Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2007
Semper Gumby

GySgt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to GySgt
Ayala Cove SF

Ok at the end of Sept I will be able to check out the 29 footers from my club and sail to Angel Island. What is the best time to get there to get a slip, and how hard is it to dock there for a newbie. I heard there are some wild currents there.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
I believe that you will be using a mooring. I have heard that you can dock during the day, but overnights you need to moor. The moorings have been redone this year. I would say its best to check your currents and tides and approach from the appropriate direction. Remember that in the Bay, tides can be going in opposite directions close to shore. As for wind, leeward will be safer if the shore allows it. Its a fairly well protected cove. In September and October, the wind should be residing and it will be calmer. Indian summer in October. They have a website under the natl. parks. Give them a call and they should be able to tell you everything you need to know. Thats about all I know. Have fun!

Vaya con Dios
Old 08-10-2007

Chuteman is on a distinguished road
It Depends

GS: Depends = relates to availability of docks........with a 29' boat You have more options as some slips have max lengths ie; m/b <30.
It seems to flucuate like the weather......really sunny, warmer weekend & you will find it tougher. More overcast & cooler, no problem. I was over there on a recent Sun (7/29) and got a slip around 1:30pm with no problem.....and others were still open. It was a cooler & windy day
Don't forget to look on back side (closer to land) but just watch depth/traffic and if still no slip avail, just hang out for awhile. You will find sailboats tend to turnover their slips faster than powerboats who seem to hang out longer...........PLUS keep an eye out on/for Ferry traffic.
Currents - not that bad especially the deeper you go into the cove
Winds - Depending on the time of day, strength thru the slot, direction, etc...there can be some downdrafts......easy to see once you get in there but again no that bad.
I've come to appreciate the place more & more ......
Old 08-10-2007
Semper Gumby

GySgt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to GySgt
Very cool thx Gents
Old 08-10-2007

Chuteman is on a distinguished road
Forgot

GS:
Since You are targeting the end of Sept, I forgot to mention the "congestion" is seasonal.............after labor day it should be much easier unless it's a warm holiday / weekend. The "off season" is still a great time to enjoy the beauty & views.
Took the tour around the island on one trip...........worth it just for the views.
Enjoy!