Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2007

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Edgartown Moorings

Does anyone have any experience in showing up in Edgartown harbor midweek during high season (July/August) without a reservation for a mooring? Can one be had?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2007

toomja is on a distinguished road
edgartown

We were in Edgartown two times in the first and second weeks of July. There were blue (first come) moorings available both times and we were able to call for one of the reserved moorings on one of the visits. I think getting a cancelled reserved mooring is luck of the draw.
Old 07-23-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
No problemoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBinRI View Post
Does anyone have any experience in showing up in Edgartown harbor midweek during high season (July/August) without a reservation for a mooring? Can one be had?
My experience, I've never had a problem getting a mooring during the week, if you are in by mid-day you should be able to find something in the blue field (close in) later in the day you continue to the Yellow field (farther up the harbor). Arriving on a Saturday may be a different case...

FWIW same situation in Viineyard Haven vis picking up a inside versus outside mooring. Although Edgartown is a must-see we find VH a much more relaxing place...
Old 07-23-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
My experience, I've never had a problem getting a mooring during the week, if you are in by mid-day you should be able to find something in the blue field (close in) later in the day you continue to the Yellow field (farther up the harbor). Arriving on a Saturday may be a different case...

FWIW same situation in Viineyard Haven vis picking up a inside versus outside mooring. Although Edgartown is a must-see we find VH a much more relaxing place...
I am extremely grateful to you for this helpful information. You have eased my mind quite a bit.

One last question: once you get one, is there any restriction on how long you can stay? My wife would like to stay for the better part of a week.

Thanks again.
Old 07-23-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
We've been staying on moorings in Edgartown for the past ten July 4th weeks - but always reserved in advance. As a result, we never had to anchor out.

As was said, the blue moorings fill up first, followed by yellow, which are the reserved moorings - further from the town docks. Reservations are now done online through the Harbormaster's website. The online reservation feature is only activated in March with July 4th weekend booked within the first 15 minutes. Last year we got Yellow 78 - about as far from town as you can get, right at the entrance to Katama Bay.

Seas were rough that week and as a result, many cruisers decided not to go. Upon arrival, we noticed several blue moorings and snagged one close to the town dock . . . making for a much nicer dinghy ride to town, then where we would have been.
Old 07-23-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBinRI View Post
I am extremely grateful to you for this helpful information. You have eased my mind quite a bit.

One last question: once you get one, is there any restriction on how long you can stay? My wife would like to stay for the better part of a week.

Thanks again.
As far as an unreserved mooring that you pick up, possession is the rule, leave your dink on it if you go out sailing. Each morning watch to see who leaves and usually you can improve tyour location...I guess they could kick you off for a reservation, but I have not seen this - call and ask. I'm not familar with how the reserved moorings work...maybe TB can speak to this.
Old 07-23-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
I just checked with the Mooring Reservations website and found that all mooring reservations for July and August are sold out. So, either take your chances on the Blue balls or hope for cancellations. The maximum stay with Blue is two nights however.

I've had luck without reservations by calling the Harbormaster when within range - they will assign a number if any become available.

Harbormaster's office
Old 07-23-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
.... So, either take your chances on the Blue balls or hope for cancellations. The maximum stay with Blue is two nights however...
That's interesting news, I wonder whether or when that restriction is enforced, I've spend three -four nights there without this coming up to the best of my recollection.
Old 07-23-2007
Señor Member

Same with me - don't know if it's a new policy or not. Last year we spent 5 nights on blue - but that could be because we had reservations on yellow, which we had requested to be transferred.

Quote:
We have two rental mooring fields:

There are 50 moorings in the yellow field that can be reserved. We can accommodate vessels up to 65 feet length over all.

There are 25 moorings in the blue field. These are available on a first come/first serve basis, with a maximum stay of two nights. These moorings can accommodate vessels up to 40 feet LOA.

All moorings are served by “Old Port Launch” contact them on VHF channel 68.
In past years though, the Harbormaster assistants came by each afternoon for their money without question, even if we stayed longer than 2 nights.
Old 07-23-2007

Thank you all for the helpful tips.