SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Edgartown Moorings

7K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  devildad 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any experience in showing up in Edgartown harbor midweek during high season (July/August) without a reservation for a mooring? Can one be had?

#2 ·
edgartown

We were in Edgartown two times in the first and second weeks of July. There were blue (first come) moorings available both times and we were able to call for one of the reserved moorings on one of the visits. I think getting a cancelled reserved mooring is luck of the draw.

#3 ·
No problemoo

Does anyone have any experience in showing up in Edgartown harbor midweek during high season (July/August) without a reservation for a mooring? Can one be had?
My experience, I've never had a problem getting a mooring during the week, if you are in by mid-day you should be able to find something in the blue field (close in) later in the day you continue to the Yellow field (farther up the harbor). Arriving on a Saturday may be a different case...

FWIW same situation in Viineyard Haven vis picking up a inside versus outside mooring. Although Edgartown is a must-see we find VH a much more relaxing place...

#4 ·
My experience, I've never had a problem getting a mooring during the week, if you are in by mid-day you should be able to find something in the blue field (close in) later in the day you continue to the Yellow field (farther up the harbor). Arriving on a Saturday may be a different case...

FWIW same situation in Viineyard Haven vis picking up a inside versus outside mooring. Although Edgartown is a must-see we find VH a much more relaxing place...
I am extremely grateful to you for this helpful information. You have eased my mind quite a bit.

One last question: once you get one, is there any restriction on how long you can stay? My wife would like to stay for the better part of a week.

Thanks again.

#5 ·
We've been staying on moorings in Edgartown for the past ten July 4th weeks - but always reserved in advance. As a result, we never had to anchor out.

As was said, the blue moorings fill up first, followed by yellow, which are the reserved moorings - further from the town docks. Reservations are now done online through the Harbormaster's website. The online reservation feature is only activated in March with July 4th weekend booked within the first 15 minutes. Last year we got Yellow 78 - about as far from town as you can get, right at the entrance to Katama Bay.

Seas were rough that week and as a result, many cruisers decided not to go. Upon arrival, we noticed several blue moorings and snagged one close to the town dock . . . making for a much nicer dinghy ride to town, then where we would have been.

#7 ·
I just checked with the Mooring Reservations website and found that all mooring reservations for July and August are sold out. So, either take your chances on the Blue balls or hope for cancellations. The maximum stay with Blue is two nights however.

I've had luck without reservations by calling the Harbormaster when within range - they will assign a number if any become available.

Harbormaster's office

#9 ·
Same with me - don't know if it's a new policy or not. Last year we spent 5 nights on blue - but that could be because we had reservations on yellow, which we had requested to be transferred.

We have two rental mooring fields:

There are 50 moorings in the yellow field that can be reserved. We can accommodate vessels up to 65 feet length over all.

There are 25 moorings in the blue field. These are available on a first come/first serve basis, with a maximum stay of two nights. These moorings can accommodate vessels up to 40 feet LOA.

All moorings are served by "Old Port Launch" contact them on VHF channel 68.
In past years though, the Harbormaster assistants came by each afternoon for their money without question, even if we stayed longer than 2 nights.

#12 ·
Thanks again for all the tips. Just returned and have the following observations to add:

1. Two day rule for town moorings exists but apparently is not widely enforced, unless the harbor is unusually busy or there appears to be an inequity.

2. Town moorings are supposed to be limited to boats 40 feet and under. I heard the harbormaster tell a 42 foot boat to anchor outside rather than grab a town mooring.

#13 ·
The reason for the length limit is probably due to the size of the swinging circle of boats on the mooring... at 42' he may hit a neighboring boat while swinging...
Thanks again for all the tips. Just returned and have the following observations to add:

1. Two day rule for town moorings exists but apparently is not widely enforced, unless the harbor is unusually busy or there appears to be an inequity.

2. Town moorings are supposed to be limited to boats 40 feet and under. I heard the harbormaster tell a 42 foot boat to anchor outside rather than grab a town mooring.

#15 ·
Has anyone experienced being on an inside harbor mooring during light NW-NE winds and an ebb tide? Keelboats are affected by the strong 3-5kt currents caused by Katama Bay draining, while planing boats are kicked in opposite directions by the wind.

It's affectionately called the Edgartown Waltz.

#16 ·
Has anyone experienced being on an inside harbor mooring during light NW-NE winds and an ebb tide? Keelboats are affected by the strong 3-5kt currents caused by Katama Bay draining, while planing boats are kicked in opposite directions by the wind.

It's affectionately called the Edgartown Waltz.
I was out there three weeks ago an we had a NW wind that shifted to S by evening. It was not bad at all. We actually like to anchor in the outer harbor then try and get a ball.

We had a great three day sail from Waquoit Bay to Red Brook Harbor then Edgartown and then back to Waquiot Bay. Red Brook is a beautiful spot and we anchored to the East.

Lovely sailing out in the Cape Cod area.

Peter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.