Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2007

johnkuchta is on a distinguished road
Shipyard in Sicily

I will be in Sicily this September and would like to have some hull and deck prep and painting done. Does anyone know of a good shipyard between Rome and Sicily?

Thanks,
John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
John, I think you're better off sailing south a few more miles, a day will be enough and travel to Malta, just south of Sicilia.

In this pictoresce island, where time seems to have stopped in 1958, you can find very modern shipyards that will be alot cheaper than Italian ones, with very good conditions and variety, less "BS" and "corruption" as you will find in Italy, and they will accept your US dollars and Euros.

There are yards a little all over, but I'd recommend the 2 ones in Manoel Island, the one in Marsa, and there is a smaller one off Valetta that is also very popular. If you do a serach on the net for that you might find them. One plus, Malta national language is English and Maltese, so if you are of english language you should have that problem solved, also.

Good luck. By the way Malta is absolutely gorgeous and marvelous. Make sure you vist Blue Groto and the blue water beaches around Gozo.

Avoid Sicilia for the work, wonderfull Island, wonderfull people, except "hurry" is not in their dictionary...
Old 07-15-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
My late father, who was a British merchant seaman during and after World War II, said that even bombed out and shot up, Malta had better refitting and repair ports than anywhere in the Med but Gibraltar. There's a Maltese community in Toronto, and those Maltese I've met have really impressed me in terms of honesty and politeness.

The Italians, not so much.

Hey, Alex...do you need crew from Vilamoura to Valetta?
Old 07-15-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente

Hey, Alex...do you need crew from Vilamoura to Valetta?
If it is a go, yes....but I am still budgeting it. 10 crew plus 3 ground support, well you know, not a cheap venture...You're in if we go!!
Old 07-15-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Giu-

Are you doing the Middle Sea Race???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-15-2007
Re Member

knotaloud is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta
By the way Malta is absolutely gorgeous and marvelous. Make sure you vist Blue Groto and the blue water beaches around Gozo.
Malta is the best place ever. My favorite beach is at Ghar Lapsi, near the Reverse Osmosis Plant, the whole area is loaded with caves. Spelunking in Malta, rocks.

The RO Plant:

Edit: Whoa, sorry about the gigantic picture, but doesn't the water look inviting?

Edit#2: See all those blue fiberglass pipes laying around the factory? I made them. Well prbly not those exact pieces, but I had a summer job once grinding welds on the aluminum framework that the fiberglass is wrapped around. The pipes are 36" in diameter and handle something like 20,000 psi. Each flange is bolted together with approx 50, 2" diameter bolts. Okay, I''m done.

Last edited by knotaloud; 07-15-2007 at 09:53 PM.