Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2007

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
I would really like to visit these places. I think it's true that it is so different that maybe that is part of the reason people don't go, I don't know. I want to know all about it. For example, I got this huge picture book years ago that had temples and things in it, in and around Thailand, India, up into China, etc. Now, I'm a freak for stuff like that, I've been to a lot of Mayan ruins and want to go to Egypt and all that, been to Italy, I just love all that kind of stuff. But as much as I have read about it, I had never seen some of these beautiful temples except in that one book I have, it's like nobody who writes the books I had read had ever even known about some of these places. And I mean like hundreds, maybe thousands of sites spread all over Asia, just the most beautiful things, and even though I'm really into that kind of thing I'd never seen them in any other book, or anywhere else for that matter. And all these tiny little villages spread all over the place, thousands of little islands nobody ever goes to, food I've never eaten, I'd love to see and experience all that stuff.

Here's a great image if anyone is interested. - Earth lights

I vote we go see all that stuff.

I'm really psyched about some of these places. I think after you get through college, get a little older, it's easy to start thinking that you know what's going on in the world. You hear the news, read a few books, look around the web and that kind of thing, and words like "Indonesia" and "Cambodia" start to become sort of familiar, like you actually know something about them. Khmer Rouge, killing fields, Angkor Wat, Muslim, you know there's like these words that trigger in your brain and make you think you know something. But you know, after visiting a few places I now know that I have no idea about anything, I'm almost completely clueless when it comes to people and places around the world. I used to think I was paying attention and that I had some idea what was happening, but I don't. I mean you think you know like what Indonesia is and then you see these kind of pictures like the ones below and totally realize you need to get out more (credit: janesoceania.com). Thanks to tdw for inspiring me to read about "Irian Jaya". I want to go see some of these places. There's not just hundreds, or thousands, or even millions, but BILLIONS of people I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT. I want to go hang out with them.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Wind...don't the kids in America have tree houses???

Why go all the way around the world, where they wipe their ass to see a tree house??

And the other photo?? go to CD's and Cardiacpauls lakes...they're flooded like that!!!

Want to meet intersting people?? Come on over....I'll show you some wackos!!!

Actually...meet CD...he's nuts::::
Old 08-03-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
BEFORE GIU IN AMERICA

AFTER GIU IN AMERICA

Last edited by Giulietta; 08-03-2007 at 01:01 AM.
Old 08-03-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Wind...don't the kids in America have tree houses???

Why go all the way around the world, where they wipe their ass to see a tree house??

And the other photo?? go to CD's and Cardiacpauls lakes...they're flooded like that!!!

Want to meet intersting people?? Come on over....I'll show you some wackos!!!

Actually...meet CD...he's nuts::::

Why do you keep copying me?

Vaya con Dios
Old 08-03-2007

ahahahahahahahahahahahahah

You had me thinking...man...I gotta quit drinking now.....!!!!

ahahahahahahaha

you got me 100%!!!

Best one ever!!
Old 08-03-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
I'll change it back tomorrow, too tired now.

Vaya con Dios
Old 08-03-2007

Its an honour your'e using it where Belushi was before

Keep it there...makes me proud!!!
Old 08-03-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Magic,
While it may be difficult to get permission to visit Irian Jaya, it's not so hard with Papua New Guinea (same Island). New Guinea also has a host of offshore isalnds , in particular the Louisiades, that are well worth a visit. Within striking distance is also the Solomons, again worth seeing. Both these places have reputations for violence and lawlessness but in fact that is only the case in PNG if you go to Port Moresby, and in the Solomons if you go to Honiara and/or Malaita.
My stepfather was posted to the Solomons during WWII and he particularly fell in love with one island of the group. I am determined to send the miserable old bastard a picture of me and my boat anchored off his island before he finally carks it.
Cheers

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 08-03-2007
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
I couldnt live in a treehouse that high the way i like my Beer. I could just picture myself stumbling outside half drunk to take a leak off the porch and taking an extra step

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Old 08-03-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfriend View Post
I'll change it back tomorrow, too tired now.
i agree... best one yet. hilarious.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.