Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2007
can't re member

yotphix is on a distinguished road
Retclt, you would be welcome on my boat. Just would be any religious person of any stripe. If conversation happened to turn to religion it could go there.
I can, however, assure you that when the s%*@ hits the fan and things look dire I am busy scheming a way out, and not praying! the god that was preached to me each night after dinner by my minister father is omniescent and loves all his creations so I figure he doesn't need me to tell him when I'm in trouble!
That god was also tolerant. Coincidentally enough, so am I. I'm sure we would get along fine...just like I do with the voices in my head!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by retclt
One of my favorite stories is the one about renowned atheist W.C. Fields on his death bed. His best friend caught him reading the bible and asked what he was doing. Fields replied "looking for loop holes". Food for thought when you are alone, really alone. I'll bet the Missionary would be the first to call if you needed it and he's never met you.

I've enjoyed the heck out of this bulletin board. Never posted. Just enjoy all the knowledge and help ya'll share. I've learned a lot and appreciate every one of you guy's . . . and gals. Hope I haven't ruined any invitations to come aboard for drink or three should we ever cross paths. I just had to jump in to the fight. Man this is a tough room!

Always amazes me, and I'm not putting you into this category btw, how many people suddenly find God when they are **** scacred or at death's door. Now if I were God and one of these tossers showed up on my doorstep I'd give 'em the bum's rush right smartly.

Oh and I know it's an old line but it also staggers me how many believers are so damn quick to thank the lord for saving one person from a plane crash. Not a word of critiscism for having just killed the oether 200 people, oh no, but praise the lord and pass the peanuts for the other.

My attitude is this, I don't believe that Jehovah exists, I don't believe that the Holy Spirit wafted on down from on high and gave Mary a good seeing too and I don't believe JC died for my sins. On the other hand if by chance Jehovah does exist I reckon he's a venal old bastard albeit with a somewhat bizarre sense of humour.

(terrible typing edited)

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 06-25-2007 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-25-2007
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
I agree, when it hits the fan I'll be multitasking. Pull - Pray - Pull - sip - pull - pull - pull. I asked an Army Ranger friend (I have a lot of friends) how he preferred to hit the ground if both chutes failed. He said (while motioning) pulling and grabbing at his gear to make it work - never stop.

By the way, we have some Tequela and other concoctions from south of the border that may help with those voices in the head.
Old 06-25-2007

kptmorgan04 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to kptmorgan04
tough crowd

wow, a little bit surprised by the harsh reactions by many on here. This is a public board where people are allowed to say whatever comes to their minds, no one is forcing anyone to read or respond to a thread if you dont want to.

I believe in Christ as my saviour, but try to have my actions speak for myself and not my words. If anyone ever approached me, sure I would share my thoughts and beliefs, but I wouldnt and havent ever solicited anyone. I have good friends who are BIG time Christians, athiests, and various other religions and I dont judge them for what they do or do not believe, to each their own.

I enjoy a good drink or 3 or 10 as much as anyone and at times too much, I have fun, and occasionaly raise hell on the town and on the seas, but I think that it is the basic principals of any religion of treating people fairly and kindly that many sailors have anyway that is what mattes most.
I just got finished reading "Dove" and above any religion or specific "god" I share his ending thoughts of a higher being and that the natural beauty of this world is amazing that hopefully as cruisers we can enjoy its beauty and different cultures and people that live in it to the fullest.
Old 06-25-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
I have a million things to say about this subject, but all I can put into words at the moment is, be good to each other, god or no god.

Vaya con Dios
Old 06-25-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfriend
I have a million things to say about this subject, but all I can put into words at the moment is, be good to each other, god or no god.
Well said BF. This is where the Freemasons have got it worked out there is no wrong/right religion, just man who is free, just and believes in brotherly love.
to help those who need help, but only when asked.

By all means have your religion as atheisms is a religion in its self as is agnostic.

Just do not push your religion on me.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 06-25-2007

dmchose is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to dmchose Send a message via Skype™ to dmchose
Cool

Thank you Missionary
As a fundamentalist, I appreciate what Missionary has said. To those whom he may have struck a raw nerve with, our sympathy goes to you, wanted or not. Please understand. The followers of the "Teachings of Christ" are commanded to tell all who are willing or "have a open ear" to do so. It is also known and accepted by all followers of our faith that our time on Earth could very well end due to actions of non believers.11 of the original 12 met fates unpleasant,as well as dozens per day due to being followers of the Christian Faith. That is OK because we believe that our real home is not here on Earth but with the heavenly Father. The vehemence posted by a few here in the thread is sadly expected.
So, if you want to hear what I or Missionary have to say or have questions pending about "our faith" then we will be honored and blessed to help within the best of our ability. If not, then we will fellowship in other thread areas that we have in common, with joy.
Masonic members who hold true to the obligations, understand this regardless whom their deity has hold of their heart.
Please note that the topic of this thread is " Sharing your faith while cruising " . It was not " Slam those who share their faith while cruising " . I like a cutter/ scutter rig though I look forward to learn how to sail a ketch one day. I seriously doubt if I posted a new thread " How to balance a cutter " most of the esteemed members of this Forum would refrain from " Why are you such an idiot sailing such a rig when only a sloop has the rights to the oceans we sail", or something to that effect.
With Love to all mankind:
Don
Old 06-25-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
I just think you guys picked the wrong forum.
Trying to talk religion to a bunch of Rum Drinking Sailors was your mistake.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 06-25-2007

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Goslings? My god, Mitch...now THAT is blasphemy!

Mt. Gay all the time :-))

For those interested and with minds open enough to explore why religion is getting such a hard time -- here and elsewhere -- I can recommend Sam Harris' little tome, "Letter to a Christian Nation". Quick easy reading, but you better have the antacids handy :-)

Bill
Old 06-25-2007

dmchose is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to dmchose Send a message via Skype™ to dmchose
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1
I just think you guys picked the wrong forum.
Trying to talk religion to a bunch of Rum Drinking Sailors was your mistake.
Hey now.. I am a Rum drinking sailor..well ...this weekend I did splurg for a bottle of Patron. If you drink with me on my tab, you drink the best or whatzzz left.