Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2007

punjabi is on a distinguished road
Brand New Here...Couple Dumb Questions

First, hello all. I've been lurking around and SailNet seems like the best forum around. I don't currently own a boat, but my wife and I are going to take lessons and do a few charters to see what we like before purchasing. That said, I'm partial to a Catalina 30 based on what I've read. We live in So Cal and will probably be trying to find a slip in Long Beach.

Anyhow, as I begin to dream about my future adventures, I keep coming back to a few unkowns that I haven't been able to find definitive answers on through searching.

1. As I'm out tooling around So Cal or maybe Catalina Island and I decide I'm tired and want to go to bed for the night, where do I anchor? Can I just drop anchor in any shallow enough area and get 8 hours of sleep (and is this something that is done frequently by cruisers), or are there laws / rules / practical considerations I need to consider? I'm sure there are. I imagine the rules for some deserted coastal area of Catalina are different than those from the mainland. Do I have to worry about my boat drifting from its anchorage and getting bashed on some rocks? The reason I ask is that I'm the type of person that likes to wander and keep things casual. I like the idea of stopping in some secluded area and cracking a few cold ones while the sun sets and then getting some shut-eye.

2. I like to tinker and do as much work on my own property as possible. I'm very mechanically inclined and maintain my own truck and motorcycle. I know that a lot of work can be done on the boat while it is in the water, but if I want to do some work that requires that it be dry, are there boat yards that will hoist me out of the water and let me pull my truck in with all my tools and do my own work?

3. How often should a boat be pulled from the water (Assuming So Cal and a 20 year old Catalina 30 for example) to have the bottom painted (or whatever else needs to be done)? Roughly, what does that cost?

I know that these are complete newbie questions that may have been asked a thousand times before, but please humor me and I promise that as I learn more I will become a useful contributor.

Thanks All!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by punjabi
1. As I'm out tooling around So Cal or maybe Catalina Island and I decide I'm tired and want to go to bed for the night, where do I anchor? Can I just drop anchor in any shallow enough area and get 8 hours of sleep (and is this something that is done frequently by cruisers), or are there laws / rules / practical considerations I need to consider? I'm sure there are. I imagine the rules for some deserted coastal area of Catalina are different than those from the mainland. Do I have to worry about my boat drifting from its anchorage and getting bashed on some rocks? The reason I ask is that I'm the type of person that likes to wander and keep things casual. I like the idea of stopping in some secluded area and cracking a few cold ones while the sun sets and then getting some shut-eye.
Basically, yes, you find a sheltered cove or bay that is shallow enough...drop the anchor, set it...put out enough scope... sleep...

You do have to worry about dragging... but proper selection of the anchorage, properly-sized ground tackle and proper anchor setting techniques can minimize that risk.

Quote:
2. I like to tinker and do as much work on my own property as possible. I'm very mechanically inclined and maintain my own truck and motorcycle. I know that a lot of work can be done on the boat while it is in the water, but if I want to do some work that requires that it be dry, are there boat yards that will hoist me out of the water and let me pull my truck in with all my tools and do my own work?
Yes, there are DIY boatyards, but these are becoming fewer and fewer every year. The EPA is making life more difficult for DIY boatyards, and marine services is becoming a big part of their income stream, so the DIY yards are disappearing. I am fortunate that the marina I'm in is one.

Quote:
3. How often should a boat be pulled from the water (Assuming So Cal and a 20 year old Catalina 30 for example) to have the bottom painted (or whatever else needs to be done)? Roughly, what does that cost?
At least once a year, to have the bottom inspected/cleaned/painted, zincs replaced, etc. Don't know what the costs are for a boat in that area.

Any particular reason that you've picked the Catalina 30??? Whether it is the right boat for you really depends on what kind of sailing you intend to do. They do have a lot of advantages.... a strong owner's association, the company is still in business, there were a lot of them made...etc.... so it isn't necessarily a bad choice..... I was just curious.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-18-2007
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
Catalina 30 is a nice boat. DIY work depends on the marina. If it's just a quick job, they might let you work on the boat while it's in the slings. Anything longer and you'll need to have it on stands.
Old 07-18-2007

Sailingdog,

Thanks for the quick and thorough response. Your answers have me even more amped up to get started.

I'm leaning toward the Catalina based on what I've read so far. I understand that due to the beam, it has a rather spacious cabin for its length. It also seems to be one of the more reasonably priced used boats, maybe due to the quantity available (supply / demand)? Like I said, I'm going to try to charter a couple of different boats in my desired size (around 30') and see what I like and don't like. I'll also just be a pain-in-the-neck lookie-loo at as many boats that I see for sale as I can. The only criteria that I have right now is that it sleep four adults comfortably and be outfitted for up to a week of self-sufficient cruising as I would like to be able to take another couple with us to Baja at some point.

Thanks again!
Old 07-18-2007

Also,

I'm looking for a boat that stays above the water (I think afloat is the term).

But seriously, I see myself as being a slow cruiser with lots of sitting in secluded coves with a book or guitar in my lap and some sipping whiskey.
Old 07-18-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotun
Catalina 30 is a nice boat. DIY work depends on the marina. If it's just a quick job, they might let you work on the boat while it's in the slings. Anything longer and you'll need to have it on stands.
Jotun,

Where in Delaware are you? I went to undergrad and U of D and used to hang out at a crab place that was kind of up a river / bay area (maybe in MD) and folks used to dock their boats up there and have some food. I can't remember the name now.
Old 07-18-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Punjabi..welcome aboard. Sounds like you have modest goals for cruising coastally and the Cat30 is an excellent choice...but there are others as well and my advice would be not to lock in on a particular brand just yet but to figure out a budget and then go look at the different boat in your price range that are in your neighborhood. IMHO...condition of the boat will be more important than the brand/model to you.
Also...based on what i've read here about you area...you might want to try to find a slip before you get a boat.
Here's some god Catalina anchor/mooring info & stuff:
Sailors Choice Catalina Island Mooring Information
Old 07-18-2007

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
the Cat30 is an excellent choice.Here's some god Catalina anchor/mooring info & stuff:
Gee... Cam... I knew you appreciated Catlinas but 'god Catalina'.... That's even more than I would expect from the CD or even myself Beware the creative editing and taking things out of context Although I actually do consider Frank Butler the god of good small cruisers for the average guy....
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 07-18-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
Punjabi..welcome aboard. Sounds like you have modest goals for cruising coastally and the Cat30 is an excellent choice...but there are others as well and my advice would be not to lock in on a particular brand just yet but to figure out a budget and then go look at the different boat in your price range that are in your neighborhood. IMHO...condition of the boat will be more important than the brand/model to you.
Also...based on what i've read here about you area...you might want to try to find a slip before you get a boat.
Here's some god Catalina anchor/mooring info & stuff:
Sailors Choice Catalina Island Mooring Information
I think you're right on on the slip priority. In fact, I'm going to make some calls today. I've also seen a few boats for sale that say slip is transferable upon good credit. Sounds like a sublease, but might be an easy way to go.

I guess another criterion on my boat selection is availability of after-market / replacement parts. I'm assuming that the boats with greater production numbers probably have better selection in that area as well. But again, as someone who is just getting my feet wet so to speak, I really don't know.

Thanks everyone!
Old 07-18-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would also recommend you sail on as many boats as possible, by crewing, daysailing, chartering, etc... since that will give you a much better idea of what you like/dislike about a boat, the deck and cockpit layout, and the cabin layout. Seeing a boat sitting at the dock is only going to give you a limited idea of how the boat is going to work IMHO.

Cam's got a good point about the slips... getting a boat and then not having anywhere to keep it would be bad...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.