Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2007

RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
I just got it up and running last week, on the advice of my little bro who captains a large charter yacht in the Med, where all of his crew use it yak to f' and f's anywhere they may be. Yesterday a.m. when I got up, my laptop made a ringing noise and there on the screen is a note that said my bro is calling in. Just slipped on the headphones and clicked the icon. Voila, a free, crystal clear call between So Cal and Sardinia.

Skype is, to quote T. Edison, some real cool ****..........

RB
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
They also have an adaptor to use an ordinary phone and they also have a wifi phone. Really cool .....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-13-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99 View Post
They also have an adaptor to use an ordinary phone and they also have a wifi phone. Really cool .....
Just to clarify? Who does, Skype or Vonage? I believe they both have such gear, but haven't looked at the Skype stuff recently, so I could be a bit out of date on what gear they've got now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-13-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Just to clarify? Who does, Skype or Vonage? I believe they both have such gear, but haven't looked at the Skype stuff recently, so I could be a bit out of date on what gear they've got now.
Skype has the adaptor. As I said before I am a vonage customer for over 4 years. Vonage is a New Jersey based company and has an Ad on TV it seems like every 5 minutes. But I know little about the company. I do get a email when they improve or add a feature and my bill ........ but little else. As my time is short I am looking for anything to keep in contact with my kids and them with me. I will be living in the caribbean before years end.
Old 08-13-2007
'87 Pearson 27'

jackytdunaway is on a distinguished road
i have used AT&T VOIP phone at home for a few years and love it. the only thing different about cruising would be the ability to get a good internet connection.
Old 08-13-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Will you be living on the hook or at a marina? If you're at a marina, with a wifi connection, you could probably keep your existing vonage phone number, and your kids could contact you through that. If you're living at anchor, your options will be far more limited. Many marinas have wifi now. You might need an amplified antenna to maximize your connection...

If you have specific questions on WiFI and amplified antenna, PM me, and I'll write something up for you. I do a lot with long distance WiFi networks.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 08-13-2007

I plan to be on the hook and want to try and visit as many islands as I can. Wifi is of great interest to me.
Old 08-13-2007
Telstar 28

Unless you'll need to speak to them while on the hook, the Vonage thing might be a simple way to go... and you'd have voice mail coverage while you're not reachable. Satellite phone and SSB are both options, but more expensive overall IMHO, and have fairly high initial investments.

Maximum range I've seen on a WiFi connection is over 2 miles... but that was with parabolic grid antenna at both ends...and I don't think an 18˚ cone is going to be sufficient coverage for a boat at anchor...since your swing will probably vary more than that.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 08-13-2007

Skype does offer voicemail for a fee. SSB with a entry price of $3000.00 plus is something I tried very hard to justify, but can't. Satellite phone I have looked into, but the jury is still out on that. I did by a wifi locator ......
Old 08-13-2007
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99 View Post
Skype does offer voicemail for a fee. SSB with a entry price of $3000.00 plus is something I tried very hard to justify, but can't. Satellite phone I have looked into, but the jury is still out on that. I did by a wifi locator ......
The WiFi locators aren't all that useful.

You'd be better off with a "stumbler" program. For the Mac, I'd recommend iStumbler, and for the PC, I'd recommend, NetStumbler. These programs will locate and identify nearby WiFi networks, as well as tell you whether the networks are open or closed—ie, require a WEP or WPA security key.

Telstar 28
New England