Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2007

timangiel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormann View Post
I think that you need to like the actual sailing to enjoy a sailboat. It is definitely cheaper to buy and run a sailboat, but there is a lot more work involved in sailing than in powering.

Think about this one honestly. I've seen people switch from sail to power as they got older because of this. Also power boats usually have shallower drafts and with no mast overhead clearance is not a problem allowing you to go places you may not be able to go in a sailboat.

Whatever you ultimately decide to do I wish you the best of luck, fair seas, and good health.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2007
Summer Storm

guajiro is on a distinguished road
IMO, if you're not a sailor and lust after the passage itself and not only the destination you wouldn't get along too well with a sailboat. There is a certain magic about sailing, and for me if that wasn't there I would never consider a sailboat. For the most part they are slow, cumbersome, and again IMO I think sailors down here (Florida) motor for too often especially when there is beneficial breeze. Inasmuch, I would suggest sticking with the power squadron and try to make it happen financially.
Old 07-21-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
My brother is a professional captain and does motor yacht deliveries and the occasional vacation skipper job (also motor yachts). He loves his job, but when he talks about it the things he likes most are walkthroughs on new boats and being at the destination on the vacation jobs, not driving the boat. He really likes the vacation jobs; those are typically a situation where the boat owner pretty much knows what he is doing, but wants a pro along to do the bigger crossings and then puts my brother and his wife in a shore hotel for a few days while the family plays and goes gunkholing in each port. But the boat driving is like long haul truck driving. OTOH, I have never been on the same tack for hours on end (yet); I imagine that gets kind of old also.
Old 07-22-2007

tomaz_423 will become famous soon enough
There is a nice comparison from the Dashews - the folks who sailed a lot and changed now to power.
It does not apply directly to most of us (not many of us have boats in 70 to 80 foot range), but the discussion may still be a valid one if we scale down.
They claim power costs less (including fuel, oil, filters and overhauls...) than sails (but they had good sails).
http://www.setsail.com/dashew/Operating_Costs.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beneteau Oceanis 473

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

full time cruising
Old 07-22-2007

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
Tomaz, the Dashews go to great lengths in that artical to explain how much fuel cost them, but only say "Bottom line, this is still significantly less costly than what we lived with under sail." with no explaination for that claim. It sounds to me that they are trying to convince themselves. They sure did nothing to make me believe their claim.
Old 07-22-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Looks like CD finally showed a photo of his real boat..

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-22-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Looks like CD finally showed a photo of his real boat..

Where is the Bbg Grill ?
Old 07-22-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaz_423 View Post
There is a nice comparison from the Dashews - the folks who sailed a lot and changed now to power.
It does not apply directly to most of us (not many of us have boats in 70 to 80 foot range), but the discussion may still be a valid one if we scale down.
They claim power costs less (including fuel, oil, filters and overhauls...) than sails (but they had good sails).
http://www.setsail.com/dashew/Operating_Costs.html
One point about the Dashew's Wind Horse is that she was specifically designed to be fuel efficient with an easily driven hull and a relatively low cruising speed.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 07-22-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99 View Post
Where is the Bbg Grill ?
They're hidden behind the pilothouse.... he was hoping that we wouldn't figure it out if we couldn't see the six bbq grills in the photo.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-22-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
BTW, XOrt, here is another very kool boat to add to your semi-disp... I actually put an offer down on one of these... Nice boats, a little unknown...

http://www.albinboat.com/

Albin 43 (sundeck). The sundeck adds a huge amount of space to these puppies.

Take a look and let me know what you think!!

- CD
CD,
You've got poor old Alex foaming at the mouth and threatening excommunication at best, burning at the stake being his preferred option.

Me, I can see where you are coming from. I can see a time when I'd go stink boat but it would be used more as a house boat than anything else. To actually travel long distances in one is another thing altogether. Not for me that's for sure. Probably go motor sailor before that but the ability to get under low bridges and up shallow(ish) creeks has appeal.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.