Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2007
1994 Catalina 270

Trescool is on a distinguished road
Point Pleasant, NJ to Tullytown, PA -Amt of time??

I will be (hopefully) sailing a Catalina 270 from Point Pleasant, NJ to Tullytown, PA. Intercoastal Waterway through NJ, around Cape May and then up the Delaware River. It is about 142 nautical miles.

The engine is a 3 cylinder Perkins diesel (11HP?).

What can I expect for the amount of time this will take?

Thanks!
Tres
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It depends on the amount of crew you have, whether you will be stopping for the night or not, and the tidal currents.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-07-2007
1994 Catalina 270

Trescool is on a distinguished road
I don't know about tidal currents but it would be with a crew of two as quickly as possible with limited overnights.
Old 07-07-2007

mgiguere is on a distinguished road
If you catch the weather right, I've had some nice overnight sails outside this channel (NY to Cape May). Alot simpler navigation and less hassle with bridges, etc.

Moe
Old 07-07-2007

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
I think you are looking at 30 hours sailing time.

Dennis

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 07-07-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I agree with Denby...save time by cutting in at Cape May and going out the back canal if your mast is less than 55 ft.
Old 07-07-2007

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Thanks Cam,
At lees you agree with me, my wife doesn't. Come to think of it she never agrees with me, Most be a wife thing.

Dennis

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 07-18-2007

mpulaski is on a distinguished road
NJ Coast to Delaware River

Tres,
We are planning a similar trip in the next few weeks. We are sailing/motoring an Irwin 34 from Brick NJ to Riverside NJ (also on the delaware river).

What is your clearance requirement. We're about 46 ft and we'll need to go outside. We'll most likely go outside at barnegat inlet to Atlantic City day 1, then AC to Cape May day 2 followed by a trip up the Delaware Bay (with a flood tide).

I believe their are a few fixed bridges at 35 feet which may also cause you to go outside.

Depending upon schedule you may wish to do the trip at the same time. Drop me a line if you finalize on your schedule.

Good Luck,
Mike
Old 07-18-2007

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
If you plan on going outside at Cape May, I would suggest making your first stop at Lewis DE while waiting for the tide and wind in your favor. Then non-stop, or stop midway at Delaware City DE to time the tide for the river.
Old 07-18-2007

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpulaski
Tres,We're about 46 ft and we'll need to go outside. We'll most likely go outside at barnegat inlet to Atlantic City day 1, then AC to Cape May day 2 followed by a trip up the Delaware Bay (with a flood tide).
I motorsailed averaging 5.5-6kts. from at a dock in a marina inside Cape May to being anchored around back of the lighthouse at Barnegat Inlet in the daylight hours in September easily (don't remember the exact times). Just for reference ... if Point A to Point B is your goal. If for the Joy of Sailing or some sightseeing then it can become a whole different ball game..... sail the extra 20 miles around Cape May... whatever.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI