around, the rules change. But I guarantee you that they will get used to it. All kids do. Just stay firm and don't give in.

For your information, we are going to be putting togther an article on cruising with kids. It appears we will get a lot of participation from many cruisers with children - including Melanie Neale, whom I have been in contact with.

Hopefully it will be informative, helpful, and fun.

All the best. Hope the post made sense. I am running today and not writing my best.

- CD

#29 ·
Hey Cruisingdad, just found your post, thanks! Sure am inspired by your experience with kids growing up on board, and dreaming to make that happen with us. Your rules for the kids make a lot of sense and were very helpful...I'm sure you're right, our little one will eventually deal with the PFD issue and get used to it just fine (still haven't gotten her on board yet!). Can't wait to make this whole thing really happen....

Have you gotten your cruising with kids article together yet? I'd love to read it...

Thanks again...

#30 · (Edited)
PFDs are non-negotiable with my kids

My daughters are aged 8 and 11 and PFDs are non-negotiable, period. When it's hot, or dead calm or "hey Dad, the kids on THAT boat over there don't have them on..." -- tough darts, gotta wear 'em. Don't give in, ever, and it quickly will become habit. Most important is that they fit properly and are comfortable (not all are, of course).

Best suggestion... Take the kids to the store to pick out their own -- ones with cartoon characters on it perhaps, as long as it's a 'legal' type xxx (III? sorry, it's early) pfd. They'll actually *like* wearing it if has SpongeBob, Dora, etc on it.

If we're cruising and are below for the night, the pfds can come off. Until then, they're on - from when we board the launch to when we get on shore.

#32 ·
Jak,

The message you should take from this whole thread is that infants (<1 year old +/-) generally put up quite a bit of fuss when forced to wear life jackets. Thus your now 6 month old is perfectly normal in this respect -- you are not doing anything wrong and there isn't much you can do to make it go better, except wait. Once kids get into the toddler age range, the PFDs fit a bit better and they can be acclimated to them as long as you are firm and don't give in to the fussing. Some other thoughts:

Another post mentioned that he'd never had anyone fall overboard. Nor have I. But it can happen. In my home town, when I was growing up, an experienced sailing couple lost their two-year old overboard in some gusty conditions very close to their homeport. The child sank like a rock right before their eyes in deep water (and was never recovered). That reality always haunted me. So be prepared for a different kind of sailing than you may have been used to pre-kids. Kids don't float, so you must take precautions and be vigilant at all times.

We have the same rule as many of the others who posted: Until our kids could swim well, PFDs were required at all times while on deck or in the dinghies, whether underway or anchored/docked (including on the dock). Now that they are stronger swimmers and older, we have slightly eased the PFD rule so they can relax in the cockpit when we are securely anchored or moored. It helps if parents set a good example by wearing PFDs as well, especially when underway.

I was glad to see no one recommended harnesses. Until kids are much older, these actually pose a serious strangulation hazard for infants and toddlers.

While the risk of going overboard is very real, the biggest actual problem we faced was protecting our kids from the sun. That is another reason why having a safe place belowdecks where they can nap and play is really the best option while they're infants/toddlers.

We had 3 under 3, and in all honesty we found sailing with infants and toddlers less than relaxing (including the aforementioned difficulty with infants and PFDs). So we waited a bit before doing much sailing with the kids. By waiting until they were all toddlers/pre-schoolers we found the stress level diminished considerably. Your mileage may vary.

#33 ·
JRP, thanks for your thoughts. The story of the 2 year old from your hometown makes me nauseous and want to forget the whole idea, and maybe just rent a log cabin in Wyoming for our get-aways, but then the kids could get eaten by bears, I suppose...the possibility of tragedy is always lurking, unless one remains at home, right?. So I want to do this, safely as possible, and your experience with your kids, as with others who have written, is very encouraging. I still don't know what to do with the infant stage...on a calm day, I can picture my wife holding the baby without a PFD when sitting in the cockpit, since the baby can't go anywhere on her own, and with the understanding that she never leaves the cockpit without first putting our daughter below or strapped in the child seat first. Also, if I needed help from my wife quickly, it would be harder to get the baby in the car seat if she were wearing a PFD (would have to come off fist). Of course, in any kind of weather, or as soon as the baby can move about on her own, the jacket would stay on whenever not below. Seems that other folks I've spoken to have done it this way. I've been doing a lot of thinking about this, and not much (any) sailing, so I think we need to just get out there and try it to see what works. At the rate we're going, our kid is going to be walking by then anyway, so perhaps the jacket issue will just solve itself...

Thanks for your thoughts. They are a big help....

#35 ·
Just thought I'd bring this thread back to the top.

Have you cruised with your kids? If so, how has it gone?
On the PFD issue...

PFDs are the house rule and non-negotiable for my 8 and 12yo and any of their friends who sail with us. The *only* exception is when we're sitting on the mooring or on the hook and they are confined to the cockpit, say having dinner, or below for the evening.

Both my kids are strong swimmers -- my 12yo daughter does junior triathlons -- but don't argue and know they are required on the launch as well. My older daughter knows the state requirements and has also been reminded that the captain's law supercedes the state law :)

Right now, my kids are just as itchy for warmer weather and getting back out as I am. Their favorite place on the boat is on the bow and getting wet. Cruising is all about the destinations for my kids. They're up for a few days on the boat and then need a break -- in local waters (meaning LI Sound), cruising for 3 or 4 nights is a nice adventure for them. Get them to the BVI (on my todo list...) and a week would be no sweat.

#39 ·

In MD children are required to wear PFDs when in the cockpit or on deck. Down below it is not required. But, my rule is if they can't swim they wear them when awake, no matter how much they protest. My daughter wasn't too fond of putting the 6 week old baby in a PFD but I explained the law is the law. Plus, what happens when a real accident occurs and the adult is thrown overboard? My 2 year old granddaughter wears hers as well. My nine year old nephew doesn't swim, so he wears a PFD when anywhere near the boat (dock etc). As you can see my grandchildren above wear theirs, no matter the age.

In MD this is the law:
Mandatory Life Jacket Requirements for Children
Effective June 1, 2001, all children under the age of 7 must wear a United States Coast Guard
approved Personal Flotation Device (Life Jacket - Type I, II, III or V) while underway on a
recreational vessel under 21 feet in length on Maryland waters. Recreational vessel includes
motorboats, sailboats, canoes, kayaks, rowboats and any other device capable of being used
for transportation on the water, when the vessel is being used for other than commercial
purposes. The life jacket must be the proper size for the child and must be in good and
serviceable condition. This requirement does not apply when a vessel is moored or anchored,
or when a child is below deck or in an enclosed cabin.

Effective April 1, 2006 an addition to the above law has been made regarding personal
flotation devices (PFDs) for children. Under the new law, if a child is less than 4 years of age
or weighs under 50 pounds, the child must wear a PFD with specific additional safety features
including: a strap that is secured between the child's legs to fasten together at the front and
back of the PFD; an inflatable headrest or high collar to keep the child's head above the
water; and a web handle to ensure the ready accessibility of the child from the water.

#40 ·
Joe-

Just curious... what does the law say about vessels greater than 21' LOA??

#41 ·
I am sorry, the child lifejacket law says,"On April 1, 2006 a new Maryland law governing personal flotation devices (PFDs) for children goes into effect. Under the new law, if a child is less than 4 years of age or weighs under 50 pounds, the child must wear a PFD with specific additional safety features including: a strap that is secured between the child's legs to fasten together the front and back of the PFD; an inflatable headrest or high collar to keep the child's head above water; and a web handle to ensure the ready accessibility of the child from the vessel. Click here to see a photograph of a PFD meeting these standards and instructions on the new law. "

On another site (http://www.dnr.state.md.us/boating/safety/recreationvessels.pdf) talks about general life jackets. It also says these laws are in addition to the USCG laws requiring PFD Life Jackets (Personal Flotation Device) General Life Jacket (PFD) Information Life jackets must be Coast Guard approved, in good and serviceable condition, readily
available and of appropriate size for the intended user. Throwable devices (Type IV) must
be immediately available. Though not required, a life jacket should be worn at all times
when the vessel is underway. A wearable life jacket may save your life, but only if you
wear it. If a type V life jacket is to be counted toward minimum carriage requirements,
it must be worn and may be carried instead of another type of life jacket only if used
according to the approval conditions on the label.​
Life jackets are required on nonmotorized vessels including canoes and kayaks.PFDs for everyone onboard. So MD has specific laws for children and boats in additon to USCG law.​

#42 ·
I had the same problem. However, kids are used to being stapped-in and she took well to wearing a harness. Get a good full-body harness and she can crawl around to her hearts content, as long as you keep the tether short enough to keep her from the edge.

We have a catamaran, and the trampoline worked particularly well! Bounce, Bounce....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.