Summer Storm

Egmont Key Anchorage

Can anyone recommend a good holding spot off of Egmont? Thanks. gh
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-06-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

Inshore (east side), any where near the center. That's where everyone was when I was there. There's a lighthouse on the north end, and a dock near the midpoint. Believe there's some day marks off of shore as well.

John
Ontario 32 - Aria

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-06-2007

I wouldn't stay overnight there.

Egmont Key appears protected on the inside, but nasty storms can leave you unprotected on the eastern side (Tampa Bay side). We knew that when we hobbled into the bay with a dead battery and no engine at dusk one night and Egmont was our only option. As luck would have it a thunderstorm from the East just about beached us - no sleep that night! It's a pretty island though...

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things y%^&*.....oh never mind. 90% of the people on sailing forums already use that as their signature! I'm not a conformist.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-06-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

I'd have to concur with the lack of protection from the East. It IS, wide open to the Bay.

John
Ontario 32 - Aria

JCP

- Website & Blog

post #5 of 7 Old 08-06-2007 Thread Starter
Summer Storm

Thank you very much for the replies; I live in Tampa Bay but have yet to sail to Egmont and was planning to do so this weekend for the Meteor Shower Sunday night. I have a beachable vessel but as you probably know it is prohibited to do so. After your comments I'm seriously re-thinking it.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-06-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

Just check the weather, and on the VHF during the day.

John
Ontario 32 - Aria

JCP

- Website & Blog

post #7 of 7 Old 08-14-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by guajiro View Post
Can anyone recommend a good holding spot off of Egmont? Thanks. gh
Guajiro, did you make it to Egmont? Like most of the above posts, best anchorage is east side, south end, as close to the south end as possible. On the weekends, just look for all the gleaming fiberglass and tanned hard bodies. Probably any day the weather is good. Two anchors worked best for me, bow and stern. Find a good place and you can just about step off onto the beach on the southeast end. Overnight, I don't know, Wx, currents, and outbound ship wakes will keep things a bit testy. Just stay well south of the pilot dock. I worked out of that dock, WAY BACK, pilot boats, before Blackthorn, before Skyway tragedy. Been a while, but I am sure it is still a lot of fun. I have ducked in a few times in the past twenty years or so on deliveries. Brings back a lot of memories. Had many a good day, both professional and personnally on that island. Have a good and safe cruise. I don't guess Captain Rab's house is still painted red, white, and blue?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.