Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2007

kptmorgan04 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to kptmorgan04
Tentative NJ to MA Cruise - Suggestions Wanted

This is what I have worked up for my cruise from Cape May to the Boston area, leaving in a little over a week. I would appreciate any suggestions you guys might have on tips or local knowledge of the areas I will be going and if my timelines seem accurate (weather pending obviously). Also if anyone has any suggestions on a potential mooring in MA Bay area to leave my boat for a month starting Aug 12, there will be someone on and off the boat throughout the month.

July 23: leave for NYC at crack of dawn from either Cape May or Atlantic City.

July 24: Arrive NYC in the afternoon.

July 26: Depart NYC for Block Island or Newport mid-afternoon. Will decide on going Long Island Sound or South of Long Island based on weather forecast.

July 27-29: Get to Block Island or Newport when we get there. My biggest concern is getting to Block Island after dark on the weekend and anchoring in a new/crowded place for the first time, so we may go straight to Newport on Friday and then leave early Saturday morning for Block Island.

July 30: Depart Block Island and get to Newport in afternoon.

July 31: Depart Newport for the Vineyard. Reprovision and any repairs done Newport.

Aug 1: Arrive Vineyard in the afternoon. Spend weekend around Vineyard, cruising local islands etc.

Aug 5 or 6th: leave for Nantucket, stay in nantucket the 6th.

Aug 7th: Depart for cruise to Boston. Any major reason or what should go into my deciscion making on either going around the Cape to going through the Cape Cod Canal?

Aug 10: Arrive Boston or wherever we have picked for the Marabelle to stay.

Aug 11: Get Marabelle Ann to her home for the next month.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. This will be my first big cruise, there will be 3 of us for the whole trip and at times a 4th will be along. I have all the cruising guides sitting at home, but they arent doing me all too much good right now because I am floating around in the Gulf of Mexico and will only be home for 3 days before departing.
Thanks!

Last edited by kptmorgan04; 07-12-2007 at 11:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-13-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Wow, what a great time you'll have...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kptmorgan04
Aug 1: Arrive Vineyard in the afternoon. Spend weekend around Vineyard, cruising local islands etc.

Aug 7th: Depart for cruise to Boston. Any major reason or what should go into my deciscion making on either going around the Cape to going through the Cape Cod Canal?

Aug 10: Arrive Boston or wherever we have picked for the Marabelle to stay.

Boy, this is my sweet spot! I meant to answer your PM a while ago, I'll do so now. Here's something to chew on meanwhile.

For all travel you want to know the currents and plan your departure times accordingly. Your travel can be twice as long or half as short depending on whether the 2-3-4 knot current is with you or agin you. Get an Elderidge's - figure out how to use the current tables.

The Cape trip you want to make, and the stops in order are:

Newport to CuttyHunk - 3-4 hours, pick up a mooring in the inner harbor and spend a night, walk the island, buy an ice cream on the dock, and some fresh seafood from the kids in the Whaler.

CuttyHunk to Vineyard Haven - 3-4 hours, call/look for the Harbormaster behind the breakwater for a inner harbor mooring when you arrive. Spend two days minimum in Vineyard Haven, beaches, sightseeing, ride a tour bus to Gay Head, see a movie, walk the town, visit Bunch of Grapes bookstore and of course breakfast at the Black Dog (and chocolate chip cookies). Very low key town.

VH to Edgartown - 2-3 hours. Pick up a rental mooring in Edgartown Harbor, they are painted yellow and blue I believe. Ask any other boater. Very high brow town. Must visit South Beach and otherwise the same agenda as VH. Spend two days minimum in Edgartown, see how the whaling captains spent their riches...

Edgartown to Nantucket - 4-5 hours. Don't go to Nantucket for less than two days, its too far coming back. Spend at least three if possible. A very, very high brow island. All the same stuff as MV but different, more expensive, but unique and wonderful, which is why the crowds are so great.

I guess you can go outside the Cape to Boston. I have to say I don't know one boater in new England who has ever done that...something about the east side of the Cape being know as the "Graveyard of the Atlantic"...I gotta give you this link Chatham, Cape Cod Shipwrecks and Maritime Disasters :: Chatham, MA ...I guess they stopped counting after the first few thousand wrecks...but YOU can...Not!

Nantucket to Woods Hole (or alternative to Hadley Harbor). 6-7 hours . Try Welcome to Woods Hole Marine and see if you can get a mooring or dock space in Ell Pond, I think the drawbridge goes up every 30 minutes. Watch the current and opposing boats, once you start in you are committed. Visit the Oceanographic Istitute. Walk around, do laundry.

Woods Hole to Hadley Harbor- the most treacherous 20 minutes on the East Coast. Pass through Woods Hole channel very, very carefully. Two weeks ago, a friend of mine who has been boating on the Cape for over 30 years, got out of the channel and bent up the running gear on his 50 footer - $10,000 mistake, so far. See Round the Cape Trip Go through at slack current if possible, it makes it easier. Have lunch and swim in Hadley, observe Naushon Island (no landing for us peons), see how the top .0001% live, watch for John Kerry.

Hadley harbor to Cataumet - 2 hours. Get a mooring from Kingman Yacht Center -- Marina, Boatyard, Cruising Center on Cape Cod or Home Page or anchor out behind Bassetts island. Enjoy dinner at the Chart Room.

Cataumet to Plymouth 4 hours (alternative if pressed for time is Scituate, 8 hours) If you have never been to Plymouth, stop there. Check with the Plymouth YC Vistor. Go see Plymouth Rock. thios trip takes you through the Cape Cod Canal, plan your trip to have a fair current.

Plymouth to Boston - 8 hours and you're there.

As to short term Boston moorings there are two places I can think of, Salem next to Marblehead Moorings and Slips in Salem Harbor and a boat yard in my South Shore town Hingham HEWITTS COVE MARINA marblehead and Salem are great areas to visit, Hingham isn't shabby,. Both have good public transit to Boston. You can also check with some YCs and see if they'll take in a transient Yacht Clubs @ Bostonboating.com. I'll ask at Hingham and Hull.

If you have the $$$ you could try slip space right in Boston at Welcome to Constitution Marina on Boston Harbor plus a few others that they could point you at.

Give us a call when you get to town.
Old 07-13-2007

wow, THANKS!!! Will be calling you next week
Old 07-13-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One thing SF forgot to mention is that the barrier beach at Chatham was breached last spring, and that is causing some serious problems in Chatham harbor and along the eastern coast of Cape Cod.... which is yet another reason to go the ditch. Be aware that the entrance to the ditch can get really fun when you have a typical Buzzards Bay SW wind blowing on the canal entrance... standing waves... etc... so time your entrance to the canal appropriately.

I'd like to hear from you as well, and maybe we can all meet up. I'll send you a PM with contact info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-13-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Cap'n...I will leave the MA portion of your voyage to the locals (g) but here are my comments on the rest of the voyage plan..
Quote:
Originally Posted by kptmorgan04

July 23: leave for NYC at crack of dawn from either Cape May or Atlantic City.
Manasquan is a good inlet if you need to duck in before turning the corner.

July 24: Arrive NYC in the afternoon.

July 26: Depart NYC for Block Island or Newport mid-afternoon. Will decide on going Long Island Sound or South of Long Island based on weather forecast.
Going along the south shore of LI is not a great idea. Time your departure based on the tidal current in the East River on the day of departure. You do NOT want to proceed with the current against you!!

July 27-29: Get to Block Island or Newport when we get there. My biggest concern is getting to Block Island after dark on the weekend and anchoring in a new/crowded place for the first time, so we may go straight to Newport on Friday and then leave early Saturday morning for Block Island.

Stop at Fishers Island anchorage if you want to time your entrance to Block Island better...you are right...arrival in the dark at Block is a mistake. Arrival on ANY weekend day in the summertime may not be a great idea as it is really crowded.

July 30: Depart Block Island and get to Newport in afternoon.

July 31: Depart Newport for the Vineyard. Reprovision and any repairs done Newport.
Cuttyhunk Harbor is nice and a good interim stop if you need one or need to time your arrival at MV for tides/currents.

Going around the Cape is something that needs CAREFUL planning and good weather. Suggest you look carefully at the charts and guides before attempting this. Cape Cod canal will be quicker too. Time your entrance with the tidal flow...the canal can be incredibly rough with the tide/wind opposing and the big powerboat wakes in a very confined space...can you say super-surgilator agitator?!
Old 07-13-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
The most important tip regarding Cuttyhunk and Vineyard Haven not mentioned - they're both dry ports. Be sure your libation cabinet is well provisioned.
Old 07-13-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue
The most important tip regarding Cuttyhunk and Vineyard Haven not mentioned - they're both dry ports. Be sure your libation cabinet is well provisioned.

This is the information that I need, and why I'm on sailnet !!

Have a safe trip, I'm jealous
Old 07-13-2007

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Just to add in some alternatives.... On our basic - daytime only - motor sail through that area we anchored at Sandy Hook, caught a good tide through Hell's Gate and anchored at Port Jefferson LI which is a quick and easy stop. We went to Watch Hill instead of Fishers next because we have a friend there but unless you want to do some shops and stretch your legs it's a little out of your way and the long narrow passage in probably isn't worth it. Keep Pt Judith Harbor of Refuge in mind if you need it - plenty of large breakwater protected anchoring if things get ugly. We have always had 5' or less draft so we have spent many nights way up inside the P.J. pond as our jump off place for cruises to the SW when our legs were shorter - another long and tight entrance (to the Pond - Not the H. Of R. which you can just drop right into).
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI

Last edited by christyleigh; 07-13-2007 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-13-2007

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Here's a guy who thinks like I do.
Old 07-14-2007

Quote:
Thanks for the concern, but not to worry. The "Marabelle Ann" is always properly stocked for this occasion.

Thank you everyone else for your great suggestions! I am breaking out the current tables as I am typing.