Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2007
1994 Catalina 270

Trescool is on a distinguished road
Anchorages in Delaware River north of Cape May

I'm still in the works trying to figure our my timeframe of taking my new Catalina 270 from Bay Head, NJ to Tullytown, PA.

Possible anchorages so far for this trip:
Atlantic City
Cape May

I still need to figure out relatively easy and safe places along the Delaware River north of Cape May. Tides are a challenge I hear and I need to plan accordingly.

What experiences has anyone had of the anchorages along the Del. River?

Thanks!
Tres
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Tres,
I've not anchored there but was forced to run up the Cohancey? river once because of bad weather. I may have the spelling wrong but it is south of Salem and was well protected with a marina a few miles up. That was long ago so maybe someone can weigh in on what that river is like now.
Tom Shannon
Old 07-17-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Are you planning on taking the Cape May Canal ? Be sure to check your mast height. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any place to anchor off of Cape May or Atlantic city. There are a bunch of places to rent a slip for the night .... Have a safe trip.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-17-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
North of Cape May, is the Delaware Bay (not river) for several miles. It is very wide (around the size of a Great Lake)and open to the weather. It is shallow along a lot of the coast line with marinas and or ports far and few between. I've spent a couple years on it, although no under sail. Do some research (via Goggle) and be very knowledgable before transitting the bay.
Old 07-17-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
mast height for the Cape May Canal is 55 feet so no worries on a Cat27.
I would just plan on getting underway at dawn and making the 75 miles to the C&D canal in one long day. You will be best staying to the shallows when the current is against you and going deep when you have a following tide.
Suggest leaving with the tide slack and about to turn against you if possible and then you will get more lift in the narrower sections of the bay up north after your first 6 hours.
Old 07-17-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

In 1969 I lived on Delaware Bay here:
Old 07-17-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

That is Miah Mual Light Staion
Old 07-17-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Nice front porch!
Tom Shannon
Old 07-17-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Trescool,
Its a good 8 to 10 hours from the C&D canal to Riverside NJ. Dredge Harbor is in Riverside, and there are a few marinas in there that take transients. I brought my boat down to the Chesapeake from Riverside Marina. The tide in the Delaware is pretty strong,so plan to go with the tide. When I came down going with the tide ment waiting till noon, so depending when you make the trip you may have to travel some at night, or early morning when its still dark. If you haven't been out at night before be prepared.

Good Luck
Old 07-17-2007

RichH will become famous soon enough
Anchoring on the Del Bay

The Maurice River is the first available anchorage going north from Cape May. It is way off the beaten track, drains vast swamps, is narrow, and is a 'biting-fly/bug' paradise.
Next up is the Cohansey ... either the River itself or the Cohansey Cove just south of the Salem Nuclear Power Plant.
Other than that there are NO anchorages on the Del. Bay .... although sometimes I simply feel my way towards a shore and anchor ON the bay (bahamian moor because of the current/tides) far away from the ship channel when the weather is very good.

Strong thunderstorms on the Del Bay are 'traditional' and NOAA has the habit of forecasting them only once they are over. Just look to the Delaware shore and if you see large 'thunderheads' or convecting clouds 'growing', begin to head closer to a shore no matter what NOAA is broadcasting.

The Delaware Bay is the focus of all biting flies on this planet. If the winds are light expect to be eaten alive by green-heads, biting house flies, black flies, horse-flies, gnats, no-seeums, etc. etc. etc. ... and then the pidgeon sized mosquitos will get ya after dark. If the winds are low/absent be sure to bring along some Noxema Skin Cream (Blue Jar) and simply lather up with a 'paste' of Noxema to keep the biting-flies from 'sucking away ALL your blood'..... and thats the reason why the Delaware Bay area has no marinas, no people, no houses crowded next to one another along the shoreline .... and it still remains a wonderful 'wildnerness'.

Plan on leaving Cape May about two hours before low tide so that the tidal 'wave' will flush you most of the way up the bay/river. Dont go 'up' the Del. Bay if a strong Nor'wester is forecast (nor a strong Sou'easter) as you dont want to be in the Del. Bay with an adverse tide and a strong wind from the NW or SE which ----- will develop some seriously large 'trochoidal wave chop'. If at night contact the 'commercial' traffic in the channel on Ch13 ... and let them know where you are and that you're outside of the channel, etc. That radio contact will be well appreciated. Watch out for the unlighted buoys on the Jersey side near the nuclear plant ... they are very hard to see at night in contrast to the bright lights of the plant.

Have a good trip.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.