Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2007

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
Hmm. If someone has some belief thats nice. What gets me is the presumption I don't and their's is better. I guess that is ok til I say "go away". Most seem to accept that. Nice to see americans won't get involved in religious disputes.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
The title thread "sharing", right? So it should be like a pot luck; everyone is welcome to bring their beliefs to the table and we all share.

Here is an interesting observation of mine...
The people who devote their lives to their faiths for little or no gain - monks or other "holy" folk who live simply, practice deep meditation and perform mundane duties (farming, cleaning, cooking, etc) exist in almost every religion and are generally very tolerant of each other. There are also religous leaders in nearly all religions that live elegantly and their sole means of support is contributions from their congregation. There tends to be less tolerance in this group (with some notable exceptions; there are some good people trying to change systems from within).

I believe all rivers lead to the sea, though there are backwaters. There are many mountains to climb and the view from the top from any of them is about the same, but beware of false summits. I am happy to share my beliefs with others as long as there is mutual respect.
Old 06-26-2007

sailorjim99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Wow!!!

Wow,,,Guys

This is actually the largest thread I have read from start to finish.

It was riviting reading.
Do you think MISSIONARY got the message?

As someone who does not live in America, it came as a shock.
I was raised on American shows like "Leave it to Beaver" , "Father knows best" , "Dennis the menace" and who could forget "The Waltons" and "The Andy Griffiths Show".

You mean to tell me it was all a conspiracy by the United States to send the free world into a feeling of well being and security by making believe that America was right because God was on their side?

Oh Lord, wont you buy me a Mercedes Benz so I can show these guys JUST how wrong they are.....PLEASE, PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE....

Just wait untill Jimmy Swaggart hears what you all said. You are in real big trouble now..

So guys, keep the faith.

Jim

P.S. I thought TDW was very reserved in his reply.
You didn't shut him down for something when I wasn't looking, did you?
Old 06-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Nope....wombat hunting season doesn't open for another week or so.... july 1 I believe is the start date.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorjim99
Wow,,,Guys

This is actually the largest thread I have read from start to finish.

It was riviting reading.
Do you think MISSIONARY got the message?

As someone who does not live in America, it came as a shock.
I was raised on American shows like "Leave it to Beaver" , "Father knows best" , "Dennis the menace" and who could forget "The Waltons" and "The Andy Griffiths Show".

You mean to tell me it was all a conspiracy by the United States to send the free world into a feeling of well being and security by making believe that America was right because God was on their side?

Oh Lord, wont you buy me a Mercedes Benz so I can show these guys JUST how wrong they are.....PLEASE, PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE....

Just wait untill Jimmy Swaggart hears what you all said. You are in real big trouble now..

So guys, keep the faith.

Jim

P.S. I thought TDW was very reserved in his reply.
You didn't shut him down for something when I wasn't looking, did you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-26-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I am happy to share my beliefs with others as long as there is mutual respect.
I promise to respect any views you may hold regarding boats, boating, sailing, weather, fibreglass, wood, metal, marine electronics, or cruising with unusual companions. I may not agree with them, and may respond with gentle (usually) ridicule or outright contradiction, but those are the subjects that I hope to see discussed here, and that I believe are appropriate here.
Old 06-26-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpraca
Thanks Valiente. It is a lot easier to find coherence in the quotations of men than the quotations of God that can be used to sustain any point of view from human sacrifice to the slaughter of unbelievers. Of course, that God speaks the words that humans put in his mouth for their momentary convenience, when they did not have the credibility to own them.
I still don't get the whole "Abraham, prove you love me by killing your son...NO, MAN, JUST MESSING WITH YA!" or "Job, prove you love me (or are a clueless dupe) by enduring vast hardships and ending up as whalebait...NO, MAN, JUST MESSING WITH YA!" or "Yeah, my magical son has to die to be a sin sponge for the rest of you losers....NO, MAN....."

Sense a pattern? It's called sociopathy, with marked sadistic elements. Probably too heavy a concept for the sunstroked Hebraic shepherds of 1,300 B.C. who hallucinated this crap (and all the sand-blasted, self-righteous "prophets" that followed, in a depressing pattern, until Muhammad and his cheerful little revisions), but Yahweh/God/Allah is a twisted little bastard, and unworthy of all that attention he craves....not to mention the Mount Ararat-sized heap of foreskins snipped to mark some sort of "covenant" for the last 30 centuries. What's with that? What sort of contract needs to involve **** mutilation? What's wrong with a simple handshake?

As for Jesus, well...nice guy, but the only woman he knows aside from the mother he lived with until he was 30 is the town bike, and who hangs out with 12 job-leavers and family abandoners. Personally, I think he made some good points, even if he attributed them to his celestial dad, the sort of character who would knock up a virgin with a ghostly rooting, but his followers seem to have missed the message, by and large.
Old 06-26-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbarnhart
The title thread "sharing", right? So it should be like a pot luck; everyone is welcome to bring their beliefs to the table and we all share.

Here is an interesting observation of mine...
The people who devote their lives to their faiths for little or no gain - monks or other "holy" folk who live simply, practice deep meditation and perform mundane duties (farming, cleaning, cooking, etc) exist in almost every religion and are generally very tolerant of each other. There are also religous leaders in nearly all religions that live elegantly and their sole means of support is contributions from their congregation. There tends to be less tolerance in this group (with some notable exceptions; there are some good people trying to change systems from within).

I believe all rivers lead to the sea, though there are backwaters. There are many mountains to climb and the view from the top from any of them is about the same, but beware of false summits. I am happy to share my beliefs with others as long as there is mutual respect.
A reasonable post. I think few people are enemies of faith or belief, even though many accept the possibility that it's a form of delusion, because it's essentially a private pursuit. Others don't mind religions of the quieter, non-proselytizing sort: Ba'hais, Quakers, Wiccans and Jews have never knocked on my door, offering up a sales pitch for their particular interpretations of Deity. Consequently, it is of little concern of mine what those people believe, because their faith doesn't "want me" or need to "save me" from some persistent moral stain splashed about when Adam fell off a dinosaur in the pre-Pharonic age. The political interests of Jews concerning Israel is another thing, but surprisingly, Israel isn't about Judaism, and never was, and many Israelis today are strong Zionists without being observant Jews. Funny, that.

But you are right in your comments, and I wish more people would share without assuming the default position that "I am right and you are deluded/heretical/in a state of "sin" (whatever the hell that is)".

We've had quite enough of that sort of talk the last few thousand years, and it's religious extremism that has brought us, in part, to our current sorry path, where we are bickering about sky fairies and insults to the mouthpieces of sky fairies while the world is becoming ever filthier, hungrier, more densely populated and less equitable...what a stupid bunch of monkeys!

Not to mention how all this blather cuts into the sailing time....
Old 06-26-2007

equitiman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente

We've had quite enough of that sort of talk the last few thousand years, and it's religious extremism that has brought us, in part, to our current sorry path, where we are bickering about sky fairies and insults to the mouthpieces of sky fairies while the world is becoming ever filthier, hungrier, more densely populated and less equitable...what a stupid bunch of monkeys!
Wow so many good points made on this thread...but I like this one the most...
Old 06-26-2007

toddrtownsend is on a distinguished road
As for the Founders, I always thought that "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness flew in the face [pun intended] of "turn the other cheek."

Whether or not they believed or didn't they set out a system [now corrupted] of government "for the people by the people" in direct rejection of the divine right of kings. Regardless of how the Founders believed, they set up a system of government that did not rely on anything unearthly at all.

TrT
Old 06-26-2007
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
"Would Jesus Wear a Rolex?" - The Cluster Pluckers

(Oops, my bad, thought i was in the "song chain"...)

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)