Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Great Neptune, that thing makes my barge look like an America's Cup entry.

It reminds me of the battleships of the 1860s, when they'd gone to steel, steam and turrets, but had more or less a full sailing rig "just in case".
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
HAHAHA,

Oh, Alex, I have not bought one of these! You are sooo funny. Still, with the exception of the sailing Nord which looks a bit funky, they are awesome boats. Nordhavn just came out with another motorsailor, but I have never been on one or seen it in person - just pictures.

Remember, dear sailors, that Nordhavn, aka Pacific Asian Enterprises, got their start from:

MASON'S! YES, THEY ARE THE ONES THAT BUILT THE MASONS - Which I regard as one of my alltime favorite sailboats. If I am not mistaken, ole Jimmy Buffett bought one of these too!

www.nordhavn.com

They are for the right person... and I think they are cool, but probably not for me right now.

- CD

PS Mr Giu, are you not at the boat? I have not heard about the last package I sent you. It was a very large package filled with pictures of a Nordhavn 47, all the trimmings, lots of room for comfortable cruising, kids, toys, a washer/dryer, king sized bed, maybe even a bathtub. Hmm, I sure hope Mrs. Giu doesn't open it first. They do ship Nord's to Portugal. (HEHEHEHEHEHE..... I bet Giu cuts his business trip short, because in the back of his mind, he is wondering if I am serious, or kidding).

A long discussion awaits you back home, my friend.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-25-2007
Quit calling me a member

morganmike is on a distinguished road
This argument gets twisted so many ways depending on the prejuidiced opinions of whoever is holding forth. It's always funny when people start linking to the Dashews and the Nordhaven home page (which, it seems, is inevitable ... just check the historic threads if you don't believe me.)

In reality, where I presume most of us are forced to live, the discussion doesn't really include 150K+ boats, since 85% of the people I know with boats don't have those kinds of means. Most people own some sort of mid-range production boat in the 25 to 40 foot range, be they either power or sail. Walk down your average dock looking at average boats - and don't tell me these aren't included in the discussion. Talk about what we have, not what we'd like to have in some v-berth wet dream. We live and cruise on what we can. For most average guys bebopping around the sound in the summers for weeks or a month, it's some kind of mid-size cabin cruiser (Sea Ray/Chris Craft/Egg Harbor etc.) or some kind of mid-size sailboat (Catalina/O'Day/Pearson etc.). Average boats. And yes, I know there are many of these power boats worth around 150K or more on paper, but many of the guys I know with nice, big, expensive boats came by them cheap - as they were available for a song from owners who were sick of $1000 gas-ups. And now the new owners are having the same problems.

If you consider the discussion under that criteria, sailing obviously wins cost wise, hands down. Yes, sailing has a lot of gear, but on the average mid-size boat, that gear is neither heinously expensive, nor hard to maintain. A suite of sails is comparable to the cost of an engine, and the service life is similar. Foot for foot up to about 32 feet, a sailboat is roomier than a power boat. Above 32 feet or so, the balance tips in the other direction as a large interior cabin becomes possible on the power boat. The power boat has speed but the sailboat brings the costs of long distance travel within reach of the average guy. Looking at the guys around me, I see lots of tiny outboard driven powerboats out fishing, lots of cabin cruisers going nowhere fast due to ever rising fuel costs, and planty of sailboats being used as both daysailors and liveaboards. Very few people chose to live aboard a power boat in the "average" size range, unless they've got lots of money. That, to me, says it all. Another bit of empirical evidence that speaks to the inexpensiveness of sail is that I've seem several guys on the river give up their sport-fishermen to fish from sailboats.