Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2007

geertvanderkolk is on a distinguished road
Sailing Haiti

I recently returned from a pretty exciting cruise to Haiti and Cuba. I hope to go back to Haiti next year, and would like to get in touch with other sailors who have an interest in that fascinating country. Some pictures and stories from our cruise are online:

http://web.mac.com/geertvanderkolk/i...ba_photos.html

Thanks!

Geert van der Kolk
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2007
Siren 17

danjarch will become famous soon enough
Nice pics. Sounds like you guys had a wonderful time.
!! WARNING !! The above information is to be used by intelligent people only. If you are Stupid, could be considered a moron, or otherwise. You are instructed to disregard this information and seek the help of a licensed and bonded professional.
Old 07-20-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I will self edit, per Hyperion, and only say this:

If you go to Cuba and you are an American, and they catch you or suspect you, you can likely kiss your boat and money goodbye.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-20-2007
Scourge of Howe Sound

Hyperion is on a distinguished road
CD - I appreciate the level-headedness to often bring to a thread which, for no reason other than being on SailNet, begins to spiral into the abyss... I've got to say, though, notwithstanding your disclaimer in your PostScript, that what was nothing more than a post by a good, Dutch fellow (I know he's good because he's Dutch - and if you aren't Dutch you aren't much), turned uber-political in a hurry.

I'd love to jump in and discuss the ironies of the "atrocities" to which you draw attention, but I'd love even more for a thread to just stay about sailing for once. Just like you, CD, honestly not an attack. Just an observation.

Dank jou, M. van der Kolk.
Old 07-20-2007
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
Nice pics, thanks for sharing. I like the bamboom setup... Giu, take note

Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Old 07-20-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Hyp,

Deleted thread

I will self-edit this post. My intentions are not to turn this thread away form what it is. I will let it be, Hyperion. But it is VERY hard for I have VERY strong opinions on this matter, enforced no doubt by living in S FLorida with many Cubans whose lives he ruined.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-20-2007
Scourge of Howe Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Hyp,

Deleted thread

I will self-edit this post. My intentions are not to turn this thread away form what it is. I will let it be, Hyperion. But it is VERY hard for I have VERY strong opinions on this matter, enforced no doubt by living in S FLorida with many Cubans whose lives he ruined.

- CD
CD,

Not saying I don't agree with you or at least understand what you're saying, and I totally respect you for choosing to keep things on-topic despite your strong feelings on the subject. See? That's that "level-headedness" I was talking about. It's a rare thing, especially here.

The "zombies" picture is enough for me to want to sail to Haiti.
Old 07-20-2007

geertvanderkolk is on a distinguished road
I am looking for feedback on Haiti

I am quite taken aback by CD's aggressive reaction. I didn't sail to Haiti and Cuba on a whim, but as a writer. My purpose is to bear witness, in my stories, of what I discovered there, good and bad, beautiful and ugly. Of course, I was also interested in the adventure, but since when do cruising sailors shy away from that? Anyway, I don't think I owe anybody an explanation, except my conscience and the law, and I'm in the clear with both of them.

This is the first time I posted on SailNet. Maybe I should start a new thread. I am very interested in feedback from sailors who have been to Haiti, or have an interest in the country.

Geert van der Kolk

http://www.geertvanderkolk.com
Old 07-20-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Great pictures, gave a real "feel" for the trip. Thanks for sharing.

Paul
Old 07-20-2007
Scourge of Howe Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertvanderkolk View Post
I am quite taken aback by CD's aggressive reaction. I didn't sail to Haiti and Cuba on a whim, but as a writer. My purpose is to bear witness, in my stories, of what I discovered there, good and bad, beautiful and ugly. Of course, I was also interested in the adventure, but since when do cruising sailors shy away from that? Anyway, I don't think I owe anybody an explanation, except my conscience and the law, and I'm in the clear with both of them.

This is the first time I posted on SailNet. Maybe I should start a new thread. I am very interested in feedback from sailors who have been to Haiti, or have an interest in the country.

Geert van der Kolk

http://www.geertvanderkolk.com
Geert,

It's a topic which is important to CD, but you'll note he removed it anyway. I'm interested in hearing about how the level of poverty struck you. It's one of the world's poorest nations; rampant levels of HIV infection... did any of this colour the experience you had? The pictures you took certainly don't betray the strife that many people there face...