infants, lifejackets, wee one issues: not looking good... - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2007
San Juan 26

LittleMissMagic is on a distinguished road
Pinned below

Wouldn't a life jacket below decks be potentially dangerous in the event of a catastrophic sinking, pinning the wearer below? I know this would not matter much in the case of an infant I'm just curious about my older kids and non swimming passengers.
Old 06-26-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
USCG-

Paranoia aside, I don't believe you need to have PFD on the little ones if they are below, in an enclosed cabin space.
I guess it's all what you are comfortable with. I suppose if the boat sinks and you're down below, your not gonna float anyway.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Actually, having a PFD on in a sinking boat can badly interfere with your ability to get free.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-26-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
The only time I sailed with an infant on board he slept in a net hammock that we had in the V-berth - the nylon ones that we usually stow bedding in. According to my brother, who owned the child, this is a popular method of keeping them out of harm's way, and they seem to find the swaying to be soothing.
Old 06-28-2007

ref_123 is on a distinguished road
Guide by example

Hi Jak,

my answer is - get yourself a similarly looking "traditional" PFD. Babies are OK to do whaever if their parents do it. My girl was REQUESTING to get into the PFD when she saw me putting mine on ).

On the other hand, although our girl (2.5 now) got on a boat at a very early age, she sailed only in the main cabin until she was over a year old.

You can get her a great baby hammock so that she is comfortable underway - Hammocks - Hammock Heaven, check the Bambi line. Attaches to cabin handrails in a second.

Regards,
Stan
Old 06-28-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormann
According to my brother, who owned the child, this is a popular method of keeping them out of harm's way, and they seem to find the swaying to be soothing.
Hey how much did he pay for that kid?

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 07-02-2007

sailollie is on a distinguished road
I would give it a few months too. There's a world of difference between a 5 month old that can barely sit and an 8 or 9 month old that crawls. But definitely keep trying--and good luck!
Old 07-02-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Well, I see this is a bit of an old thread. Sorry Jakmedic, I did not see it at the time.

I would not go with ANY other PFD other than a Mustang. I am a huge fan of their products. Our fist son was on board at 5 days old and we lived aboard and cruised. Life jackets are a must and should be worn a bunch to get them used to it. As was mentioned earlier, they WILL get accustomed to it and it will not be an issue.

You can take them swimming in their jacket to try and start getting them used to it. Taking it off when they cry about it is a great way to start a bad habit. They will just cry everytime you put it on. Once they figure out it is not debateable, they will deal with it.

I will tell you our rules: If at the marina in the cockpit without someone in the cockpit with them, they typically need to wear their lifejacket. Reason being is that if the fall overboard at the marina, chances are that they will bang their head. Not so at anchor. However, without adult supervision, they are always required to have their jacket on anywhere outside. When underway, my kids do not wear a jacket down below. THey do when we are under way and they are in the cockpit.

You are going to HAVE to get her used to wearing that jacket because you will be doing a lot of rides in the tender, and it is neccessary in the tender.

Also, when our kids were infants, we rarely put the jacket on them. You can strap them into a car seat or a play pin and they are fine with that. Even when in the cocpit, we typically did not put them in a jacket except if the weather began to get questionable. At those times the kids go down below anyways. When the kids get a bit older and they can move around, the rules change. But I guarantee you that they will get used to it. All kids do. Just stay firm and don't give in.

For your information, we are going to be putting togther an article on cruising with kids. It appears we will get a lot of participation from many cruisers with children - including Melanie Neale, whom I have been in contact with.

Hopefully it will be informative, helpful, and fun.

All the best. Hope the post made sense. I am running today and not writing my best.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Last edited by Cruisingdad; 07-02-2007 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-18-2007

jakmedic is on a distinguished road
Hey Cruisingdad, just found your post, thanks! Sure am inspired by your experience with kids growing up on board, and dreaming to make that happen with us. Your rules for the kids make a lot of sense and were very helpful...I'm sure you're right, our little one will eventually deal with the PFD issue and get used to it just fine (still haven't gotten her on board yet!). Can't wait to make this whole thing really happen....

Have you gotten your cruising with kids article together yet? I'd love to read it...

Thanks again...
Old 07-19-2007

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
PFDs are non-negotiable with my kids

My daughters are aged 8 and 11 and PFDs are non-negotiable, period. When it's hot, or dead calm or "hey Dad, the kids on THAT boat over there don't have them on..." -- tough darts, gotta wear 'em. Don't give in, ever, and it quickly will become habit. Most important is that they fit properly and are comfortable (not all are, of course).

Best suggestion... Take the kids to the store to pick out their own -- ones with cartoon characters on it perhaps, as long as it's a 'legal' type xxx (III? sorry, it's early) pfd. They'll actually *like* wearing it if has SpongeBob, Dora, etc on it.

If we're cruising and are below for the night, the pfds can come off. Until then, they're on - from when we board the launch to when we get on shore.
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~

Last edited by CLucas; 07-19-2007 at 10:05 AM.