Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2007

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
There is no apples to apples comparison available. I've been looking for several years.

Trawlers can be broken down into two groups; semi displacement hulls and full displacement hulls. The semi hull is grand banks or marine trader and the full hulls are the krogens & nordhavns. The full disp hull will get double the economy of the semi BUT you'll have a much more lively roll in beam seas. The full can be taken offshore more readily. The semi is more stable in coastal waters and hence generally more comfortable. So, in a 36' to 42' trawler you are looking at 2mpg for the semi & 4mpg for the full. A 42' to 46' sailboat will get around 6mpg motoring and with the ballast, won't roll nearly as much as a full disp trawler. Smaller sailboats (mid 30's) can do much better, up to 12mpg.
Now to sails...if you reef early or just motor upwind and in strong winds, your sails will last a long time. If you work your sails hard they won't. How hard is hard? That's the toughest part to analyze and I haven't found any good measure of "mpg" for a set of sails & rigging. Anybody have some numbers for miles sailed in a coastal cruiser and an offshore cruiser?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Xort,

Typo: The full displacements get better fuel mileage. The semis get worse. THe semi is faster, and more stable to a point, depending on whether soft chimed, etc. Also, most people put stabilizers (passive or active) on their full displacement to stop the roll - or reduce it.

THis is a beautiful boat:

Here is another Nord rigged with sails... (kinda funky looking)...

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-20-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
BTW, XOrt, here is another very kool boat to add to your semi-disp... I actually put an offer down on one of these... Nice boats, a little unknown...

http://www.albinboat.com/

Albin 43 (sundeck). The sundeck adds a huge amount of space to these puppies.

Take a look and let me know what you think!!

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-21-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
I think that you need to like the actual sailing to enjoy a sailboat. It is definitely cheaper to buy and run a sailboat, but there is a lot more work involved in sailing than in powering.

Me - I could care less where I end up as long as there is somewhere to buy food and beer - it's the getting there that makes me do it.

If you are looking for a comfortable retirement home, get a big powerboat and mosey along somewhere new every six months or so. If you are looking a communion with the wind, the waves and your inner self, get a sailboat.
Old 07-21-2007

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Depends what kind of sailor you are too. When I first started sailing I could never figure out how other sailboats could go so much faster than I was going with the same basic sail configuration. Then one day I was out on the bay and was sitting quietly just enjoying the wind and I started listening to all the sailboats going by, and that's when I figured it out. There are a huge number of "sailors" out there who run their engine all the damn time, or at least whenever the wind isn't strong enough to get them to their destination at hull speed. I think some "sailors" just raise sails for show, and I'm sure motoring your sailboat around uses a lot of fuel.
Old 07-21-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
For me, as a cruising liveaboard, I find I do much more motoring than I had anticipated. Particularly, since everywhere I seem to go, it's dead into the wind. There is though, running the motor for battery charging (motor-sailing if the wind cooperates), having to reach an anchorage or marina, or having to navigate a narrow channel. Running the ICW will definitely result in a lot of motor hours, there's just no way around it.

That said, there's still those great days when you can raise the sails and get where you want to go, that make up for the motoring. Not to mention, if something does go wrong with the engine, you still have sails.

If all I was going to do was go up and down the ICW .... and could afford the fuel, I'd have a trawler. As CD points out, much more space, and the knot or two in speed, does make a difference. As it is though, I just try to stay offshore as much as possible, where the chances for sailing are much better.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 07-21-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It really depends a lot on how and where you sail. The Chesapeake has light and fluky winds a lot of the time... Buzzards Bay does not... If you're tranisiting the ICW a lot, then motoring will be a common thing for you, but if you're on the open seas, sailing the trade wind routes... properly planned, you can minimize motoring. How else could the Pardeys and others without an engine have so many miles pass under their keels.

PBz-

That's because you have offended the weather gods... or haven't consulted the pilot charts closely enough.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-21-2007

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
CC
I don't see a typo? What you said is what I said.
The Albin is another good example of semi disp, I only chose 2 for brevity.
The stabilizers will cost you at least a half know of speed and a fair amount of fuel consumption.

John
Your Ontario 32 must get at least 10 to 15 mpg. Significantly better than even a smaller trawler.

I gave up on trawlers when fuel went to $2.50. I'll be buying a bigger LOA to get similar space and pay for that when I haul, dock, paint. The biggest negative is that I'll have a draft of 5'6" and for the ICW, Cheasapeake & Bahamas that's limiting vs. a 3' 6" draft. The next biggest limit is the mast which will have a hard time going up the Erie canal with 17' air draft! So I'll have more expenses of unstepping & restepping.

I know a guy that took an old Morgan and cut the mast down to only use it as a derrick & cut 2' off the keel and built a very economical 'trawler'. I'm not up for that. I wonder when one of the sailboat manufacturers will try something like that? When fuel gets to $5/gallon & a lot of old sailors don't want to mess with sails & rigging anymore...
Old 07-21-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Quote "I actually put an offer down on one of these" Quote

CD
Whats the go, have you stopped taking your meds again, a motor boat, a very big motor boat, are you mad or did you win the lottery (again).

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 07-21-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
OHHHH My!!!! Jaysus, Mary, and Joseph, the Saints and Our Lady Of Fatima!!!!!!!! (All together at least 4 times)........

SOMEONE PLEASE CALL AN EXORCIST.......QUICK......BEFORE CD'S HEAD STARTS SPINNING AROUND AND HE VOMITS GREEN STUFF ALL OVER HIS BED ROOM.....CD DROP THE CRUXIFIX NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CD its going to be alright, Father Jones is on his way......