Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Okay, okay, okay-- I get the message. I need to add a bottle of The Captain to my ship's booze locker!

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw
I promise to crucify a couple of nuns and a brace of priests on the morrow.

OK ?
Reminds me of a joke I used at work on some union idiots who were pushing for a child care center in one of our buildings. I told them that finally, after much persuasion on my part, management had decided to put a child care center in their building. But to save costs, it was going to be run by Catholic priests. Never heard another word from them about it.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 06-24-2007
Missionary

Missionary is on a distinguished road
By the postings I must be wrong, very few Christians here, what a shame. I just have one question? When you die and face God, what will you tell Him is the reason you sould be allowed into heaven? Please think about it.
Tom
Old 06-24-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missionary
By the postings I must be wrong, very few Christians here, what a shame. I just have one question? When you die and face God, what will you tell Him is the reason you sould be allowed into heaven? Please think about it.
Tom
Oh Eff off. What a stupid thing to ask a bunch of atheists. Dimwit. You might want to believe in your (hi there CGRet ) bloody sky pixie but I don't. Now go away.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 06-24-2007

southerncross31 is on a distinguished road
I drove by a church on the way to work on my boat~2 months ago. The sign said "when the end comes you will be judged by father god not mother earth". It occured to me that for most sailors this is not the case! I think the thing that is sad about most religions (aside of causing most wars) is that the followers are made to feel guilty for living. It is okay to abide by a code of morals and beliefs, it is another thing entirely to state that others will be judged according to your beliefs. People are offened by religious solicitations because they don't like to be judged. Religion is rapidly loosing popularity in most modern cultures for many reasons. The sad part of this is that along with it goes a code of morals that has helped to balance human desire with respect for others.
If you really want to help fellow Christians than go find someone who is really down in the dumps, depressed or a drug addict, abused person or some poor corrupt soul, and take them sailing. Show them the better side of life and help them to heal. You can explain to them that God is there to help them, not judge them. Don't act like you are above everyone and have higher understanding though. Nobody likes that.
Old 06-24-2007

byrondv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Tom
I hope you will be able to face God and explain to him how you mannaged to push a group of people even further away from Him. I hope you realize you have done more harm to the image of your Savior then any athiest could ever hope to do.

"(1-2) But there were also lying prophets among the people then, just as there will be lying religious teachers among you. They'll smuggle in destructive divisions, pitting you against each otheróbiting the hand of the One who gave them a chance to have their lives back! They've put themselves on a fast downhill slide to destruction, but not before they recruit a crowd of mixed-up followers who can't tell right from wrong.

(2-3) They give the way of truth a bad name. They're only out for themselves. They'll say anything, anything, that sounds good to exploit you. They won't, of course, get by with it. They'll come to a bad end, for God has never just stood by and let that kind of thing go on." 2 Peter 2:1-3 (The Message)

You should be praying for forgiveness.

To everyone else:
As an agnostic who attends a protestant Christian church every so often in part of my search... I want to appologize for this... for both myself and the Christians who try to honestly follow the loving and accepting actions of Christ. This type of 'damnation by hell fire' talk is unaccetable, and I hope you will accept an appology for a fringe of what can and should be a group of accepting people (though all to often isn't).

- Byron
Old 06-24-2007
Missionary

Missionary is on a distinguished road
I have.
Hattii - well repair
Panama - working with teams with the Kuna Indians on the San Blas Islands for 2 1/2 years
Morroco- Prayer Walking
Trandad - visiting the poor door to door
Chile working in a boarding school
Costa Rica - building conference center
Brazil, Amazon River door to door visiting
Belize - camp for youth
Thailand - can't say
Honduras - building home for homeless children
My life has been spent for others

subject closed
Old 06-25-2007
Zingaro

mpraca is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Tom
From what I hear heaven is not all that it's craked up to be. There's no sex, no booze... the music is terrible...
Tell me Mish, what in that deal did they offer you that caught your interest?
_^_____
Oh salsus mare!
quantus vestri salis
est lacrima Portucalis
Old 06-25-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpraca
From what I hear heaven is not all that it's craked up to be. There's no sex, no booze... the music is terrible...
Tell me Mish, what in that deal did they offer you that caught your interest?
Yah, Sure, but if you were a Moslem you could slaughter a few christians down here and have , what is it, seventy ? virgins up there. Then again you might just prefer an earthbound strumpet to a heavenly virgin. I know I would.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 06-25-2007
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
I found myself out in the Gulf one night in 15 - 20 foot seas with lightning strikes the only way to see where the water met the sky. Wicked winds reeking havoc with the 32 foot aluminum lightning rod! Scariest night of my life! I truly thought I might not survive that night. I didn't pray to Captain Morgan or Mother Earth. I sent those prayers up where I thought they would do the most good. Yes I am a Christian but that doesn't mean I can’t enjoy some good rum with some sailing buddies and we do - often. It's always on board and all are welcome to share – without a sermon. By the way, I don't consider Captain Morgan very good rum - well maybe in rum balls or girly drinks. I have a friend, who doesn't believe in God, actually several friends that way, but this friend says he prays to him anyway . . . just in case. My dad, who met his maker at 600mph with a full bomb load said his fellow fighter pilots may seem nothing more than boozers and lady chasers but every one of them got religion at times in that cockpit. I imagine many of you have gotten a little religion on occasion if you've spent much time on the water. If you haven't, well, enjoy that rum. At least buy the good stuff.

One of my favorite stories is the one about renowned atheist W.C. Fields on his death bed. His best friend caught him reading the bible and asked what he was doing. Fields replied "looking for loop holes". Food for thought when you are alone, really alone. I'll bet the Missionary would be the first to call if you needed it and he's never met you.

I've enjoyed the heck out of this bulletin board. Never posted. Just enjoy all the knowledge and help ya'll share. I've learned a lot and appreciate every one of you guy's . . . and gals. Hope I haven't ruined any invitations to come aboard for drink or three should we ever cross paths. I just had to jump in to the fight. Man this is a tough room!