Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2007
Hughes 38 Mark II

lgherb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnewsboy
If Christians are the problem, as so many seem to think, how is it that so many charities, hospitals and the original homeless shelters still have distinctively Christian names?

Why also do you suppose that the Founders spoke so plainly of Christianity as an essential element of American society?
I am amazed at how ignorant most Americans are of the "Founders." It seems that the "Christian" political groups have an agenda to obfuscate the truth by erroneously portraying the "Founders" as a cohesive group of devout Christians who set out forge a "Christian" nation.

In actuality - though there were some devout Christians who are considered "founding fathers" of the country - the "Founders" were very much like what we see in politics today: a often oppositional collection of divergent thinkers with a wide range of beliefs and agendas. Many of the "Founders" were not "Christians" at all, but rejected organized religion altogether as a relic of an "unenlightened" era in the past. Yet others were adherents of "Deism", which was a belief in an ultimate creator who did not meddle or care about the daily lives of people.

The "Founders" of the nation were all products of the Enlightenment who held European governments as failed models of government that used force and religion to keep wealth and society stratified along lines of genealogy instead of merit. The "Founders" almost unanimously feared having religion and government intertwined.

The country's legal system was not founded on biblical principles, but was founded on the Roman Republic and Greek Democracy (both very polytheistic societies).

Though the settlement of the colonies a couple hundred years prior to the American Revolution was achieved in a large part by devout religious groups seeking to escape persecution for their beliefs in Europe, there were also groups settling the colonies for nothing more than a chance to make money.

Just as societal mores have generally changed in the last couple hundred years judging by today's standards, so too had they changed between the time the "Puritans" landed at Plymouth Rock and the eve of the American Revolution arrived.

Certain religious groups today have a clear agenda of attempting to replace historical fact with bedtime fiction in portraying the settlement of the colonies and the founding of our Republic as one unified, Christian-driven destiny when in fact it was really a collection of periods with diverse driving forces. Other pseudo scholars could just as easily pick entirely different evidential motivations as root causes of the nation's genesis.

Lgherb
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2007
Siren 17

danjarch will become famous soon enough
This isn't limited to certain religious groups. There is an old adage " he who controls the past controls the future. " as well as " the victore wrights the history ". Rewriting the past to change the perception of an event, movement, product or company is really common
Old 06-26-2007
Grampian 26 Owner

sidiag is on a distinguished road
After 110 posts
Nobody's views will be/have been changed - lets move on
- - - - - - - -

Stan G.
s/v Tryphena a '74 Grampian 26
-------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sidiag; 06-26-2007 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-26-2007

Siamese is on a distinguished road
I've found a Christian will screw you over just as fast as a non-Christian. Why not just keep your faith to yourself? If you feel the need to discuss online go to the appropriate website.
Old 06-26-2007

RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese
I've found a Christian will screw you over just as fast as a non-Christian. Why not just keep your faith to yourself? If you feel the need to discuss online go to the appropriate website.
After much thought and analysis, I can not see where the fun in that would be.........
Old 06-26-2007
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
sidiag and Siamese,

Please accept our apologies. This is more of an 'off-topic' thread that got away. As such, and noticing that you two are too civil to engage in the childish behavior that passes for 'discussion' in that arena, please see the "Off-topic FAQ's" that I recently posted. It will explain (after a fashion) why this thread will continue long after it loses all coherence and relevance, probably declining into personal attacks and vitrol.

Perhaps someone should ask a moderator to move this to the ‘off topic’ arena before any more of the ‘normals’ are disturbed….

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/off-to...opic-faqs.html

(NB - any sarcasm that may or may not exist in the above post is NOT directed at those to whom the post is actually adressed)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)
Old 06-26-2007

CoralReefer is on a distinguished road
12 pages of crap. No such thing as a Christian only hypocritical sheep. Show me 1 just 1 person who has no prejudice, loves everyone on this planet, who would give everything he or she owned to someone who needed it more, who would die for another human and not take another life, who would loose it all to refuse to fight or go to war, who has not harmed a single creature on this planet, or who has always abided by the golden rule. Every person who has ever gone to war and taken life did not turn the other cheek, did not listen to what God said but instead put their government ahead of God. To all of you I say ********, your a hypocrite and whatever religion you belive in is crap.
Old 06-26-2007
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
(wow, that was faster than i expected...)

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)
Old 06-26-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I believe in SolarStiks, and that they can perform miracles!
Old 06-26-2007

RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralReefer
12 pages of crap. No such thing as a Christian only hypocritical sheep. Show me 1 just 1 person who has no prejudice, loves everyone on this planet, who would give everything he or she owned to someone who needed it more, who would die for another human and not take another life, who would loose it all to refuse to fight or go to war, who has not harmed a single creature on this planet, or who has always abided by the golden rule. Every person who has ever gone to war and taken life did not turn the other cheek, did not listen to what God said but instead put their government ahead of God. To all of you I say ********, your a hypocrite and whatever religion you belive in is crap.
Wow. All of a sudden I feel articulate, yet subtle.

Thanx........